“Structure and Beauty”

Book In Advance
More Info
$47.42*
and up
Orvieto's Underground Tour with Wine Tasting...
Ranked #4 of 73 things to do in Orvieto
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Orvieta's magnificent Duomo (cathedral) is considered one of the must-see churches in Italy for its stunning gold-and-mosaic Gothic façade and magnificent frescoes by Luca Signorelli, which had a great influence on Michelangelo's work in the Sistine Chapel.
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This is well worth a stop in Orvieto, a beautiful church with alternating layers of white and dark grey stones. A remarkable accomplishment, and a beautiful structure particularly from the inside.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,778)
All reviews
in 92 reviews
"beauty"
in 72 reviews

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We would really advise having a guide to tell you about the frescoes and paintings in the cathedral. The artwork is beautiful but it will add to your appreciation if you understand the background of these paintings.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Unfortunately our timing was off and we had but a few minutes to explore the magnificent treasures of the Duomo. Our Orvietian host gave us an in depth background of a number of the numerous frescos that adorn its many altars. He related that the competition among the famous artists who painted there (including Michaelangelo) was fierce. Orvieto and the Duomo is on our list of return visits.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

There are jillions of churches to visit in Italy and all of Europe, but this one seemed really special. I am conscious of making sure I don't get "churched out" when sightseeing, and I'm really glad I went in the duomo. I had my iPad with me, so was able to read about what I was looking at from my guidebooks. Some churches are overwhelming, some seem to just repeat the one before, but this one is really unique. The side chapels are nothing short of extraordinary.
Do not miss this!

See more reviews
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is one of the two main attractions of Orvieto for us. It is an amazing old church with a real history. Most people don't know that the feast of Corpus Christi originated from around here. We had seen the side chapel with the end of times murals on several travel shows and made a point of seeing them. Just to the outside of the chapel are some pay "phones" that tell you all about what you are seeing and for an euro it was so worth it. They're not very noticeable, you have to look for them. I was glad to have a guidebook that explained the Duomo and how it was built to visually seem longer and bigger than it really is. The other side chapel is very peaceful and beautiful. Most people are more focused on the outside of the Duomo, but the inside has a lot to see, too. And the outside is spectacular, expecially when the sun hits the face of it and it just shines like gold. We loved the tiny mosaic designs all over the twisty columns and the large mosaic pictures at the top. The carvings up the front of the Duomo tell the story of the Bible, and we made sure to locate the panel where God does surgery on Adam's side to get a rib for Eve. An older Italian man who seemed like a professor very animatedly talked to us about the art which was a fun experience even though I didn't understand Italian. For beauty of a natural kind, don't miss the spectacular views of the valley from the city ramparts at the other end of the town. It is truly amazing! For us, it was equally as much of an Italian experience as the Duomo and old town were.