“Thanks Charlie”

Charlie
Ranked #24 of 169 Restaurants in Orvieto
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Alexandria, Virginia
“Thanks Charlie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

Charlie's was on our list to try while in Orvieto and we are glad that it was. The pizza was outstanding. They have a lot of options on the menu. There were 5 of us and we each ordered something different. Everyone was really happy with what we got. Definitely seek out Charlie's while in Orvieto.

Visited May 2014

Portland, OR
“Wonderful Pizza and salad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

We had 2 Pizzas and fresh crispy salad. The pizzas had fresh ingredients and thin crust. Great service and reasonably priced.

• Visited April 2014
Warsaw, Poland
“Closed...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

My family and I were attracted by the reviews and we went a long way off our route to eat there, but the place is closed... It did not looked that it's temporarily closed, looks like permanent close for a renovation or something. We were truly disappointed by this.

Visited April 2014
chicago
“Wonderful Surprise in Orvieto”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

I did a ton of research on where to eat in each of the towns that we would be visiting in Italy. Charlie never popped up on my radar, and if it had I probably would have brushed it off because who eats at a place named Charlie while visiting Italy? BUT the owners at the agriturismo that we stayed at recommended this place to us. I'm SO glad they did!

I ordered a glass of local red wine and my husband a local light beer (not on draft, in a bottle). The wine was good, though not memorable I guess since I can't remember what kind it was. Really this place is where you should try local beer. The first beer that my husband ordered was so light and crisp. It was so good. Later on in the meal, we both order the birra rossa that was on draft (red or amber beer). I wasn't sure if I'd like this because it was heavier than the first, but this was my favorite. It was smooth, crisp, and not super hoppy (I don't like really hoppy). I definitely recommend trying out the local beer while you're here especially because you're probably drinking wine everywhere else!

We ordered a salad just because we had been craving some veggies during our trip. The salad was delicious and fresh and I'm sure we looked ravenous eating it. We ordered 2 pizzas not realizing how large they'd be. The Tartafuno (spelling may be off, but it was the truffle pizza) was AMAZING! Seriously, one of the best pizzas I've had in my life. Also, the dough used to make this pizza is so tasty. My husband ordered the Capricciosa (again, spelling may be off). This one was really good too, but just couldn't compare to the truffle one I had. He loved it though.

I don't really get the reviews I read both here and elsewhere about the service in Italy. Yes, it's different than what I'm used to in the States, but guess what? I'm not in the States. Keeping that in mind will make your experience while traveling abroad much more enjoyable. With that said, the staff here was so friendly. They catered to our needs, but also let us just enjoy the drinks and food. We never felt rushed to eat and leave, which is one thing I loved about Italy. We met Charlie, the owner, and his wife, Naomi who you could tell just wanted to make our meal enjoyable. I can tell they take pride in their pizza, drinks, and service.

If you're tired of eating "traditional" Italian food on your trip and want to switch things up for a meal, this is the place to go! Being from Chicago which has tons of pizza and craft beer, this place surprised us and is a place I'd go to on a regular basis if I lived in Orvieto. Oh, and it looks like they have a pretty cool beer garden in the summer months!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank amasteph
Jerusalem Israel
“Nothing to tell your friends about”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

The pizza pastry not was not crispy enough. Slow service. Very bad acustics. Prices are ok. The local beer was good.