“Don't be put off by all the steps!”
Review of Hotel Genio

Hotel Genio
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Porto Venere
Melbourne, Australia
“Don't be put off by all the steps!”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

W estayed here for a week 2 years ago and loved it. It has private parking which was a must for us. When we got there ther first thing we saw were all the steps that we would have to negociate up to our room. They were uneven and a little scary, especially as we had 2 large suitcases. Before we even got to start, Igor was there, grabbed our suitcases and quickly took them up for us! This courtesy and helpfulness was a constant feature of our wonderful week! If we came back from somewhere a little hungry, he was quick to make us a pizza accompanied by a glass of wine on the terrace, overlooking the sea. Our room was glorious: overlooking the sea and very comfortable. The port was just about outside our door and so access to the cinqueterre was easy. Everything within walking distance and we also really enjoyed the art exhibition that was being held that week (in the hotel!). We would stay here again. (Only downside, there were some nights that were very noisy - people in the piazza had no consideration for others)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cenza B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Czech first
Christchurch,New Zealand
Reviewed August 23, 2011

My wife and I stayed here in May 2010 for 7 nights and we absolutely loved it. We found Igor friendly and helpful. The breakfasts on the terrace were terrific - crispy fresh bread rolls and beautiful coffee.
We loved sitting on our balcony looking out to sea.
We would come again anytime.
One small downside was having to pay by cash as we were told we could not pay by credit card yet we had to provide a credit card number to secure the booking but I guess that is Italy - some things are un-explainable!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JulianneW
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I've stayed here twice now and adore it. The place is beautiful and the staff are very kind. The rooms are lovely and have the best views. The bathrooms are tiny - but it's Europe! Portovenere is an amazing place and whenever I go back I go to Genio. I will just add that if you can't speak good Italian, bookings and general chat would be difficult. It's not a modern hotel to say the least but they try!

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank Samserena
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Not new for those who read the reviews carefully, but I also was one of those awarded with Mr. Igor lack of professionalism. Made the reservation by internet, with credit card number, date valid, got confirmation e-mail directly from owner, etc. and etc., but when I came in there was nothing but apologies. He offered an "apartment" in the villa as an option which I obviously declined, due to lack of security. Alternatively he accompanied me to Grand Hotel Porto Venere and obtained me a discount in the rates using his “influence and sympathy”. I was lucky there was availability in Grand Hotel Porto Venere, otherwise I would have to sleep in the car or accept stay in the slum apartment offered. I absolutely do not believe this could ever happen, in these days ! He got my telephone numbers and e-mail to advise me previously of any inconveniences and difficulties, but never did ! After all I was glad to stay in Grand Hotel Porto Venere, since it is far better than Genio. The little I saw I concluded it is much more appropriated for backpack travelers, not for a family or a couple in a second honey moon, which was my case. Genio is located in plaza inaccessible by car . Therefore, after carry your luggage for about 500-600 meters you will face endless stairs to reach your room, in case it is available. Again, I was glad to not stay in Genio and would not recommend it to others. If you are travelling with family and kids, you might be in trouble.

Room Tip: Goog Luck,If you can get any room .
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Rooms small but clean, breakfast minimalist, views stunning, location-cannot be beaten, Igor and his Dad--brilliant.

The best place I have stayed in in a long while--its the people and the location that count not the trouser presses, flatscreen tvs and wifi!!!!!

Room Tip: email Igor and be pleasant
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Silverstrummer
New Zealand
Reviewed October 28, 2010

We had a booking (booked in July) for October 5-7th. We still are not sure if it was a con or not but the the booking was confimed with a credit card. I also emailed to double check everything was in order because I had sent the credit card details in two separate emails for security purposes. The owner confirmed the booking. We arrived (two adults with a six year old child), he said the booking had a problem as the credit card had expired - this was not true, it was a new card. He said we could have two rooms, one matrimonial plus one single - for E170 (the original confirmed booking (with breakfast) for one room for the three of us was E100, he also offered us an apartment in the village for E100. We asked to see the rooms and he said not with out paying first (visa card and passport). We left.

Throughout the entire time he was very agressive and unapologetic. We were completely devastated by his attitude - the first of five different accommodations we were to stay at in Italy! We went elsewhere and would never recommend this hotel on the basis of unreliability and questionable personality of the owner. We to this day do not understand his aggressive behaviour.

We found an delightful spacious apartment looking out to the bay of Portovenere - Residence iGabbiani Apartmenti, Maria was delightful.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
8 Thank PhoenixBloom
Slovenia
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Stayed at Albergo Genio for 3 nights while visiting Cinque Terre. It was an excellent location, easily reachable by car and with good connections to Cinque Terre. Portovenere is a small town yet it has enough interesting spots for a short stay. Albergo is a small, family run hotel and its best assets are location and Igor. He was always there to answer our numerous questions and gaves us advices. Due to its location (old city wall) there are many steps to reach your room (but being in Cinque Terre anyway means to be able to hike steep paths). The room itself is clean, not big but roomy enough. The view from front rooms are excellent. Breakfast is served in lounge (or on the terrace wheather permitting) and is of good quality and quantity.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family