I went on honeymonn as my husband and I had just gotten married in Italy so we thought it would be good to stay on. After four wonderful days in Florence (Hotel Golden Tower) we continued onto Elba. When we arrived I didn't realise that it wasn't in Portoferraio at all...this could be my own fault though for not researching the location enough, it costs €30 to take a taxi to the hotel.
When we arrived we were shown to our rooms. The lift /elevator was tiny and smelled. The corridors were terrible and badly lit and when we finally reached our room it was small and the air-con didn't work, lets just say our hearts sank. I don't normally put such emphasis on a room but this was our honeymoon we were paying €350 a night for a "superior" room and we wanted it to be special. It was so bad that I complained right away and told them I was checking out the next day!! They offered us another room...a loft room without ANY air-con so we stuck with the original room and planned on checking out.
That evening we ate at the hotel as we had no other option but this is where things pick up...the food and service were amazing, when we finished we walked down to the private beach and then back up to sit on the veranda of the main villa and all this was again amazing as it felt quiet special. The following morning they offered us a junior suite at no extra cost (the previous evening they said I could change and pay to which I told them that wasn't exactly an offer) so we viewed the room and put into prespective what came with the hotel (food /service /nice evening setting) and stayed. We rented a car for two of the days and drove around but there really wasn't much to see in Elba and it was over-run with tourists (something I wasn't expecting).
If you do stay go with the full-board option of breakfast and dinner, its such good value and is €25PP, which we wouldn't have found anywhere else for the food we received.
So all in all we had a good stay in the end, but feel we wasted the first day checking other hotels for availability and feeling frustated, I wish they had of offered the Suite to us then. The staff are all amazing and couldn't do enough to help us and the SPA is pretty good too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elegance is the keynote of a hotel which underwent large-scale renovation during winter 2007. New SPA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HRS so you can book your Hotel Villa Ottone reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ottone Hotel Portoferraio
- Hotel Villa Ottone Elba Island, Italy - Portoferraio