“Good stop for coffee and ice cream, but very slow service”
Review of Bar Lamia

Bar Lamia
Ranked #35 of 69 Restaurants in Porto Venere
Cuisines: Bar
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stopped by Bar Lamia on our way from dinner and back to the bus station to La Spezia. The place was empty save for one table taken by 4 people, so it wasn't busy at all.

The guy took a good 5-10minutes to come and help us with getting 2 ice creams and 2 coffees. It took so long, that others in the line muttered "guess they don't want our business" and walked away. Since I had a persistent 5-year old with me, I stuck it out and by the end of it, was the only one standing in line :)

The ice creams were decent, nothing exceptional, but not bad by any means. Had the usual flavors, and we stuck to what we knew.

The coffees - a cappuccino and latte - we thoroughly enjoyed, although we wish it was a tad bit hotter. I think us Americans are used to our drinks a bit hotter than they are served in Italy, and this was our complaint throughout our 2 weeks. The flavors were good and just the right amount of sweetness.

There is a large outdoors seating area - you can easily find a quiet spot to chill in.
If you can spend a few more minutes, why not give it a try :)

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Having brought hundreds of gelati's for my kids across countless locations in Italy, Bar Lamia takes the prize for rudest service. The staff member was obviously having a bad day as the extra 5 seconds it took my kids to select their flavours resulted in a rude under breath comment that he thought I could not understand. In a country that is known for adoring children this is unacceptable and glad he was embarassed.

To top that off, the lemon gelato was weak and tasteless, cafe flavour below average and strawberry tasted artificial. Three euro for 2 flavours a bit much.

So overall, Gelato is below average, expensive and the service just down right rude.

1  Thank CatsAndCo
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I went just for the ice cream, it was good, fresh and with a decent amount of flavors. One of the best in Porto Venere (together with that of Atlantic Bar)

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Just like most places in Italy, this place has great coffee. My husband enjoyed fresh orange juice whenever we went here. The sandwiches are ok, though nothing special. The waiter that works here on weekdays is quick and friendly. Thats why we kept coming back here. The guy on the weekend was really slow and missed our table a lot of times. My husband ended up walking to the desk to pay, even though it was not that busy.

Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

This was a good place to enjoy an Italian hot chocolate after exploring the sights of Portovenere. It was delicious, thick and warming. Great to be able to enjoy it indoors overlooking the marina on a cold day. The bar is within walking distance of the bus stop where you can travel to La Spezia.