“Fantastic hotel”

Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Paestum
Lac-Brome, Canada
“Fantastic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Esplanade 2 nights in October 2012. The room was great, large with a nice balcony overlooking the pool. There is access to a private beach, but at that time of the year, it was very quiet, still we were able to get chairs and umbrella. The ruins at Paestum are close to visit by car.
The hotel is wedding oriented, so all the public areas are very nicely designed and very well kept.
Is was quiet when we stayed, even if there was an afternoon wedding.
The restaurant serves very good food at a very good price. The breakfast was also very good (Mozzarella di Buffala!), the personnel helpful and always smiling.
We would go back anytime!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dominique L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Located in beautiful Paestum this hotel was better than expected when booked. The room was spatious and the interior modern. Lot's of common areas to move around, and the bar is well worth a visit. I never tried the restaurant other than breakfast, since eating out in Paestum is mandatory, especially since there are retaurants on the beach.

• Stayed July 2012
Fort Lee, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

I have lived in europe for 7 years and 4 years ago found this gem of a hotel. I come back every year...and the same people work at the hotel ( a plus! They remember me) and often, I see the same guests return each year! Why? It is a small hotel, perfectly decorated, very comfortable, very clean and very beautiful. This year I had the mountain view ...it is so quiet at this hotel, and I feel at home. The public spaces are beautiful, the staff extremely kind and helpful, the maids greet you every day, the food is excellent! Imagine, buffalo mozzarella for breakfast! They have a torte at breakfast, with a filling of rice and grana....and OH!!! It is like eating perfume! SO fantastic! The pool is gorgeous, the grounds well cared for....I miss this hotel and every year when I want to be on a beach, this is the hotel I go to. The beach is long, soft sands, rolling waves, crystal clear water....I run in the morning and relax during the day. The restaurant Tre Olivi is in their sister hotel the Savoy next door. FABULOUS! I wanted to eat there once again and it is always top notch...the service, the cuisine, the great wine list...and the wait staff is so helpful in choosing foods and wine! They have a buffalo milk gelato that is heaven! GO! Enjoy yourself!

Room Tip: I prefer rooms facing the mountain. THe other side of the hotel faces the street and it can get nois...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank cathysterling
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

We spent one day in Paestum to visit the Greek temples and we did not have any reservations.

We called the Esplanade and luckily they had a room available. Everything was great – the room was clean with a nice bathroom. The location is not bad, very close to the beach (unfortunately we did not have time to enjoy) and just a couple of kilometers from the temple site. A car would be recommended – parking at the hotel is free.

We had dinner at the hotel – fixed menu at 20 Euros/person. Food was good and service very friendly. Good wine list - several decent priced red wines available. One of the waiters was from Napoli and we got a lot of good tips for our upcoming visit. The breakfast next day was very good with a fairly good selection of fruits and pastry.

This was one of the most enjoyable stays during our trip in Italy!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank icc077
NE Washington state
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2009

Note: I believe this is in the Salerno region, not Campania...

We just "happened" upon this hotel in Paestum, a location we had never heard of, on our way to Sicily from Rome. We were having trouble finding reasonably priced hotels in Italy, it was getting late due to misleading GPS directions, and we were exhausted. Checked out the Best Western web site (thank you, BW!) and found this absolute jewel.

Domenico, Aldo, and Daniele went far and above the call to take care of our needs, the prices were extremely reasonble, the rooms were impeccable (i.e., everything worked, including well-attached toilet seats and plenty of hot water - an apparent rarity in Italy!), and the service was impeccable.

A bonus was meeting the original owner of the hotel and his wife (hi, Barbara!), their precious daughter Chiara (bless you for all your help!) and another group from New York that were all absolutely helpful, kind, generous, and friendly (hi all, glad your Yankees won!).

The setting is impeccable. The weather was not overly conducive to being outdoors, but the grounds are beautiful, well-maintained, and peaceful. I imagine it's a "hopping" place in the summertime; it was PERFECT for what we wanted: peace and tranquility in a nice setting to relax.

The first night we stayed, there was a wedding in the back area, which added an aura of fun, beauty, and excitement. The archaeological ruins in Paestum are fabulous, visiting the bufala mozzarella factory was wonderful, and we had such a lovely time the first night that we made a point of stopping on our return trip north for two nights and were welcomed with open arms, friendliness, and the most gracious of hosts.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. They are the epitome of hospitality and others would do well to follow their lead.

The only recommendation I would make is to have the Wifi access be unlimited and uninterrupted (had to reconnect with monster passwords, numerous times) but at least they HAD Wifi, unlike most other places we stayed.

Also, the GPS took us around in circles to get there; glad we actually eventually found it!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JnJG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2009

super clean marble lobby , a few feet from beach and very near greek ruins!, beautiful peaceful pool! great food !

Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HalM4
Belgrade, Serbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2009

I was happy to book this hotel after reading all the good reviews on this site, However, for me it turned out to be one of the worst hotel experience. First, the good points. Hotel is really beautiful, you can hardly find any faults to its looks. Beautiful garden, pool, free parking lot, nice rooms, large bathroom with modern facilities... Hotel is close to the beach and use of beach facilities is included in the room rate.
Now, the bad points. Hotel is in the middle of nowhere, nothing in radius of 3 km, no shops, no bars, no restaurants. If you do not have a car, you are lost. Hotel staff is completely helpless and uninterested. Only a couple of them speaks English, difficult to communicate with them. The worst of all is bar/restaurant staff. They completely ignore you! One night I sat for 30 minutes at the bar terrace, waiting to be served and I was not. I complained to the receptionist and received "I am sorry". The other night I was persistant to see when they will pay attention to guests and I was served after 53 minutes. You should have in mind that this is a small hotel and there were not more than 20 guests at total, so there is no big crowd to be served.
The breakfast is a complete disaster. I travelled extensively through Italy this summer and this was absolutely the worst breakfast I had. I cannot comment on food for dinner since I did not have it - too expensive, I believe. They offer a menu for 40 EUR per person, so dinner for two plus drinks is 100+ EUR.
I booked a tour through the hotel. I specifficaly asked if there was an English speaking tour and they confirmed. I ended up with a group of Italians, who had extensive explanation from a tour guide, while I received a few words in bad English - this is a cathedral, you can go up the street, be here in 90 minutes. And I paid the same price as Italians. The tour started at 6.20 AM so I asked for an early breakfast from the reception and they said there were no problems just to tell them in the morning what I wanted. And in the morning there were no one in the hotel, only one Italian guy (safe-keeper, I guess), who knew not a single word of English, so I had to say goodbuy to my early breakfast.
The hotel offers a free cable internet in the rooms (no wi-fi), but this is rather inconvenient. You need a code to access the internet, each code last for one hour, the connection automatically stops after each 25 minutes so you have to reconnect. Each time you spend one hour of internet, you must go the reception and ask for a new code. The connection is rather slow and sometimes completely useless.
The worst thing of all is that the hotel is not a real hotel, but more of a restaurant for wedding parties. Almost every night they host a wedding party, with crappy Italian singers whining till 1 AM. And that is there primary business. Consequently, you are a secondary item for them and they treat you with complete negligence. I complained one night about the music and the answer I got was: I cannot do anything, we have a wedding party. Hello, you have hotel guests as well, but you don't give a damn about them! You could hardly get any sleep, because the music lasts till 1 AM and at 7 AM the maids start vacuum cleaning the hallways!
Also, be carefull when you receive the bill at the end of your stay. They tried to charge me for some mini-bar items I did not have. The point is that they remove a couple of items from mini-bar before you enter the room (as if you know how many bottles you should have in), then they "refill" it tomorrow and charge you in the end. Obviously, they do this regularly since when I complained about these charges, they simply deleted them.
I completely disappointed with this hotel. I did not imagine my holiday to end up like this and the hotel is definitely not worth the money you pay for it. There are many hotels in the area and make sure you book a better one.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo