“Wonderful”

Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Positano
London, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We just returned from a long weekend last weekend for my birthday. We stayed in room 27. We had a fantastic time, cant say enough good things about the hotel. The room was gorgeous, breakfast amazing, staff helpful, location perfect. All excellent. They put on a free boat trip one day which was very nice.

Would recommend eating in the pizzeria on the walk to the beach furthest to the right of Positano ferry point- best pasta ever. Chez Black was good too. We did a day trip to Capri - avoid a Sunday.

Overall this really is an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: We had room 27 with a partial sea view - it was gorgeous.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Alberta
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have wanted to stay at the Palazzo Murat since reading a travel article about it a few years ago. I finally got the chance to stay there for three nights in June and I was not disappointed. The experience begins when you step through the entry loggia into the elegant courtyard of this 18-century palazzo that was once the summer residence of Joachim Murat, king of Naples. The building is wrapped in glorious old bougainvillea vines and has a two-tiered fragrant garden bursting with citrus fruits. The staff offered us a refreshing glass of lemonade while we waited for the check-in process to be completed and this wonderful service continued throughout our stay. Mornings, we were greeted with a warm smile by Chico, a senior staff member who presided over an impressive breakfast buffet eaten under flowering trees. We also enjoyed an outstanding meal at the hotel’s Al Palazzo restaurant, offering elegant regional cuisine. The staff were knowledgeable and gracious, and quickly able to alter a set-menu meal to accommodate my sister’s seafood allergies. The staff were also happy to arrange transfer by private, air-conditioned car from Naples which was a wonderful way to reach Positano. We had a garden room on the ground floor which was spacious and cool with a beautiful little patio overlooking the glittering doom of Positano’s Santa Maria Assunta church. One note about the bathroom: the tub was quite narrow by North American standards making it a bit of a balancing act to shower. We enjoyed the hotel’s pool also – a great place to cool off at the end of a day of sightseeing. My only regret is not being able to spend more time at the hotel since there is so much to see along the Amalfi Coast. Is the cost of this experience high? Yes, it was but worth every penny.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Michelle C
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Six years ago I was on holiday with my boyfriend and I took a photograph of a hotel doorway in the streets of positano, at that time I said, wow, Ill love us to get married here, on 12 July 2014, we did!! This place is amazing and beautiful, the setting doesn't need words, it's inspiring and charming and does not need my review. What does is the unbelievable attention to detail that Filomena and her team showed in planning our wedding reception which we held at the palazzo Murat! I. I contacted Filomena 12 months ago regarding our wedding and she had been nothing but efficient, professional and personal which was great as I'm based in the uk planning a wedding in Italy. I could write all day about how perfect the day was but for anyone planning a wedding in this beautiful part of the world my recommendations would be (and I'm a perfectionist!), if you are getting married here the amalfi coast is obviously special, our wedding planner Raf was amazing, I bombarded him with emails and he was brilliant, responsive, very informative, always on hand and a lovely guy, it was so special to have someone translate our ceremony who had got to know us over the last 12 months, brilliant guy! Secondly Bruno of amalfi coast music, this guy is brilliant, he epitomises cool, I asked Bruno if he could learn a special song for me to walk down the aisle to, music was so important to me and he nailed it!! From the ceremony to together evening Bruno was fab, and max, his guitar player, we wanted a chilled vibe and they provided just that, but with a little bit of rock n roll that every wedding needs! My next recommendation would be Zoe Graham, what a perfectionist this women is! Thanks it her, I felt amazing!! Zoe did our make so spent time in my room when I was probably most nervous! She made me feel like I was at a spa, totally relaxed and the make everyone of my guests commented on, it was fab, plus I have it say she enjoyed my playlist, a true country girl! Ok my last recommendation and I've saved the best till last is Frances Heath, photographer, I haven't even seen the photos yet but I cannot recommend Frances enough! She was amazing, her duties went above and beyond being a photographer, she's fun, relaxed, professional, she even arranged good weather for me! I can't thank Frances enough or recommend her ! Ok, bit of a long review but it's was just amazing!! X

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Debs12714
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 15, 2014

One night at Hotel Palazzo Murat was one night too many. We were given room 41 - so far away from anything else in the hotel that the wi-fi wouldn't reach. "Garden view" was the fence covering what appeared to be the pool equipment. Bathroom was covered with ants - even with no food apparent. Bedding was torn and room looked nothing like the charming pictures on the website.

The restaurant appeared to be very nice and the location was central to everything. If you plan to stay, make sure you are not given room 41! Other guests seemed to be very pleased with their accommodations.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank GolferBarbie
palazzomurat, Direttore at Hotel Palazzo Murat, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
This review refers to the stay of two nice Ladies. (see the one published on July 03rd)Fortunately it was not a party of 5 people, we could have receive 5 reviews for one night stay in the Garden View Room.
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Lovely place just above the beach at Postiano, behind the church. The AC in our first room didn't work and they had to switch us. Other than that, no complaints.

Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2014

For our first visit to the Amalfi Coast we could not have chosen a better place to stay. Palazzo Murat is outstanding in every way - wonderfully comfortable rooms, delightfully elegant and comfortable sitting rooms, the most attractive terrace for breakfast (which was outstanding) or for a coffee or early evening drinks. We ate in the restaurant (delicious) on our first night as we arrived late but tasted several great restaurants in Positano on other nights. The staff are among the best I have ever found in any hotel - helpful, informative and attended to every detail.Though not cheap, Palazzo Murat was excellent value.
We were in Posotano for the wedding of a friend's daughter. If anyone is considering getting married on the Amalfi Coast you must have the reception at the Palazzo Murat - it was stunning.
I am running out of superlatives for this hotel. It was absolutely perfect.

Room Tip: As far as I could tell all the rooms were quiet and excellent
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank A W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2014

my husband and i stayed here last november for our honeymoon and till now we still talk about our stay in this hotel. the hotel is in the perfect location with shops on the door step, two minutes to the beach, restaurants and ferry and 5 minutes to the bus stop. As soon as you come of the busy pedestrian walk way and step onto the hotel grounds, you'll realise how peaceful and relaxing this hotel is.
the staff were amazing, helpful and friendly. we were greeted with fresh lemonade and a tour of the hotel before being shown to our room.
We were on the 2nd floor and the room was spotless with 2 balconies overlooking the garden and views of the sea and the incredicble costal line and cliffs. Cleaners would leave a card letting us know what the weather was like the next day and we certainly did not mind them leaving us a few lemon bolls every day.
Breakfast was wonderful and served in the garden and dinner in the hotel restaurant was amazing as well. service was brilliant and we were really looked after
Positano and the amalfi coast is truly a beautiful place and staying in this hotel has completed our stay and made it the most memoriable holiday. call us boring and unadventurous but we will definately be coming back and staying in this hotel again!

Room Tip: rooms on the second floor overlooking the garden
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple