“Magical”

Ristorante La Cambusa
Ranked #37 of 85 Restaurants in Positano
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
New York
“Magical”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

Reserved a table (recommended, as it was completely full). Did not check reviews first as we decided to go there for the view alone. We were overly impressed! The service was impeccable, the food delicious and flavorful, the decor and ambiance, second to none.. As we were so enjoying ourselves, we decided to check the reviews, and again, I am disappointed in humanity:-) People trashing the place, because it's overpriced? The waiter couldn't do two things at once? I am a snob, I have no problem admitting it:-) if I shell out the dough, I expect quid pro quo on return, and I was impressed as it exceeded our expectations, albeit we didn't have anything to base it on. However, all in all it was a magical dinner.

I would strongly recommend this place, as it was on par with one of the finest places I ever ate at, and that is saying something, in my not so humble opinion:-)

I can't help but wonder, did they get better since the negative reviews or are people just mean?

The only caveat I can add, that it is expensive, but not that much more than any other top spot on Amalfi coast. And the menu choices were a little limited, too much seafood heavy, however it is the coast of Italy after all..

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
“Awful food, RUDE AND ANGRY WAITERS, do not waste your money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

RIDICULOUSLY RUDE WAITERS, bad service, mediocre food at best. The restaurant was empty when we walked in, which should have been our clue to turn around. The waiter very unenthusiastically pointed to the table and then disappeared for 20 min finally reemerging with an annoyed look to take our order. The only time we saw him again was to produce a check. He pointed to the second most expensive bottle of wine when I asked for wine suggestions at 90EU. The rest of the staff was plain rude. Our only disappointing food experience in Italy. Do not come here, WASTE OF YOUR MONEY.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Anna E
“Worst service I've had in years”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

We are staying a week in positano with our family of 5. I read on lonely planet that La Cambusa was delicious and reasonably priced and frequented by locals in spite of being in a touristy location.

Only the food was above average.

We had a waiter that clearly hated his job and was annoyed by our every request. He seemed baffled when my oldest son asked for Parmesan on his lasagna then proceeded to dump about 1/3 of the bowl of cheese on his lasagna.

We asked him if he could take a picture of us and he responded 'ONE AT A TIME' bc he was already taking one of the people behind us (unknown to me). He then proceeded to take an accidentally 'selfy' then handed the phone to me and said 'FIX IT'.

The selfy of the waiter turned out to be the best part of the dinner Bc my oldest son made it my screen saver and we laughed repeatedly about how rude he was.

To top it off, our waiter left us and his other tables about 2/3 of the way through dinner and never returned. We got our check from someone else who tried to be polite.

There were NO locals there that night and the place felt very quiet, formal and touristy.

On the plus side, the bottle of wine called Furore from the amalfi coast was delicious and reasonable at 30 Euro but the meal was 150 Euro total for five people to eat a couple of appetizers, 5 plates of pasta and the wine.

Massive disappointment.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Skindoc1
London, United Kingdom
“Great food, service ok ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We came here on our first night in Positano upon recommendation
Food was excellent - raw fish and then the mixed grill fish

Service was perfectly fine but disappointed when we saw one of the waiters pocket, rather than share,the tip we left - tainted our impression

“Exceeded Expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

Luciano and Roberto were our introduction to La Cambusa. They were helpful and courteous hosts with delightful personalities. We were surprised with our delicious complimentary entree of bruschetta brimming with tasty cherry tomatoes and basil. My linguine pasta with capers, olives and cherry tomatoes was delicious and reasonably priced at €10. The ambience was excellent with great views of the sea.

Visited May 2014