“Wonderful Food and Service”
Review of Ristorante Max

Ristorante Max
Reserve with
Ristorante Max is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 90 Restaurants in Positano
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have dined at Restaurant Max several times and love the experience. Make a reservation during the day for dinner and request an outside table in the courtyard. I absolutely recommend the calamari (baby squid). The bodies are stuffed with creamy fresh ricotta cheese and the tentacles are grilled to have slightly chared tips. They come four per serving and you will not want to share. Then choose a wonderful entree - the zuppa de peche (fish stew) comes with an incredible variety of fresh fish and shellfish in a garlic tomato broth with grilled toast points served in an elevated copper pan. OMG. I am a complete chocolaholic except at Restaurant Max. You must have the lemon mousse. Go straight for the mousse itself - put a spoonful in your mouth...wait for it...the temperature of your mouth will cause the mousse to instantly liquify exloding lemon flavor through your mouth and nose. I went to the kitchen to hug the pastry chef! You must descend two flights of stairs to get to the restaurant ...remember that you will have to ascend them after dinner so watch your vino intake. This restaurant has a very good celler and decants your wine. The service is spot on and graciously paced. Do not rush. Enjoy the art in this romantic setting.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Actually, I had great difficulty taking a restaurant in Positano with the name "Max" seriously, even though it was highly recommended by our hotel concierge. To add to my disbelief, it was down a long staircase between 2 bank ATM's a hundred yards from the towns main bus stop. We took a chance and ventured down the stairs. To our surprise, we discovered a combination beautiful old wine cellar, art gallery and restaurant all rolled up into one. The placed just oozed tastel!!! Unfortunately, they were full that night, and the wait was going to be long. So I made a decision to make a reservation for the following night, which was my birthday. My wife had been asking me where I'd like to have dinner on that grand night for the past few days. I didn't know until I saw Max! When we returned the following night, we were not disappointed. Great menu, great service with a large helping of rich ambience. I highly recommend Max!

Reviewed November 22, 2012

BEAUTIFUL restaurant! Amazing calamari! Amazing wine! Great service, wonderful atmosphere - I could not love this place any more... I can still taste the calamari!

1  Thank Msobering
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I went to spend 5 wonderful nights in positano to celebrate our 8 year wedding anniversary. We wanted to eat wonderful Italian food and this place certainly did not disappoint. The wine choice was also exceptional so it was great that the head waiter had a great knowledge in wine and was able to make good suggestions. This meal was wonderful. I had the lobster linguine with tomatoes and because I love clams so much the waiter said he would happily add some to my dish which made this meal even better and probably my favourite in positano. andy had the fish which was also delicious. It has art on the walls which gives it a bohemian feel with an abundance of flowers in the patio garden that smell beautiful. Try and and get a table in the garden. It's was really romantic and the perfect venue for couples as group alike. When in positano again this will be top of the list !

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Great find! Recommended as the best but sometimes that isn't always the case. The food was very good and a great wine wine list. Beautiful dining in a cozy room with good waiters, a little stuffy but to be expected.