“Perfect setting for al fresco lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Il Pellicano

Hotel Il Pellicano
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Porto Ercole
QDL
“Perfect setting for al fresco lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Lunch under a shady umbrella,on a gorgeous day, looking over a sparkling sea - wonderful!
I just loved the soft colours of terracotta and planting of this property in a totally secluded setting. We ate in the grill and had a simple but most enjoyable meal of salad and grilled chicken which was full of flavour.
The staff were most attentive and charming especially the young lady from Ischia who was the sommelier.
My only tiny criticism was that various waiting staff were almost too eager to refill our water and wine glasses and it became slightly distracting constantly having a member of staff coming to our table.
I would love to come back and stay at this hotel one day, finances permitting!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Serres, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

great view,very good food, beautiful beach ,easy and romantic - it`s easy to go, but it is far from Porto Ercole so you need to have a car ( there is also hotel transfer to the town ) - very nice view ,the restaurants ,bars and the seaside are very clean and the service very friendly - Iwould like to go there many times

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christinavla
Montreal,Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Wonderful room with view of ocean. Helpful staff amazing food.
Staff arranged a day trip on a boat from porto ercole and had great advice about local trips.
Pool and cliffs amazing with great area by the sea.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Merhardymd
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have read most of the reviews, especially the Average, Poor and Terrible ones. The people that wrote in these categories are obviously unsophisticated travellers who carry emotional baggage far beyond their suitcases.
I have been looking at this property for a long time and finally had the privilege to stay there. Simply stated, it rates right up there with the finest luxury small hotels in the world.
The property is physically stunning, with its brilliant architecture and finely manicured foliage.
The facilities are excellent, well-maintained and the rooms (each one being different) vary from small and comfortable to large and magnificent. All are immaculate.
The cuisine is outstanding in both restaurants and on the beach.
The single best factor that separates Il Pellicano from other luxury properties and makes it so superlative, is the staff; in any organization, a "top-down" phenomenon is seen. Here, it is the General Manager (Danilo Guerrini) that sets the pace. This man is most gregarious, polite, warm and accommodating. He is omnipresent, from morning till night and he runs a tight ship - yet seems to be loved and respected by all the employees. He constantly strives to improve every detail. And this philosophy carries down to every employee, in every department. Always greeted with a smile and by name from all staff, guests feel so welcome and pampered here.
Special mention should be made of Tanya at Reception, Antonio the brilliant and charismatic waiter and Gabriella, one of the wonderful restaurant managers. But if truth be told, ALL the employees exemplify the passion and charm of the General Manager.
I honestly did not expect to enjoy this stay as much as I did. It exceeded every expectation.
Il Pellicano is a

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank travelgurudoctor
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We recently visited this hotel for lunch whilst holidaying in Tuscany. The hotel was stunning and set in perfect surroundings with the most wonderful view overlooking the sea up on a cliff from the terrace where we ate lunch. We were aware that lunch would be expensive as the hotel also has a 2 star Michelin restaurant but as we are real foodies and enjoy eating out at nice restaurants we wanted to try it. Some of the staff were friendly and some walked around with their noses in the air! We were offered their local wine at 18 euros a glass! We declined and choose a bottle instead, the cheapest starting from 60 euros. The pasta dishes we choose for our main were very small (more like a starter) but absolutely fabulous but very overpriced just under 30 euros each! After lunch we had a stroll around the grounds taking in the amazing views and before leaving we asked the receptionist if she could point us in the direction of the bathroom. We told her that we had just eaten lunch on their terrace and before our hour journey back to the wine resort that that we were staying at, we both needed to use the bathroom. She told us to wait a moment and then popped her head into the office door, spoke in Italian and another receptionist came out and said she would take us! When leaving the bathroom I opened the main door to wait outside for my husband and couldn't believe that the receptionist along with another (male) hotel worker was waiting outside the bathroom door for us!. Once she saw me and when my husband appeared from the male bathroom she spoke in Italian to her male colleague who then proceeded to walk back to the reception desk I was so shocked, I couldn't speak. We left the hotel really quite upset and upon arriving back to our villa I really wanted to phone to speak with the hotel Manger to tell him how we had been treated after having spent a fortune for lunch at this 5 star resort. My husband ask me to forget the incident and to not let it spoil the lovely holiday we were having. I don't think I overacted as I think what happen at this hotel was appalling and totally unacceptable. We have travel the world, eating at some of the best restaurants there are and we have visited Italy on many occasions never to experience this kind of unprofessional behaviour. Needless to say we wouldn't recommend the restaurant or hotel to any of our friends or colleagues

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank David R
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband took me here for a romantic 4 day stay. The bed was a little hard for me but I asked them to try to find a solution for this and magically they did just that. The room was a suite and Included in the Romantic package was a gourmet dinner, a massage for both of us and a romantic breakfast with champagne. We were delighted with the food from both restaurants although the prices were a little dear, but the quality of the food was very good. The gourmet meal with a view over the hotel pool and cliff with seaview was great but take mosquito spray. We chose to eat our breakfast out on our balcony that was the size of the bedroom with a giant umbrella but saved the champagne for another day. The beach (well - concrete platform built over the rocks) was straight down the cliff face and you could either walk down or take the elevater. It was difficult to get into the water as you have to climb down a ladder that is very slippery when actually getting your feet wet. On the 3rd day we stayed at the pool. Frankly there was more wind by the pool so it was cooler. This is not a place for children or younger families. It's more for couples seeking romance and calm. Our couple massage was extremely relaxing. As we were there the late part of July, it was not what we would call busy, but on our last morning as we ate breakfast we noticed many more chairs and umbrellas had been placed by the pool, as if they were trying to pack as many as they could around it. Happily we left before the august crowds came.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank RMAN2656
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I am cook. So first things first: food :)

I will never spend 600 EURO in a spa, i think its ridiculous. But I do not mind to spend this amount or even more for a dinner in a good restaurant.
With one but. it has to be worth it. What can I say about their 2 michelin star restaurant …. fusion-confusion. I felt robed.
Yes, serves was excellent. Setting is stunningly beautiful. But i loooove food. And this is the prime reason i go to the restaurant.
To be fare, plates looked beautiful. just right amount of food, lovely colour combinations, modern design. But the taste of most of the dishes is a complete
failure. Some combinations for a simple disaster.
The chef is playing with Indian flavour, trying to implement them into european cooking. Love Indian food. Cook it. Had training in India.
That dishes was just wrong.

Another restaurant's food is more straight forward and simple, but you know, it is fine! I enjoyed my meals there.

The hotel. its OK. The best on the coast for sure. But on the world scale, nothing special. We had garden room. Good size, design is matter of taste. not my cup of coffee.
Gorgeous bathroom thought. Also checked rooms in a main building. I can not imagine anyone who will like it, especially for the money you pay.

Overall: will never come back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 5 in Porto Santo Stefano
Albergo La Conchiglia
Albergo La Conchiglia
#3 of 7 in Porto Ercole

Been to Hotel Il Pellicano? Share your experiences!