“Lovely stay”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Three night stay in comfortable spacious room with its own balcony overlooking a hillside with the sea in the distance.
Host Marino most welcoming and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble.
Great breakfast on the terrace and lovely evening meals.
Highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank Geoff and Glend... J
marinocassio, Proprietario at La Locanda della Castellana, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you very much for your lovely words and, of course, for your recommendation.

Marino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Pesaro, Italy
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We stayed for two nights in May and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Marino is so friendly and helpful. The whole stay felt vey relaxed. We had one of the large two room suites on the top floor with a large terrace and lovely views. The rooms are not 'grand' but they are very comfortable and clean. The highlight of the hotel is the food. Marino and his family love to cook and it really shows. We were there out of season so there were only a few guests. each morning he asked what type of thing we would like for dinner; fish, meat or vegetables. And then each evening he served up a delicous four couse meal for 20 euros. It was so nice not to have to look through a menu but just to have the lovely food brought to your table. The breakfasts were excellent too, with lovely fresh orange juice! Marino was a wonderful host. On one of the evenings he effortlessly spoke to us in english, the german guests in german and a french guest in french! We would certainly like to go back to stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rake11
marinocassio, Owner at La Locanda della Castellana, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you very much for your lovely words and, of course, I hope to see you - and even to cook for you - soon!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Our visit to the Gargano started with a warm welcome from Marino and only got better. We arrived hungry but it was also during siesta so none of the cafes in town were open. Marino very kindly prepared us a delicious lunch before we set out walking to explore the area.

This small hotel is situated on the hillside and offers amazing views of the sea and surrounding hillsides. Our room on the top floor was gorgeous, impeccably clean and had a large balcony with a stunning view. The exercise room is outfitted with great equipment and has a view of the pool and sea. It was too cool to enjoy the pool in mid April but I'm sure it would be a welcome treat in the hotter weather.

We know good food when we find it and we happily had dinner at the hotel for the 3 nights that we stayed. Marino makes every effort to use local and in-season ingredients, so everything is fresh and delicious. Breakfast was tasty and plentiful - the best we had during our 3 weeks traveling in Southern Italy. You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor have the best views but I think all rooms have a good view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank McRemko
Thank you for your lovely review and, above all, thanks for appreciating our kitchen and our attention towards our guests.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2014

We made a last minute decision to stop here on our trip around the Gargano Peninsula. And we did not regret our decision. The hotel is outside town with a great view over the hills down to the sea. The welcoming atmosphere can be felt everywhere, from the comfort of the room, the cozy chairs on the downstairs patio and around the pool. The dining room is bright and airy, and when warm enough the outside eating area is lovely. Meals, both supper and breakfast , were outstanding. We only wished we could stay longer to explore the nearby national park. This is a different Italy and a welcome change.

Room Tip: Try to get room with a balcony...definitely worth it.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jennifer m
When I read reviews like this one, I can only be proud of my work. Thanks for appreciating our structure and our atmosphere.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Nice location on a hillside just outside Peschici, with a beautiful terrace and pool. Our suite (no. 3) comprised two rooms, plus a small modern bathroom and a large north-facing balcony. Martino speaks excellent English. He was an excellent host and enthusiastically helped us enjoy all the delights of the Gargano peninsular. Dinner is based on local produce and recipes, excellently cooked, although maybe not all to everyone's taste. Breakfast was excellent.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

thak you for your lovely review. Our intent is to introduce out traditions, our local products and flavors and I hope you enjoyed them.

Green Brook, New Jersey
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We showed up without reservations ( long story....) when ringing the bell, the owner answered
and informed us the hotel was closed and would open the next day. When I bleated out our
disappointment, he sighed and said, OK, I will open the gate. He had one room that was cleaned
and ready. He is the sweetest and most hospitable man we ever met! After settling in and getting acquainted with his dog, he invited us to join him and his friend for dinner at a local restaurant where we were treated to the most delicious very fresh fish and some incredible - and I mean incredible - olive oil that was made by the restaurant. Breakfast was wonderful with home made jam. Had we visited more in season ( this was early April 14) I'm sure a very nice experience would have been better yet - but as it was we have the most fond memories of our one night stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Ankie,

Thank you for your great review and, obviously, I'm glad you enjoyed the company of my friends. I hope to see you again in summer!

fort lauderdale
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I must admit when I first saw the hotel after a long drive from Rome I was sure it would not be up to my standards. Oh how I was mistaken! I admit it is not, at first glance, a place one expects a resort atmosphere... but once you allow Marino, the owner, to indulge you in the atmosphere of his very well managed hotel's offerings, you will want to keep coming back. Yes, I had to walk up two stairs to get to my room, and yes it was a nice stairway up from the parking area to get to the room... but I considered it a good exercise for all the out of the ordinary food consumption that one gets to do while in Italy! The hotel must have been built in the 60s and it looks it. The rooms have Formica furniture and the common areas are not updated. However, everything is pristine, clean and comfortable. My room (actually a bedroom with a hug balcony and a living room with a desk, a sleep sofa and a second armoire were all very very comfortable with nice sheets/pillows and towels. The shower was nice and big, not one of those tiny showers where you only have a shower head up in the ceiling that you cannot control, but with great water pressure, and a hand shower...then Marino asked me if I wanted to have dinner there that night. It was already 8.00 pm and I didn't have the energy to get back in the car and drive to Peschici and look for a restaurant. So I said yes. When the weather is nice they set the tables outside on a vast balcony, under umbrellas and play the most beautiful music! Once I got back downstairs and started getting into the music and had my first glass of wine I think I was hooked. And after 6 nights there I know I want to go back. It is a most relaxing magical atmosphere... everyone who works there tries to make your stay a happy one. Marino's mother makes the homemade pasta in the mornings right before everyone's eyes. They have a big pool, a hot-tub and an outdoor gym you can work out overlooking the hill behind Peschici... the breakfasts and dinners are great. They serve homemade dishes (I am still pining after that fried bread with cheese and rosemary that was cooked like a frittata as a breakfast dish) and the branzino with rosemary that Marino cooked one night, not to mention the orechiette with the amare herbe (I don't remember what it was but it was outstanding)... I liked the whole atmosphere so much so that I am considering organizing a reunion for all my high school friends there. I know it would be beautiful... when you are there definitely take a boat tour on the Vittorio (A big boat that goes into all the little grotte along the coast. Peschici is a great little town, and people are extremely welcoming and hospitable... thank you Mario for making every effort to make my time there so magical...

Room Tip: Ask for one of the bigger rooms if you like comfort. Marino is starting to update the hotel so go b...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends