“Big disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Da Adolfo

Da Adolfo
Ranked #34 of 85 Restaurants in Positano
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Towcester, United Kingdom
“Big disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

When a family member said we had to go to the Da Adolfo during our trip to this part of Italy, I was excited to go. The thought of taking "the Red Fish" to a secluded restaurant sounded idyllic. When they went there about 8 years ago, the Red Fish was almost begging people to take the short trip with them. Things must have changed.
Some of the issues were admittedly my fault. Firstly, after a very twisty trip from Sorrento to Positano, we were told that the Red Fish was finished taking people to the Da Adolfo until 4pm. We arrived just after 12:30. Since this was supposed to be "the place" to go we spent 20 Euros on a water taxi (great fun, by the way) to get there. The place was very busy but there were vacant tables. Once again, my fault that I did not make a reservation. But we walked up to the bar area and were ignored. I asked the man behind the bar if it was possible to get a table, and we were still ignored, followed by a rather curt "you will have to wait". That was fine. During the next half hour, others arrived by water taxi. Some had reservations and some "special guests" asked for a table, handed over some cash and were seated immediately. I gently asked how long it would be for our table and was told an hour or more. I then said it wasn't fair that if you handed over money you were seated. Amazingly, we were seated straight away, without parting with any money!
As others have mentioned the bare-footed waiters are somewhat arrogant. They do work hard running up to the kitchen area which was almost perched on the side of the cliff. But, when the waiter was taking our order, he started having a loud conversation with one of the other waiters and took off. Another waiter ended up taking our order. This waiter went flying up the stairs and then down with our hot food almost immediately, which made me wonder a bit. The food was okay but nothing to write home about.
We counted our losses, paid the bill, had a swim and took the first Red Fish back to Positano. The place is in an idyllic position. I got the impression it was the trendy place to be seen. Many rave about it, but it was just not for us, which is a shame since I was really looking forward to it.

3 Thank ChinoHills-MK

• Polish first
“Do you like the smell of raw sewerage in the morning????”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

The truth of this place is the antithesis of most of the reviews! What an ugly smelly place it is. We had been told how wonderful it was and had tried to get there yesterday but the ocean was too large. So we waited a day in anticipation and climbed aboard the sweet little boat with the red fish. The unhelpful driver split our family so I had to wait half an hour while my husband and kids sailed to amalfi coast bliss....not!
When I arrived I was shocked at the tiny beach, and wondered why all the people on the previous boatload were sitting cheek by jowl on a few crappy old sun lounges in only one third of the beach. As I stepped ashore I was hit with the waft of raw sewerage and wondered why my husband was sitting up in the restaurant and the children were looking at me imploringly. We were offered two chairs, which we had previously booked, 2 cm from the next people and the chap organising the chairs, amongst the increasingly rising tide, was insistent we have them and could not move them anywhere. Meanwhile the 'hotel' next door had no takers and lots of beach with empty loungers. We left as soon as possible...maybe the food is great but really it was a dump and for lunch a nice salad or panini is all you need. We headed back to small beach which had few people, huge beach, great service and a ten min walk from
positano. Don't be conned by some romantic notion.. This place is crap.

• Visited October 2013
6 Thank Farnorthernexposure
Sydney
“Overated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

We were excited about this place for lunch as it was highly recommended by our hotel.
Unfortunately due to the arrogant and inconsiderate attitude of the waiters and the poor quality of food, we did not enjoy the experience at all.
The lounges also cost 7euro each to use prior to lunch service, which they do not tell you until you sit down to order food. There are better places to eat in Positano itself.

2 Thank Curtai311
Sydney, Australia
“Da Adolfo Rocks!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Everyone raves about this place with good reason. It's cool, it's on a stunning beach (ignore the pebbles) with crystal clear water and cliff views, the food is seriously amazing and comes out very quick. We were there on a Monday (which is the only day they don't get fresh deliveries) so things we wanted had run out (octopus, prawns) by 115pm but everything we had was awesome. The mozzarella on lemon leaf, lobster, whole fish and mussels were fantastic but our favorite was a delicious carpaccio of kingfish. All washed down with the house Rosé and a few beers and then onto the deck chairs for some sun and a swim. Perfect lunch in a cracking spot!!

Note: the boat with the red fish that picks you up from Positano wharf only takes about 10 people at a time. Get down there a good half hour before your reservation and when you see it in the distance, stand on the edge of the dock and hold your ground (lots of people push past you). It's only a 10min ride so if you miss one the boat will be back in about 25min. It's fine to get there early anyway and have a swim before lunch.

1 Thank BellGell
Wentworth Falls, Australia
“Italy in microcosm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Yes, it's chaos. Everyone we had spoken to about going to Positano had said we have to go there, "look for the red snapper on the boat at Positano Marina" were our detailed contact instructions. We were staying near a local beach Arienzo and they kindly picked us up from there, we lounged in beach chairs and swam before going up to the restaurant to eat. Even if you have a booking you might have to wait for a table as no-one is turned away here at da Adolpho, that's how friendly it is. With lots of patrons - many local (always a good sign), lots of waiters - definitely local, and the boat coming in with more customers every 20 minutes or so... It is, how they say in Italy... Pazzo. The best experience of my 3 week trip in the Med. Total chaos ruled by the rock-like serenity of co-owner Sergio. Our waiter, Giuseppe calmly sat and suggested his favourites off the menu for our meal, every one was a delight - Baccala and pasta, seared tuna, crisp whole fish and salad, washed down with vino Bianca and peaches. We stayed late and drank long, I'll be coming back to Positano and lining up every day for Da Adopho.

2 Thank JenMaree T