“St. Peter came to the rescue”

La Locanda della Castellana
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Peschici
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Green Brook, New Jersey
“St. Peter came to the rescue”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We showed up without reservations ( long story....) when ringing the bell, the owner answered
and informed us the hotel was closed and would open the next day. When I bleated out our
disappointment, he sighed and said, OK, I will open the gate. He had one room that was cleaned
and ready. He is the sweetest and most hospitable man we ever met! After settling in and getting acquainted with his dog, he invited us to join him and his friend for dinner at a local restaurant where we were treated to the most delicious very fresh fish and some incredible - and I mean incredible - olive oil that was made by the restaurant. Breakfast was wonderful with home made jam. Had we visited more in season ( this was early April 14) I'm sure a very nice experience would have been better yet - but as it was we have the most fond memories of our one night stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
marinocassio, Owner at La Locanda della Castellana, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Ankie,

Thank you for your great review and, obviously, I'm glad you enjoyed the company of my friends. I hope to see you again in summer!

Best regards,

Marino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
fort lauderdale
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I must admit when I first saw the hotel after a long drive from Rome I was sure it would not be up to my standards. Oh how I was mistaken! I admit it is not, at first glance, a place one expects a resort atmosphere... but once you allow Marino, the owner, to indulge you in the atmosphere of his very well managed hotel's offerings, you will want to keep coming back. Yes, I had to walk up two stairs to get to my room, and yes it was a nice stairway up from the parking area to get to the room... but I considered it a good exercise for all the out of the ordinary food consumption that one gets to do while in Italy! The hotel must have been built in the 60s and it looks it. The rooms have Formica furniture and the common areas are not updated. However, everything is pristine, clean and comfortable. My room (actually a bedroom with a hug balcony and a living room with a desk, a sleep sofa and a second armoire were all very very comfortable with nice sheets/pillows and towels. The shower was nice and big, not one of those tiny showers where you only have a shower head up in the ceiling that you cannot control, but with great water pressure, and a hand shower...then Marino asked me if I wanted to have dinner there that night. It was already 8.00 pm and I didn't have the energy to get back in the car and drive to Peschici and look for a restaurant. So I said yes. When the weather is nice they set the tables outside on a vast balcony, under umbrellas and play the most beautiful music! Once I got back downstairs and started getting into the music and had my first glass of wine I think I was hooked. And after 6 nights there I know I want to go back. It is a most relaxing magical atmosphere... everyone who works there tries to make your stay a happy one. Marino's mother makes the homemade pasta in the mornings right before everyone's eyes. They have a big pool, a hot-tub and an outdoor gym you can work out overlooking the hill behind Peschici... the breakfasts and dinners are great. They serve homemade dishes (I am still pining after that fried bread with cheese and rosemary that was cooked like a frittata as a breakfast dish) and the branzino with rosemary that Marino cooked one night, not to mention the orechiette with the amare herbe (I don't remember what it was but it was outstanding)... I liked the whole atmosphere so much so that I am considering organizing a reunion for all my high school friends there. I know it would be beautiful... when you are there definitely take a boat tour on the Vittorio (A big boat that goes into all the little grotte along the coast. Peschici is a great little town, and people are extremely welcoming and hospitable... thank you Mario for making every effort to make my time there so magical...

Room Tip: Ask for one of the bigger rooms if you like comfort. Marino is starting to update the hotel so go b...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ligia J
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We were there at the very end of the season, and were given a suite for the price of a single room. The hospitality of Martino was superb, the setting beautiful, and the suite very comfortable, with wifi in the room (which was not the case for most of the places we stayed in Italy). It is far enough out of town to feel like country, but close enough that you can drive in easily, and parking is not a problem.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better view but there is no elevator so you have to carry your bags upstairs. We d...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rogersville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We spent several nights at this lovely hotel/B&B. For us, it was the best of both worlds ... a mini apartment, beautiful view, wonderful breakfast (included eggs several days) that would satisfy many expectations from different nationalities. We ate dinner in the restaurant the evening we arrived. Very good food. There is a menu posted each morning and guests sign up if they wish to eat that evening. It was 20E each at the time we were there. We probably would have eaten there more if we'd stayed longer. Marino is charming and helpful. We felt it was a smooth-running and efficient hotel/B&B. Peschici is a "destination" location as it is not easy to get to -- windy roads through several towns and steep "hills" -- however, it is a wonderful place to visit if you are going for several days or more. We had a very nice time and our stay at la Locanda was great!

Room Tip: They have several options from a regular room to kitchenettes and suites. The room we were in had a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights at La Locanda in September. Marino and his family really look after all of their guests. The hotel is set up on a hill with a fantastic view. The food is always very fresh and Marino is into very healthy choices for his guests. There is a huge selection of foods for breakfast, all types of fresh fruit, eggs, cheese,cold cuts of meat, yogurt pastries etc etc. You can also dine there for dinner in the evening. You have to sign up in the morning before heading out for the day. We had dinner twice during our stay, we were very impressed with it. We were also very happy with our accommodation very clean and spacious. Peschici is a beautiful area, lovely scenery and fantastic white sandy beaches. We visited the Amalfi coast last year. My husband and I both feel that this area offers much the same type of scenery but not the extremely busy roads .We do not hesitate to recommend this hotel and this area . The Gargano region is amazing.

Room Tip: room # 7 is an apartment and is much bigger with a full kitchen
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

As soon as we arrived we were thoroughly welcomed to this family run hotel. The service was perfect and so was the atmosphere! It was relaxed yet we did not want for anything. The pool was lovely with a outdoor gym above it - brilliant for early morning work out!

The food and resturant was great! You sign up for what food you want in the morning and so the food is completely fresh and homemade in the evening. The location is absolutely beautiful .

Both rooms had stunning views of the sea and the local area. The rooms were comfy and spacious with air conditioning and an ample bathroom. Perfect to return to for a quick shower after the beach before hitting the pool.

Cannot wait to return to this friendly hotel which was the perfect balance of family and romance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This family-run inn is the perfect balance of romantic/family-friendly and vintage/contemporary. Marino is such a hospitable host, helping with directions, dinner reservations, beach suggestions, and interesting itineraries. The pool is refreshing after a day at the beach or sight seeing, with plenty of comfortable lounge chairs. The upstairs rooms, that are actually two rooms with two bathrooms, are very comfortable for a family or a couple that likes extra space. The balcony overlooks the mountainside and the sea. The breakfast buffet is fabulous, with many options supplied by local purveyors. There is a four-course dinner option that is very reasonably priced, with homemade, seasonal and regional offerings -- everything was so delicious! Marino's mother makes fresh pasta every morning on the patio and his sister helps with the cooking and serving. The grounds are beautifully landscaped with flowers, flowering trees, and palm trees. Have Marino give you directions to the beach club, that is the last one on the sea in town. My only negative comment is that for a place that is so assertively green-conscious, smoking should not be allowed!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple