“Camera Etrusca Photographic workshop around Umbria, Tuscany and Lake Bolsena”
Review of Orvieto

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Bermuda
2 helpful votes
“Camera Etrusca Photographic workshop around Umbria, Tuscany and Lake Bolsena”
Reviewed October 29, 2010

October 8 – 14, 2010

The sound bite:

Great fun, enjoyable cast of characters, outstanding locations, and excellent photographic learning taylored to the individual’s needs. This workshop exceeded my expectations by providing a full experience including exploration of the beautiful countryside and exposure (pardon the pun) to the fascinating Etruscan culture as well as excellent photography learning.

For those who like to read more prose:

The Camera Etrusca photographic workshop experience, run by professional photographer Patrick Nicholas, is a top notch learning customized to your needs and skill level, taking place in the most unusual settings, all the while gaining an understanding of the fascinating Etruscan history.

The photographic learning is without a doubt excellent. As a professional, Patrick knows his trade. More importantly, he is a superb teacher, adapting methods to your ability. The groups are small therefore the learning is taylored to your needs. I was thrilled with the techniques and skills that I learned that vastly improved my proficiency.

In terms of the locations – While you expect fascinating vistas when you travel anywhere in Italy, the delightful surprise about your Camera Etrusca experience is that you will see magical places that are not on any tour map or guided tour of the area.
The locations that you will shoot are the result of years of exploration by Patrick for his creative work. You will take in beautiful glades in Dantesque forests, moss covered grottos on the sides of cliffs, honey-combed Etruscan burial caves, and of course the sweeping vistas of hilltop towns, fishing villages at dusk, ocean waves at sunset and so much more. All extremely picturesque!

The day starts at 9 am in a café on the square and ends back at the square at 7 pm – a full day of hiking, walking, exploring, and photographing the beautiful countryside of Umbria, Tuscany and Lake Balsena and the many historic towns. A full day, but by no means exhausting as the pace is set to your needs and interests entirely.

Patrick is also very well versed in the Etruscan history of the area, and regales you with fascinating commentary on the topic, providng an appreciation of the amazing archaelogical sites that you see.

All in all, I found that my experience with Camera Etrusca surpassed expectations of improving my photography skills. It was a well-rounded experience that also allowed me to see magical places as well as to learn something about Etruscan history.

I will add - The fact that Patrick lives and works in the area, his gallery and home being in the lovely Orvieto, made for a very relaxed, homey feeling as locals, colleagues, and friends provided this Camera Etrusca student with a very warm Italian welcome.

And one more thing – it was just plain fun, all day long!

2 Thank FayBermuda
47 helpful votes
“A must see”
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Orieto is one of those places that you must see with your own eyes to believe!!! It is this city somehow built on the top of this cliff/mountain. The view arriving and departing is spectacular!
I drove to town and parked at the top of the "gondola" station. You can park below and ride up if you want.
The cathedral is the biggest attraction as it is huge!!! The story behind the history of the cathedral is very interesting and moving.
I personally enjoyed the walk around the wall. The view from below is mind boogling.
How the heck did they build this town!!!!???
While the walk might not be for everyone it was perfect for me. I was the only one except a couple of locals out for a stroll or run. Peaceful and beautiful.
After visiting the town I went to the most amazing place I have ever seen in all my travels. It is a small, teeny, tiny hill town that I would have never found if it wasn't for my guide book. If you write me, I will share the author!!
civita de Bagnoregio is truely amazing. The view of the town is what it is all about. Bagnoregio is the "new" town but civita is what you go to see. I choose to walk to the town but I am sure lots of people just see it from the viewing platform.
The town itself is very small with spectacular views of the cliffs around it. The town just sort of "drops off" into nothing!!!! I will never forget the feeling of flying and amazement of this town.
ENJOY!!

California
1 helpful vote
“Orvieto, Italy and the Bed and Breakfast, Casa Selita”
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Orvieto has to be my favorite place in Italy. There are so many close seconds, but Orvieto's beauty and history make it number one. So much to see and a good location to make side trips to the other hilltop towns. We did have a car, but the bus stops at the bottom of this B&B's driveway. I would like to recommend the 300 hundred year old Bed and Breakfast, Casa Selita. It was perfect. It has everything that is stated on its web-page. Our room offered an amazing view, good size, its own bathroom, AND was walking distance to Orvieto while still being out in the country. We could sit out under the trees on a lounge and enjoy the view and garden. All of the recommendations of sights to see, restaurants, stores, and directions could not have been better. The breakfast was delightful... my husband is a big breakfast kind of guy...eggs and bacon all the way...we didn't find it in Italy! The continental breakfast was delicious, plentiful, and made my husband happy. Need I say more! Thank you Selita, Lena, and Alisandra for making our first stop on our Italy dream vacation so wonderful.

Just a little side note....as is often the case in trying to find places in Italy...this B & B is a bit difficult to find too. There are small directional signs along the road, but there are a number of signs together and we found that we'd passed the turn before we realized Casa Selita was on one of the signs.Drive slowly and don't worry about the Italian driver riding your rear bumper. Just don't drive up into the old town. Casa Selita is just below the lower big parking lot.

1 Thank offtoseeit
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 helpful votes
“Lovely little town Great Food!”
Reviewed June 30, 2010

This was a lovely little town in Italy. We found that getting lost in the small romantic streets of Orvieto led us to hidden gems that only Europe can offer.

The church Duomo di Orvieto was astounding with some of the most impressive reliefs covering the facade. We tried to find a good book on the church, but the options were limited and we left with just the knowledge we entered with, but far more impressed than we thought possible.

We had an amazing lunch at San Giovenale, we just got lost on the streets and happened to pass by.

Don't forget to pick up aa bottle of local olive oil, as this is one of the finest I have tasted and wish I had gotten a second bottle.

Texas-USA
15 helpful votes
“A Hidden Medieval Gem, very relaxed city and warm friendly people”
Reviewed May 19, 2010

I stayed in this town on November 2009 for a few weeks for a professional training (HPRT/GMH). The city is beatiful, very medieval. Early in the evening, the town comes to the street to walk, gathered, talk and eat. People are very warm and friendly. The nightlife with the locals is very charming and the Trattorias are filled with people. The service was great in every place I ate at night. Visiting this town and staying overnight is a wonderful experience as the pace of life slows down and is very relaxing.

The cultural heritage sites were great: The Duomo (Cathedral) and Frangelico's fresco's chapel were beautiful. You should visit the Duomo Museum, behind the church were the original art pieces and architectural pieces are kept for preservation. The cathedral has many things that are replicas, except the chapel were Frangelico's frescos are. That is a must see when you go to Orvieto. Things to do if you like art, history and architecture: The Duomo, The Museum of the Duomo, The Etruscan Necropolis (outside the walls of the city), the underground Orvieto tour, the Etruscan Museum. The Trattorias and the cafe's are wonderful.
Make sure that you do not ask for a pasta on a cafe during the day, when you see that they do not have pasta as they may sell you a TV dinner pasta. Ask in the cafe for what you obviously see that they sell and cook. Their were some great Enotecas and places were you can drink local wine. If you go during the month of November and Winter ask for plates with Tartuffo (truffles) and plates with Wild board (they are a local delight). Some local stores and some old chapels sell antiques. If you are interested in ceramics, it is good place to buy Ceramics from Umbria which they are famous for.
This is a town that you walk to see everything. Make sure you visit the plazas that are beside the walls of the city as the view is fantastic. Some local churches have some hidden historical treasures, like the miracle of the bleeding eucharist (don't remember the specific church though). We were lucky that it was the anniversary of the Duomo church, so we saw the choir of the University of Rome singing inside the Duomo and you could witnessed the purpose of Gothic and Romanic Architecture when it comes to sound and acustics. It was beautiful. Transported back in time. The shopping in the city is significantly cheaper than in Rome and Florence.

If you go with little time, I suggest that you take Bus B to Piazza de la Republica and walk towards the Piazza del Duomo (both piazzas have bus stops and you get to see many things and the spirit of the city by walking those 2 streeets (Via del Corso Cavour and Via del Duomo). Of course you need to take the Funiculare first before you take the bus. The city also has some farm markets on Saturdays, which sell nice local cheese, spices, etc at an excellent price.

We stayed at the Monasterio San Lodovico which is run by nuns and has curfiew, which is something that takes time to adjust. The nuns were very helpful. The monastery is very simplistic for obvious reasons, the rooms with paintings and the history of their congregation was very interesting. Know that the nuns (a few) still live there and they expect courtesy (at times monastic courtesy), silence at night and not drinking. Nevertheless, I went to study so for that it was a great location. Their service was good and the breakfast was filing (italian breakfast).

This city is a Medieval Gem, which I recommend to anyone who wants to have a personal experience with italian traditions and medieval history.

Been to Orvieto? Share your experiences!