All reviews amalfi coast other hotels free shuttle yogurt included breakfast each morning beach area the hotel offers close to the hotel main beach jacuzzi bus hill town balcony steps views
Reviewed August 7, 2018

I was very hesitant on booking due to some of the negative reviews here but our family was happy at this hotel. At the time that we went (July), Positano was incredibly popular and busy so choices were limited and the price point was high. I am not at all dismissing others' experiences, however, am wondering if some people that had problems each had unique experiences or perhaps some expected a more programmed North American style of service and/or perhaps some did not allow for differences in cultural styles in Italy as we did not notice any particular rudeness that a few others have described here. Definitely staff was not overly gregarious, but we found them all to be pleasant, discrete and courteous. Given we were in Italy I expected staff to speak Italian and they spoke sufficient English for any needs that we had. The hotel is located on the top left hillside of Positano (if you are facing the hillside). There are about 850 steps to the beach (we counted) down a very picturesque series of staircases. Apparently, the hotel has a free shuttle service but we never used it as we enjoyed the exercise of taking the stairs each day (particularly after a heavy meal to work off the calories). The stairs to the beach are not for people with mobility issues. In that case, you may want to pick a hotel closer to the beach on the other side of the hill or time your excursions with the hotel's free shuttle. However, our 7 - 10 year old girls enjoyed the challenge of the stairs with some encouragement. The rooms are a great size, clean and comfortable. AC was great. For four, we had a queen sized bed, a banquette style couch that was made into a single bed and a foldaway that was made up for us at the base of our queen bed. We had a large private balcony ( I think we had room 201). View was fantastic! We didn't use the communal jaccuzzi tub on the adjacent balcony as we were always fairly busy and tired at day's end. We did go to beach (remember to bring your towel to the beach or buy one at one of the cheaper beach shops; I wouldn't rent a chair or towel on the beach as it was outrageously expensive). Beach area for public is a very small area on the main beach but adequate for our neds. We totally understood the hotel's WIFI charge before we went so were not surprised by a WIFI charge and also realized reception can be spotty in Positano due to mountains etc. It's preferable to get free WIFI but additional charges for Wifi happens in many hotels - maybe that will change in future with competitors including in price. Our breakfast was more than adequate. We had to request the evening before via a room service card. We had croissants, bread rolls, scrambled eggs, pastries, yogourt and watermelon. This was included. For an additional charge on the room service slip, you had the opportunity to order more for a charge if you liked a larger breakfast. There is a mini bar with expected high prices of most mini bars. As an alternative, there is a bakery/corner store/deli down the street on the corner for cold drinks, pastries and sandwiches. I bring my own toiletries so can't comment directly on the ones at the hotel. My husband used them as he is not brand particular and noticed that they had a unusual clove type of scent. The hairdryer was awesome. It must have been due to the higher voltage as it had the power of a professional dryer which I need for my curly hair. The hotel was nice but quite expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for the large private balcony. View was amazing.
  • Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank 007_lulu
Reviewed July 26, 2018

3 simple things: fights between the staff in front of the guests; 10 euros per day per device for Wi-fi that in addition DIDN'T WORK; staff doesn't speak any language but italian; Daniela, the receptionist, was angry and unwilling to help the guests. I recommend not to stay in this hotel, although it's beautiful and clean, it's a constant tense atmosphere and not pleasant at all.

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
Palazzo Marzoli R, Direttore at Palazzo Marzoli Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2018

Dear guest,

We woulk like to clarify some points of your review becasue are absolutely not true.

That internet is for payment is clearly written on all the websites pages also the one that you have used for reserve.

Our staff is very pleasant with all our guests and it is absolutley not true what your write.

Thank you and Yours Sincerely.

Palazzo Marzoli charme Resort, Positano
Luxury Exclusive Rooms and Suites

Reviewed July 3, 2018 via mobile

I have created this account especially to write this review to save people from a big mistake.
If you want to be ripped off by the rudest and just terrible people who don’t know how to communicate with tourists at all, well look no further! WELCOME to Palazzo Marzoli!
I stayed here with my boyfriend for 5 days and it was THE WORST experience of my life.
1. First day. When we just checked in, I gave them my new dress (I just bought it and did not even wear it yet) for ironing, because they did not have an iron in the room. When I got my dress back, it was DIRTY! Here is the photo. I was shocked, because I checked and it was clean before I gave it to them, it was new!!! I called them politely and asked them to wash it or at least not charge us for this ironing. They were denying their fault, they did not say sorry, they didn’t not even come and check my dress. They just started arguing with us and literally yelling. As a result, they charged us 10€ .
2. Second day. I took a shower and I was about to dry my hair (there was a hairdryer in the room), It was the first time I touched this hairdryer. It turned out that it was broken. I called reception and asked them to come and check why it did not work and try to fix it. The guy came ( he is the shuttle driver, the breakfast server, room cleaner, luggage carrier, and as it turned hairdryer fixer). He came and saw my hair straighter. It was not on, because I just washed my hair, (women must understand that first, you should dry your hair and only then straight!!) and he starting blaming me that I burned the hairdryer putting it on my hair straighter! I was completely shocked. Are you guys serious? We starting arguing with front desk woman who did not even come and check the hairdryer, she just believed that guy and was trying to charge us for 80€. As a result, they gave me very old hairdryer that at least worked and when we were checking out they again tried to charge us for that hairdryer and when they didn’t have anymore arguments to say, they said you can pay and TAKE that old hairdryer with you! So she was literally SELLING the hairdryer to me, she just wanted money from us by any way!! Also son of owners was there and without knowing the situation he started arguing with us saying: if you don’t want to pay, just say you broke it, it’s ok. WHAT??? Me and my boyfriend had no words. ALL IN ALL, THEY CHARGED THESE 80€ FROM OUR CARD WITHOUT LETTING US KNOW!!
3. Chargers when you’re checking out: 30€ per day for hotel parking (we were lucky because as we read, they choose people and give them different charges, some of customers payed 40€, some 35€ per day); 40€ city tax; 10€ for ironing and spoiling clothes.
4. Also what made me shocked that after we checked out we decided to read other customers’ reviews in every single source, so we realized that hotel staff make FAKE ACCOUNTS in Facebook (you can check it) and give themselves 5 stars and such reviews as: “wonderful place”, “charming and polite staff”, when we saw that, we were literally laughing crazy!! Are you guys okay?? It was really creepy!!
NEVER NEVER NEVER stay there in your life, if you don’t want to spoil your vacation completely.
They just don’t know how to deal with hospitality business, how to behave in such situations as I had, and just how to communicate with their guests! Horrible place.
Here are the photos of my spoiled NEW dress and of how they “cleaned” the room.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple
4  Thank EatPrayLovemasya
Palazzo Marzoli R, General Manager at Palazzo Marzoli Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2018

What you write is absolutly false and we don't losse any more time to answer this review.

We have brought back the washed dress is ironed, without any problem, maybe you have dirty it trying not to pay, because here we are not crazy.

Like the furniture, maybe you've got it dirty because our maid staff every moorning clean all the hotel.

The hair dryer was new buy 2 weeks ago, your girlfriend burned it with the hair plate (which perfectly matched the shape).

Our Staff checks at every departure the whole room, including every accessory of the room (if the hair dryer had been damaged we would have replaced it).

Strangely you called us from the room saying that you had burned the phon, we have clearly informed you that it should have been paid and you said yes at check out, then at check out you changed completely version saying we were not already there so.

So this is not absolutely correct of you now writing a whole other version. Despite everything at check out we did not pay anything and this is thanks.

That the parking is for payment is clealry written everywhere.

Absolutley is NO true that the city tax is Euro 40,00.

You are cleary defamation our hotel and now we will kepp all the actions possible for make it stop.

La Caravella Positano Apartments, Rooms and Suite On the Beach

Reviewed June 30, 2018 via mobile

Palazzo Marzoli is a nice hotel well situated to enjoy the beauty of Positano and the wider Amalfi Coast. It is very expensive for the services provided and unbelievably does not include free wifi in the room rate. The view from our room was spectacular and the room was beautifully appointed. Breakfast served on the balcony was very nice.

Stayed: May 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 27, 2018

Extremely disappointed and quiet frankly shocked over the extremely rude and horrible treatment as a guest at the Palazzo Marzoli. The staff was extremely discourteous, yelled and raised their voices publicly and embarrassingly in front of other hotel guests and was purposely vague about unexpected and non-agreed upon costs at the end of the trip. Although, the room was paid in full and in advance, we were rudely harassed and yelled at upon leaving for dinner on our last night by a older gentleman yelling "YOU PAY! YOU PAY!" to our surprise from all things from their incredibly expensive wifi to their NOT-complementary "shuttle" as an excuse for not calling taxis as requested. We were then presented with a hand written amount which was owed to the tune of €1,800 with no specifics of the charges. We then aimed to discuss the charges calmly only to be presented with attitude, raised voices and an incredibly rude staff who was clearly out to charge our party with items which were never ordered or agreed to. I recommend staying here if you would like add horrible hospitality, rudeness and being ripped off to your itinerary! They should be ashamed to run a business in this horrible fashion - spread the word and do not waste a cent on this establishment! I would rather sleep on the beach then this awful hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed: June 2018, traveled with friends
3  Thank 818TravelGirl
Palazzo Marzoli R, Manager at Palazzo Marzoli Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2018

We know that this comment is form the same person down here "megahnhaffey".

Dear Customer,

Our friendly staff is friendly with all our customers.

Every extra ride for the taxi and other extra services we clearly say that are for payment and always we say this to you, you say ok we pay at checkout.

At the check out time when we presented you what you had to pay, you said no, finding excuses not to pay.

We have requested only what was to be paid that you did not pay complaining and making stories.

If you continue to write false negative review we will contact you from our lawyer.

Yours Sincerely.