La Fenice
Le Agavi Hotel(Positano)
$865
$836
  • Breakfast included
I Giardini dei sensi(Positano)(Great Value!)
$535
$519
Hotel Reginella(Positano)(Great Value!)
$350
$339
  • Breakfast included
Positano Art Hotel Pasitea(Positano)(Great Value!)
$301
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Conca d'Oro Positano(Positano)(Great Value!)
$422
$821
$770
Hotel Poseidon(Positano)
$866
$475
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Palazzo Marzoli Resort(Positano)(Great Value!)
$476
  • Room Service
Hotel Posa Posa(Positano)(Great Value!)
$630
$573
Orbitz.com
$1,101
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsprivate beachfig jamthe salt water poolcroissantsamalfi coastpaniniscaprese saladbreakfast terraceshort walkfresh fruitbeautiful poollovely familyevery morningpool sidethe cliffhis brotherour honeymoon
Reviewed June 20, 2011

La Fenice is a lovely property in a great location in Positano. It is a 5 minute walk into the centre of town and is located both on the top and bottom of the cliff-side. The room we had was lovely, with a gorgeous view of the sea. We stayed in one of the upper rooms. While we didn't get to see the lower villas, we heard that they were spectacular. We only had 2 complaints: the breakfast was the only complaint we had, as it was stale buns and not a very good selection. There was no cheese or meat for breakfast. The other one was the towels: unless you ask for clean ones, they don't get changed. The sons of the owner were the loveliest, most helpful guys, and a pleasure to get to know. They provided many ideas and suggestions for things to do, places to visit and restaurants to try. All in all, a lovely and reasonably priced stay.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the lower villas/rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Where do I even start with La Fenice?! I knew before we got there that this place was going to be great. I had a lot of questions prior to committing to making a reservation (their website is beautiful but doesn't offer a lot of details). I communicated via e-mail several times with Costantino and his sons and they promptly answered my (many) questions. We knew going into it that the rooms are simple, there's no A/C and that the pool wouldn't be open until June. I've done enough traveling that I know not to assume anything. You have to ask. Also, don't go to Positano if you don't plan on climbing LOTS of stairs and hills.

Anyway, my husband and I were on our honeymoon. They sent a driver to pick us up at Naples airport and also helped plan a day trip to a winery in Tramonti. This turned out to be our very favorite day of our trip and we would have never known about this beautiful place if it weren't for Costantino and his family recommending it. They also made dinner reservations for us (Max was my favorite restaurant), arranged for our day trip to Capri, got us stamps for us to send our postcards...I could go on and on. I have never experienced the hospitality that I received at La Fenice. Oh, they also had a bottle of sparkling wine & a cheese/meat platter waiting for us when we got there :)

We stayed in one of the cottages and let's be honest, where else can you find a private cottage where you feel like you're in the only people in the world in Positano?? We really enjoyed that it was located kind of on the outskirts of Positano. It was nice going into the heart of town and then coming back to our incredibly quiet and private cottage with the most beautiful views everywhere you look.

This place and the family that runs it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Reviewed June 14, 2011

What an absolute gem of a place..... This is one of the nicest places I've stayed in in a while. Booking online can sometimes be a bit nerve wracking, but rest assured Costantino and family will look after you here. The location is perfect, the tiny private beach a treat, the views from our bedroom and bathroom unbeatable!

Everyone was so helpful, friendly and obliging..... We loved it!

Reviewed June 13, 2011

We loved La Fenice and hope to go back soon. Constantino and his family are friendly and interesting people who were wonderful hosts and made us feel at home. They made great restaurant recommendations and took care of all reservations for us (Da Adolfo is an experience not to be missed, we also liked Buca di Bacco very much). Breakfast was simple but sufficient (great cappuccinos!). The hotel has its own private beach, which is extremely rare in Positano. They also have private parking which was perfect for us since we drove from Napoli. The hotel is conveniently localed, just a few minutes (10-15) by foot from the center of the city. Our room had a private terrace with the most amazing ocean views I have experienced, just being able to enjoy some wine there at sunset made the entire visit worthwhile. The rooms themselves were very clean, comfortable and quite spacious, this is no luxury hotel but we felt it had a rustic, authentic feel that made it very charming. If you are looking for a boring, plain vanilla American hotel chain this is not for you but why would someone look for that in the Amalfi coast? Finally, value for money is the best in town.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I realize the family is nice. I know they're hardworking. And the physical location has a lot of potential. But they really need to invest some money in this place.

We made the hike to La Fenice from the ferry, carrying and pulling our luggage. When we finally got there, covered with sweat and out of breath, Constantine's wife happily showed us to our room. What a dump! The bed sagged in the middle; the room was filled with insects, and worst of all, no air conditioning. I asked if they even had a fan; she said no (no air conditioning and no ceiling fans??)

We decided we could survive as long as they had a pool (it was late May and quite warm already.) To our dismay, Constantine's son told us sorry, the pool was pumped from the Mediterranean and couldn't be filled until June 1.

That was a deal breaker. We left and went back down the hill to the Hotel Marincanto, which turned out to be our favorite hotel of the trip.

5  Thank GamecockFan