“Amalfi coast day trip”

Enjoying Italy Private Tours
Ranked #43 of 50 Tours in Positano
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My son and I recently visited Sorrento for 8 days, on our own, and took a day to see the coast, visiting the towns of Positano, Amalfi and Atrani. We did not do Ravello, just too much hassle on the bus. Doing this using public transportation, the Siti buses from Sorrento, takes patience and fortitiude. Try to pick a day that isn't too hot ( we were there end of Sept in a 'heat wave' ) and a day with temps above 80F will be more difficult to enjoy the sights, unless you love hot and humid. The line to catch the bus in Sorrento at the train station is long ( we arrived at 11am, having been told they are worse earlier), and had to wait for 3 buses before we could get on with a seat. (about an hour+)You don't want to take this bus and have to stand for an hour to Positano. Sit on the right side if you can for the best views. I found Positano difficult to navigate, confusing winding streets, all down hill which means you have to walk back up for the bus to Amalfi. Mostly expensive boutiques, not my thing. Had it been cooler, my impression would have been more positive, but the views are lovely. Waiting for the bus to Amalfi, again crowds of tourists , the stop is just on a street corner, and the buses seem to run when they want, not very often. However, since lots of folks get off in Positano, you can usually get a seat to Amalfi. But they pack the buses to standing room. Amalfi is a delight, and much more walkable than Positano. We walked to Atrani, about 15 min away. It took us 3 trys to find it ( the Rick Steves guidebook directions were terrible), and you just have to walk along the highway next to the water, which has no shoulder or sidewalk, heading east, around by the Hotel Luna sign, keep going on the highway(eventually you see a tunnel and sign "Atrani") or take the steps under the Luna sign, and they should take you up the the alleys that lead to Atrani. Very charming- no tourists. Back to Sorrento from the waterfront where the buses are parked was a mob scene at 6pm, people gather for the bus like 30-40 min before it leaves. We did get a seat, but only because we went for the 2nd door of the bus, not the front door. Sit on the left if you can, for gorgeous sunset views. I'm sure crowds diminish in later Oct. but so does the bus frequency. We had a nice day, but there were moments when I wished I had booked a tour.

1  Thank CTtraveler2009

Reviewed July 10, 2012

You must visit the most wonderful jewelry store in Positano. The owners, Margherita & Federico Dinelli, were so kind, friendly and very helpful not only in showing their beautiful jewelry but giving great ideas for beautiful sites & dining during our visit. It made our visit to Positano very special and our purchase of several lovely pieces of jewelerly will keep those memories close to my heart.
Please visit Feludei Sri, you won't regret it!
Jackie R

Reviewed June 4, 2012

My husband and I hired ADRIDRIVE, the guide's name is Adriano for a tour of the Amalfi coast area. First of all this area area is very beautiful. The roads are twisty and there is quite a bit of traffic so I don't advise renting a car. Our driver was wonderful. He has a lot of personality and knows a lot about the area also he is a very good driver. He took us to a bakery that had little lemon cakes, he bought for us, and they were so delicious. The store had pictures of the Pope at this bakery. We stopped at Ravello (very quaint area with a killer view), Amalfi, Minori, Majori and a few other small towns. We also had our driver take us to a store, as we needed some things like Pepsi, shoe laces and batteries. He took us to a large store sort of like Walmart, the name was Eucean (I think). Anyway it was a great day. This company's email is adridrive@alice.it. Email me if you have any questions.

2  Thank kypat
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Positano is a vertical village with an approximate population of 4,000 residing on the cliffs of the Amalfi Coast. At first glance, it looks like the pastel colored residences have been airbrushed onto the face of the cliff. The ride from Sorrento to Positano is not for the faint of heart, as the winding road is sometimes frighteningly close to the edge of the world as it would seem. Also, unless you have the stamina to navigate footpaths and stairs, this village is not going to work for you; however, if your heart can take the ride and the physical maneuvering, you will be blessed by a visit to this incredible town. We were amazed to see cactus growing here, as one always thinks of Arizona or New Mexico in the USA for this horticultural species. Photo ops don't get much better than those presented by Positano.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 9, 2010

What an excursions! The driver was on time and waiting for us at our hotel, he drove carefully and we could enjoy all the trip. The coast is wonderful! The sea was light blue, the sky clear and the sun absolutely yellow and what we have just done was enjoying the atmosphere and the uneven coast.

They took us to a lovely restaurant where we had lunch and in the afternoon we discovered the famous Positano and we were not disappointed at all. Fantastic and in such a Mediterranean style!

The guide and the driver took special care of us and made us feel like we were friends rather than clients. What a wonderful feeling!

I want to say thank you to Enjoying Italy who gave us the opportunity to spend such a lovely and entertaining day on the Amalfi Coast, adding extra value to our honeymoon!

For all those who are looking for wonderful guided tours in Italy, I would suggest to visit www.enjoyingitaly.com

Thank you very much again guys and hope to be travelling back to Italy very soon!

4  Thank SerginoB