“Missed my plane---was mesmorized by Hotel Poseidon”
Review of Hotel Poseidon

Hotel Poseidon
Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Positano
Orlando, Florida
“Missed my plane---was mesmorized by Hotel Poseidon”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

WOW...fabulous hotel where I melted into the enviroment. I truly lost track of days and missed my flight. The good news is I stayed 4 days longer. The breakfast buffet was at least 60 feet long and was included in the price. Same with the the WIFI. Last year I stayed here and came right back ASAP. This year I had a 30 minute massage at the spa---upscale, clean environment. Wish I had spent more time there. The evening entertainment is embedded in my brain; the vocalist serenaded me. The food was so fresh (fish, veal, caprese salad and even brick oven pizza). I have read reviews of "tired look" which surprises me. As a licensed interior design professional (ASID certified in USA), the Hotel Posedion represents Mediteranian elegance, not franchised hotel chains. I LOVE the old world charm and ambiance. There is a small TV room adjacent to the pool/bar area which was perfect to catch a couple of matches of Wimbleton. If anyone has a problem/issue they need to voice it to any of the employees. The staff at Hotel Poseidon is second to none and I travel the world for business/pleasure.....including Bangkok, Thailand, which is known to be outstanding. My experience was 'over the top' FABULOSO and I cannot wait to return and would not change a thing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Isabel P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I've read some of the other reviews and I want to recommend to future travelers to level set expectations. Most hotels in Positano are not renovated - instead, they retain the old Italian charm. Hotel Poseidon is no different, rooms may be outdated and beds may not be as comfortable but I guarantee you, one step onto the terrace/balcony of the room and your breath will be taken away. I thought the location of the hotel was ideal, about halfway between the beach and the entrance to Positano. If you are wondering whether to stay closer to the beach (eg. Covo dei Saraceni or Buca), take my advice - do not. The view from the beach looking up at Positano does not even come close to the view that you will be waking up to every morning. Poseidon has a pool (not common in Positano) which was very nice, and the terrace area surrounding the pool was absolutely beautiful in the evenings, perfect for little apertivos before heading out to dinner. While the price may not be cheap, it is very good value by Positano standards - if you want to spurge, go to Le Sirenese but prepare to pay 2-3x price. We really enjoyed our stay here and would recommend to anyone. Btw - comment on A/C - you really do not need A/C - it cools down a lot in the evenings so no need for an A/C. During day time, why are you in your room??? If we do come back to Positano, would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: any rooms with a view will do (there are a few rooms w/o views so make sure to pay extra for a super...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Red-White-Bubbly
norcross
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and 2 daughters visited this hotel for 4 nights last week and while it was nice it was very tired even by Italy standards. the view from room 57 was spectacular. that is where the compliments stop. the wi fi worked only on the balcony about 50 % of the time. . When we told the front desk they just shrugged their shoulders and said "thats just the way it is always. the beds are a joke . cmon ladies and gents. take one night rent and buy a bed that isnt a decade old. While your at it how about replacing the 12" TV from the nineties for a couple of hundred euros. the HVAC was bareky adequate and we woke up feeling stick every morning, The front desk help was very un inviting. i dont expect people to gush over us but cmon how about some personality. they definitely didn't make us feel warm. the pool closes promtly at 6:00 p.m. no exceptions. because of the proximity to the dining area i could see how it might get in the way of dinner but cmon who eats in italy at 6:00 p.m. after touring the other ports all day it would have been nice for a quick swim to cool off. there is one guy that takes care of luggage , if hes busy your waiting 20 minutes for him like we did, the walk to town is 15 minutes down and 15 up ,the street is much easier. it really wasnt a big deal. there are a few nice restraunts by the hotel that kept us out of the crowds in the cty below. To me a hotel is more that just a good view. if thats all your looking for there are many more places much cheaper than this hotel. i will go back to positano but unless this hotel is updated i will not stay here.

Room Tip: room 57 if your with the fam.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank jim l
Guest R, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Poseidon, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Sir,
thank you for dedicating time in writing your review. What was wrong with the beds? I wish you'd have told us while still here for us to help your stay more comfortable. We do you use orthopedic mattresses which might feel hard but we can change them upon request. Same for the ac if it didn't work adequately, we only wish you informed us (this was checked this morning and it's working perfectly fine). As for the free wifi service it works best around the hotel public areas and we're constantly trying to improve it in all our rooms too.
There is a reason on why the pool closes at 6pm: that's when most of our guests occupy the panoramic terrace to enjoy pre -dinner drinks and due to the pool's proximity to the dining area it's during that time that the restaurant's staff start preparing the tables for dinner (the restaurant opens at 7:15 p.m.)
Hotel Poseidon is family owned and is distinguished by its traditional cozy atmosphere and antique furniture that were collected throughout more than 5 decade, a style that might not be shared by everybody but it definitely reflects the spirit of the area.
I have forwarded your comments to the reception staff and I apologize if you felt they were not very collaborative.
We do take all you comments very seriously and we're always working in order to improve our services, rooms etc.
Warmest Regards
Samer
Massachusetts
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife and two teenagers just spent two nights at the Poseidon. It is a beautiful city and the hotel is in the middle of all the action. The staff is great and really nice and helpful.

Wifi was pretty good and free which in some European hotels is not a given.

Breakfast was just okay but most everything was fresh. There are beautiful views an one should take advantage.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We visited this hotel last week for the second time in the last year .We love to travel and visiting different places but couldn't wait to go back here it's simply fantastic .The views are amazing we had a lovely room with fantastic views and no the rooms aren't the size of hotels in the USA but who goes too gorgeous Positano to spend time in their hotel room . The staff go out of their way to help you and make your stay as enjoyable as possible the breakfast is excellent and if there's something you want that's not out ask and they will make it or you .The main point of difference to this and other hotels is Samir who is the guest relations manager he is amazing will recommend restaurants day trips places to visit and will make all your reservations for you so you can simply enjoy your trip as for wifi we found it worked all over the hotel they also have a little convertible car that they are happy to lend you live music 3 nights a week and the best pizzas in town served by the lovely Fabio the Maitre d who is great fun .

Room Tip: Ask for a higher up room to get a better view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alison c
Hotel P, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Poseidon, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Alison! Greetings from Positano!
Thank you very much for your messagge!
It's really important for us!
I’m Sonia Ferrera, the Guest Relations Manager.
Our philosophy is "A discreet and elegant hospitality,
helps to create a warm and familiar atmosphere allowing
our guests to feel at home".
We hope to have you again with us very soon!.
We remain at your disposal for any request. You can contact me at:
prmanager@hotelposeidonpositano.it
Best regards from all the members of our team ;)
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Poseidon in Positano this past May for three nights at the end of our two week Italian holiday. The location was great, as well as the view from the numerous balconies. However, the bed was the most uncomfortable surface I've ever had the displeasure to lay upon. If you don't like sleeping on concrete, I would suggest looking elsewhere or perhaps we had the only room with such a mattress. Also, after reading such amazing reviews of the hotel staff before traveling, we were disappointed that the staff wouldn't give us the time of day. We were able to plan our own days without much trouble, but got no help when we asked at the front desk. That being said, dining staff were always very nice. Breakfasts were decent, especially the cappuccinos. Our dinner upon arrival was only so-so. Internet access only worked on the balcony, which was somewhat inconvenient when it was raining. If we are lucky enough to go back to Positano, we will look into staying somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ES62012
Guest R, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Poseidon, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for taking time in writing this review. I am really sorry to read that your stay did not measure up to your expectations and I wish you had told us about the hard mattress while still here and we'd have done all what's possible to change it for you.
I also do apologize if you felt that our front desk staff were not as collaborative as you expected and I will make sure to speak to them about it as i have extended your positive comments to the Restaurant staff.
As for the internet connection unfortunately here in Positano we still do not have a cable system and we rely on antennas that are spread all around the hotel premises, however, we're subject to the elements during poor weather but know that we're continuously working in improving the wifi service.
Again I do thank you for your review and really hope you reconsider staying with us if you visit Positano again.
Sincerely
Samer Yahya
Guest Relations
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed June 24, 2013

There is minimal room in the town of Positano and this hotel uses every inch. Although the rooms are small for USA standards, all the amenities are there and the view from each balcony is stunning. We spent three nights at the Poseidon. Our three requirements are a/c, wifi, and pool. all were met exceedingly. The staff are pleasant, helpful, and always ready to make your vacation perfect. Although the front desk can answer your every need, they have a man who serves as guest relations (sorry I can not remember his name). He was like the best cruise director ever! He recommended excursions, restaurants, and was a patient with the details of every question our group of five produced. Superior hotel with amazing views from terrace, restaurant, and rooms!

Room Tip: Superior are worth the view and extra space.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends