“Great Location but not 5star facilities”
Review of Colonna Resort

Colonna Resort
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Porto Cervo
London, United Kingdom
“Great Location but not 5star facilities”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just back fom this resort. Fantastic location nice hotel and staff were very friendly. We were upgraded to a seaview room and we had an amazing view. The pools are great but salt water and cold - not ideal with. Beach was nice but on the small side.

Having stayed at various 5* properties around the world, this is definitely not one. Lack of basic amenities in the room, eg no tea/coffee making facilities or iron (not even available on request). You have to pay to have your clothes ironed! Rooms ok but not luxurious at all.

Restaurants are limited and expensive. Only one choice for dinner which will cost you Eur50 pp including children who have to pay Eur25 per child. Buffet lunch isnt much cheaper - Eur40pp. Most hotels allow children under 4 to eat free, but not this one. Next option is room service. The menu is very limited and not ideal and will cost you Eur8 pp to be delivered. They need to offer more choice in food and restaurants or have the shuttle service to take you to Porto Cervo (they do have one but very limited and stops at 6.30pm) where there are more choices. Shuttle service needs to be operated later that 7pm to allow guests more choice. But I guess the hotel would lose out on revenue if guests went elsewhere, therefore unless you have a car or mega rich, you are stuck for food choices!

To prove the hotel is just after your money - they just hosted The Rolex Party for the yacht crews and us guests had to pay Eur70 pp for dinner instead of the usual Eur50 for the privilege! Expect prices to go up even more now after this event.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are great but expect to pay the premium!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank R M
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

as Manager of the Colonna Resort, I take this opportunity to say thank you for choosing our hotel and for dedicate your time to write this review on your stay in our hotel.

Thank you for the appreciation that you have send to the hotel, as “Fantastic location nice hotel and staff were very friendly. We were upgraded to a seaview room and we had an amazing view. The pools are great . . .Beach was nice “

I'm sorry that you don't consider our hotel worthy of 5 stars, for

- the choose of the restaurant menu (because in addition to the daily menu with price €. 50.00, we have an à la carte menu, with each dish and the individual prices)

- the times of shuttle bus to Porto Cervo center (it isn't absolutely to be customers at the hotel and our restaurant, it is only because it is a courtesy service, with set times, which the other hotels in Porto Cervo don't have),

- the day of Rolex party, the price was € 70,00 instead of €. 50.00, only because it was a buffet and drinks included, while other days not include drinks (this was only to be faster and allow all our guests to enjoy the show that started at 21:00 , the show really great that all our guests have enjoyed a lot, as I imagine also you too).

It is the usual big party, to celebrate the end of races - season in Porto Cervo, that during the summer is part of our fantastic and panoramic view of our Resort.

However we'll try to using your comments in a constructive way, to try to further improve our services and to better monitor what you reported.

I hope of give you again a most cordial Welcome to Porto Cervo, I remain at Your disposal for any need or request,

I take this opportunity to send you my Best Regards.

Porto Cervo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Czech first
Dublin
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We are currently staying in the hotel having been moved from 4 star Grand Hotel Smeraldo Beach which is a sister hotel in which we were initially booked. We accepted the move (was apparently due to overbooking) because Colonna is supposedly 5 star although we were a bit concerned with some of the reviews here and also the fact that it's not walking distance to Porto Cervo (one of the big reasons we went with Smeraldo Beach). We are in Room 1705 which has a really nice sea view and is adequately sized.

The location is stunning- really loved the cascading pools (although I agree with others that having some of them heated might be a good thing- the large jacuzzi perhaps?). The private beach is small but lovely and liked the extra loungers on the wooden decking and it's great for a swim. Also like the free wifi and thought there was a good choice at breakfast.

Now some serious negatives. The service at the pools is very poor, as others have commented upon more staff are needed. I didn't like the €30 daily charge for using the indoor heated pool and thermal suite. Although both are excellent- any 5 star hotel should have this service complimentary. A major issue is that although there are 3 restaurants, only one opens in the evening and, as others have commented upon, it only serves a fixed 5 course evening meal for €50 per head. Last night since we had a large lunch en route we asked if we could have one main course each. No problem if we paid the full €50! Personally I find this ridiculous in a supposed 5 star hotel as there are no other dining options available (except room service). Therefore we decided to get a taxi into Porto Cervo for dinner. Reception called one, which arrived within mins and we were in Porto Cervo within 3-4 mins (it's not walking distance as roads are too dangerous). Imagine our disbelief when we were charged €20 by the taxi driver for this trip. I thought this was one scam artist until we were charged the same on the way back. I informed reception and they told me this is the going rate but agreed it is ludicrous. Now the hotel has a shuttle service but it conveniently finishes at 1830- too late for dinner- which leaves one in the position where you either eat in the hotel and are stuck with the €50 deal described above, rent a car (we have one but wished to have a couple of drinks with dinner) or avail of the nice taxi scam artists. Colonna/ITI has a whole bunch of hotels in the area but I got the district impression that this cozy arrangement is working out in everyone besides the customer's interest so no chance of them extending the shuttle service or working with local authorities to sort out the taxis.

The same complaints are appearing time after time here on TripAdvisor but there is a distinct arrogance about the Colonna management (noticeable when you stay) that suggests that short term money making is first and customer experience second. Short term it may be but judging by most of the comments here, there won't be much repeat custom- ourselves included.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FergalDublin
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the compliments that you have send to the structure, the hotel, the room, the dimension of the room “really nice sea view and is adequately sized”, the location “The location is stunning”, the wellness & SPA, the beach “lovely”, the pool “really loved the cascading pools”, the dek directly on the beach, for a “good choice at breakfast”.

I'm sorry to read a negative part of Your review, especially because it is directed exclusively to the prices of the extra services. Unfortunately, the taxi prices are independent of the hotel.

If I can afford to give you an advice, you don’t write to us "Management need to wake up", it might seem inelegant, and the reader can think you're wrong to write so.

Best Regards.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We came here for two days of our honeymoon and expected five star. By American standards it isn't. By European standards it is. Service isn't great but the resort is very nice and extremely relaxing. The location is good if you want quiet. Considering the prices in Porto Cervo it is definitely the best option. We would come back again!

Room Tip: Get the lunch buffet! Its 40 euro a person but you get a ton of food and it is fantastic!!!!!?
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bgualario
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
as Manager of Colonna Resort, 5 *****, I take this opportunity to say thank You for choosing our hotel and taking your time to write a review regarding your stay with us .

W'll try to using your comments in a constructive way, to try to further improve our services and to better monitor what you reported.

We hope of being able to extend a warm welcome back to Porto Cervo, and We remain at your disposal for any need or request,

San Diego, California
Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

The hotel was beautiful but had some flaws. The beds were very uncomfortable, a 5 star resort should not link 2 twins together and call it a double! Dinner costs a flat fee of 50 euro!!! Not worth it!!! Save your money and find a better place!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Adam J

sorry but it is quite normal that often the rooms are not ready on arrival, at 11 am, in the morning, otherwise we can would ask all guest to leave the room at the start, entrole 8 o'clock in the morning, but not would fair.
The sunbeds pool and beach are always in greater numbers as needed, but only if looking for a specific location maybe those were already occupied.

Seattle WA
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We arrived at our hotel late after we arrived at the Sardinian Port in Olbia after taking a ferry from Civitavechhia. The cost to have a private shuttle was 140 euro each way. I recommend getting your own car if you want to save money - all taxi services are expensive. Although the location of the place was gorgeous - I would have expected more out of the hotel. It was the single most expensive hotel room i have ever willingly purchased (so maybe my expectations were set too high in the beginning), but I assumed with the price you would also get both the service and the amenities. The only value prop beyond the view was the free breakfast. The staff were NOT friendly and some were genuinely rude. The nicest person who was the only one who proactively spoke to me was the bellman who checked me into our room - he should be promoted!! Although we are American, we are world travelers and have spent years in Asia as expats and this hotel may tick all the boxes to be a 5 star hotel, I would say - be ready to spend money like you would at a 5 star resort and be prepared to be ignored unless you need something - and be prepared to feel like an unwanted foreigner who should be lucky to stay in this hotel. Although it is a bit rusty, my second degree in college was Italian, so even though I could speak the language - I didn't get any special exceptions either. They clearly cater to an Italian wealthy Italian clientele and foreigners were scarce while we were there. We came as a family of 4 and be prepared that they do not accept more than 3 people in any room. So not only did I have to pay outrageous rates for 1 room - but I had to do it for 2 rooms. The rooms were clean - but the beds and the furniture was minimal and cheap (or seemed so). Don't trust the photos, they oversell the "poshness" of the hotel. We sat at the pool two days in a row and no one even came over to see if we wanted a drink. I waited until the end of our trip to write this review to see if I was being too hard on the hotel and maybe this is just the way the fancy hotels in Italy are. We stayed in Tuscany at some luxury apartments in Volterra and also at a 5 star Hilton in Venice. These plus our small hotel at the base of the Spanish Steps all exceeded the Colonna Rsort Hotel. I even read some of the poor reviews before I went here and thought they seemed to rough given the pictures. The photos of the grounds definitely sell the hotel, but be prepared - that is about all you get and you pay again again and again while you are there. Sardinia is well worth the trip - the Colonna is not worth the very high price tag. Theee are plenty of beautiful views all around and many other hotels who can take advantage of it at a much more reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Joe V
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the compliments that you have send to the structure, the location and the reception staff .

I'm sorry to read Your review so negative, especially because it is directed exclusively to the prices and the fact that the extra services at our hotel are to pay.
I think, as you've written, maybe the fact that it was the most expensive room that you have bought, this fact has affected your rating compared to the services cost.

Our hotel offers a variety of free amenities, over the breakfast, as Wi-Fi free in every part of the hotel, the shuttle bus to Porto Cervo center , the use of sun beds, umbrellas and towels by the pool, beach, and wood dek on the sea, the gym open from 7 am to 11 pm, a golf course, tennis, the private helipad and a private port, porterage on arrival and departure, for every other request, newspaper delivery, and many others, while some service are paid (as in every hotels of the world) because they correspond to consumption that have a cost and therefore are priced compared to the amount consumed (ex. bar, spa, restaurants, etc..).

With regard to the fact that for two days, at the pool, you could not order any drink, I venture to say that we have our waiters of the Pool-Bar, serving continuously all guest in our pools, all the day, they turn the pools all day, so if you could not order any drink, maybe you don't have wanted to ask to the waiter, because they will be passed neat to you, maybe 20 times a day, anywhere in the pool you were, and maybe they don't ask to you for don't disturb you, as we often do, because all the our hotel staff tries every day to satisfy the expectations of every our Guest, They Try to transform the stay of every our Guest, in a happy experience.

In the hope of give you again a most cordial Welcome to Porto Cervo, I remain at Your disposal for any need or request,

I take this opportunity to send you my Best Regards.

Syracuse, Italy
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We checked in today... And I already regret we chosed this place! How can it be a 5 stars hotel??? From the start, I am pregnant on 7th month, our room was not ready at 11am, so we went to a swimming pools area outside, Its quite huge, but for our shock there were very limited amount of chairs and umbrellas! The staff did not mind our complains. So basicaly we are paying 400€ a night and we have to take a Sun by standing!! Our room was ready only at 14.00 and we found it quite poor for 5stars category... With old and too used towels.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank AnBerg

Sorry but it is quite normal that often the rooms are not ready on arrival, at 11 am, in the morning, otherwise we can would ask all guest to leave the room at the start, entrole 8 o'clock in the morning, but not would fair.
the sunbeds pool and beach are always in greater numbers as needed, but only if looking for a specific location maybe those were already occupied.

Arzier, Switzerland
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Wih a last minute urge to get a beach holiday, I booked a week in this nice resort. On arrival I was a bit disappointed.... This hotel is not in Porto Cervo! Then gain, there is probably only one hotel (Sheraton) actually in Porto Cervo and all the rest of them are located in the immediate area.
This hotel is build in a (I guess) ancient Sardinian style. It's almost a bit like a farmers village, with wooden doors and a lot of exposed brick. The huge gardens, with a golf driving rage included, are lush with flowres. And then there are the five, six, seven pools! A whole pool ladscpae is laid out overlooking the mediterranian and facing actually Porto Cervo proper. And then there is the cutest small beach. I still am doubting if the beach is natural or landscaped, but hidden in a small private bay, with nice pontoons/jetties for additional deck chairs, yo can enjoy the sea to nthe max. No watersport facilities, just the beach......
The two restaurants serve excellent food and the service is friendly.
The room was a bit small and the beds a bit dated, but you spend most of your time by the pool or on the beach, so not a problem.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Eric D
as Manager of Colonna Resort, I take this opportunity to say thank You for choosing our hotel and taking your time to write a review regarding your stay with us.

I send you my Best Thank for the compliments that you have written to the hotel, to our staff and for the hotel services

Hoping to give you again Welcome to Porto Cervo, and remain at Your disposal for any need or request,

I take this opportunity to send you, my Best Regards.

Stephen Lai

#2 of 14 in Santa Margherita di Pula
Colonna Pevero Hotel
Colonna Pevero Hotel
#5 of 21 in Porto Cervo

Been to Colonna Resort? Share your experiences!