“Cooking Vacations with Chef Lucia in Sorrento” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cooking Vacations Italy

Cooking Vacations Italy
More attraction details
Owner description: National Geographic hails Cooking Vacations, the leaders in culinary tours, hands-on cooking classes, food market visits & cultural adventures in Italy. At Cooking Vacations we bring you the best hands-on cooking classes & cultural tours in Italy’s 20 Regions. You will learn to cook traditional Italian recipes with excellent Chefs, local expert cooks, Nonnas, pastry artisans and bread & pizza makers. Our Italian culinary holidays are original, authentic, and include market visits, vineyard tours & cultural landmarks. We are Italian and share our love for cooking in our culinary vacations with you. Through Tuscany’s vineyards to truffle hunting in Bologna, making pesto in Cinque Terre to pizza-making in Sorrento, peeling lemons for limoncello making in Positano to rolling cannoli in the shadow of Mount Etna, Sicily, we welcome you to our Italy. We welcome you to our Kitchen in sunny Italy.
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Cooking Vacations with Chef Lucia in Sorrento”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

We had a wonderful time from the moment we were picked up at Naples Train station for the drive to Sorrento to our departure 5 days later. We had great accommodation over looking one of the bays at Sorrento and to Mount Vesuvius. Our days with Chef Lucia were packed with cooking and visits to the local markets, a Mozzarella cheese factory, wood fire bakery and her family butcher. She was a great cook and hostess with an amazing amount of energy. The meals we cooked were fantastic and very abundant. Our tour of the Amalfi coast after the cooking class was a great threat and our driver Alfredo was very good.

2 Thank Patricia M

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

I loved my experience with Cooking Vacations in Positano. Every detail was handled beautifully. Our hotel, Villa Franca, was exquisite... and our cooking class there was fun and memorable. From start to finish, Lauren and the rest of the team at Cooking Vacations went out of their way to make the stay perfect. In addition to the cooking class, I also participated in the writing workshop with Elizabeth Berg. Elizabeth was gracious, knowledgeable, and a joy to be with. This is definitely a 5-star trip.

2 Thank dbswriter
Gardner, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cooking/Writing with Elizabeth Berg in Positano”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

This trip was a dream come true for me. In writing workshop with Elizabeth Berg and 4 kindred spirits in the beautiful town of Positano. I woke every morning, stepped out onto my balcony and was graced with the amazing view of the Amalfi coast...Mount Vesuvius in the distance and the Mediterranean Sea at my feet. The staff at Villa Franca were courteous and very accommodating. Elizabeth was an amazing, compassionate, and kind teacher in every way. I didn't want our time to come to an end. I highly recommend this experience to everyone. I have no regrets!

1 Thank jrnlwtr
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Highlight of our trip to the Amalfi Coast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I signed up for the pizza-making course in Positano and were very happy with our experience. It took place in a restaurant kitchen in the midst of Positano that was convenient to get to and we were promptly greeted by a super friendly Cooking Vacations staff member when we arrived. There were only three of us in the class so I felt we got a lot of individual attention. In addition to learning to make pizza dough and shape it properly (which apparently I am very bad at!), we also made arancini, croquettes, and torta caprese (almond flour chocolate cake) which were all delicious. Other reviewers mentioned that they felt the class could be more hands on, but I was happy with the amount of hands on experience we got. The three of us took turns kneading the dough, stirring and tasting the risotto, etc. to get a feel for what we were doing and then had assembly lines for the croquettes and arancini. Most of the class was with the restaurant chef and then we formed and assembled the pizzas with a pizza chef who did not speak much English. However, I don't think it hindered the class much because mostly we were trying to mimic his motions with flattening out the dough. I do wish we could have had some instruction on how to make a good sauce.

After our pizzas came out of the wood-burning oven we got to sit outside and enjoy a nice lunch as a waiter brought out our food. The chef did fry our croquettes and arancini for us. We returned to the restaurant where the class was a few days later for dinner and the chef came out to say "hello" and gave us some complementary appetizers and limoncello which was a nice touch.

Since coming back to the US we've tried recreating the Neapolitan pizza we learned to make and our crusts are turning out fantastic...even without a wood-burning oven!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Kateroni
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pasta Making Positano”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I attended the pasta making class while we were vacationing in Positano. We weren't sure what to expect as this was our first cooking class but any expectations going in were far exceeded. We had a great time learning to make a variety of pasta with a lot of hands on time. We also witnessed the true efficiency of an Italian kitchen as the staff was buzzing around us to prepare for the upcoming lunch rush. They were never too busy to stop and show us their technique and even let us get in on the action. I would highly recommend Cooking Vacations and hope I am back again soon to experience another class.

Visited November 2012