“Only a few steps from the Duomo, and beautiful.”
Review of Hotel Duomo

Hotel Duomo
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Orvieto
Madera, California
“Only a few steps from the Duomo, and beautiful.”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

This is a very nice and delightful hotel and reasonably priced. Our room was beautiful, a very ample size, and very clean. The staff is friendly and very helpful. They will park your car if you drive in. The breakfast, which is included, consists of hot coffee, juice, eggs, toast, cereal, milk, fruit, and much more. This hotel is conveniently located close to shopping, restaurants, and sight seeing (all within walking distance). I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms in this hotel. The views are exactly what you think an Italian hilltop commu...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

Reading other reviews, it seems that this hotel must have different staff on at times. Lots of reviews speak of friendly service but we found that the staff were brusque to the point of rudeness for our one night stay. We had a family room which was spotlessly clean and indeed the whole hotel was beautifully maintained. The location of the hotel couldn't be better. It could be amazing, but it matters how you are treated and it makes your stay so much nicer. We wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed July 2014
16555, Proprietario at Hotel Duomo, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Gentlman,
thank you very much for your review.
The staff of the hotel it's a family,so we are a family and we are the same people, we don't change a faces!!!
Just dipend,I think,what the people expect because every day we have a smile and try to be nice with all our guest (this is our work) . My personal opinion is, to find a clean hotel with nice rooms and service that work.
However thank you again for your stay and I tell you,we are happy for our job but of course we want to do every day better.
I hope to see you again next time,
London
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Beautifully situated very close to the wonderful Cathedral in Orvieto, the hotel is an ideal centre for touring southern Umbria. The rooms are practical and clean; the staff helpful and friendly. Highly recommended.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Glen Rock, New Jersey
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Stayed here on our last night in Italy on our way back from Le Marche to Fiumichino. With its proximity to the A1, Orvieto is a great place to stay if you are leaving from Fiumichino early in the morning but don't want to stay at a characterless airport hotel. The Hotel is smack in the middle of the Piazza Duomo. There is parking (pay) very nearby and after about 8:00 at night - provided you can find a spot - you can park in front of the hotel. For us this was a huge plus b/c we needed to be out of the hotel by 5:30 a.m.
The mgmt is friendly enough. The Hotel is spanking clean. We had reserved two rooms: a triple on the ground floor, which turned out to be extremely tiny even by Italian standards. It was quite difficult to move around in the room especially with luggage for three people.
The single - on the first floor - was also tiny but not at all uncomfortable and, again, extremely clean. The view from this room onto the piazza and the duomo is just gorgeous. The bathrooms were tight but not unusually so for Italy however, the shower was so small that it would be hard to imagine a larger man being able to even fit inside with the shower door closed.
One thing that rankled: The hotel has wireless internet but only offers it free to one device per room. Additional internet access is 5e per device. Really? Other hotels of the same caliber in Italy offer internet free with your reservation. This kind of nickel and diming turned us off.

Room Tip: First floor single has fantastic view onto the piazza and the duomo. Will NOT appeal to people looki...
16555, Proprietario at Hotel Duomo, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Gentlman,
reading this review I realized that you made a mistake with another hotel. Everything you wrote is not about our Hotel Duomo,but regarding another hotel that is located in Piazza Duomo.
In fact ,none of your description coincides with our services. The parking for example we have our private parking with an extra cost, the wifi is free for everybody in the rooms and in the lobby,our bathrooms are big with big showers.
Our hotel is located beside the Cathedral,you can check all this information on the our website.
I would like , therefore,that this review was cancelled,thank you.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Very nice, clean hotel. Limited wifi for us, but our daughters room had great wifi. I now know to ask before reserving. The location was perfect-just steps from the Duomo. This is a fantastic town and I highly recommend you visit it and stay here!

Room Tip: Ask about the wifi-we had a corner room that only had wifi if you sat by the door!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 19, 2014

This hotel was awful and overpriced. We arrived on a very hot day where the bus wasn't running so had to walk -- NOT the hotel's fault at all, but after we made it up the 1000 meter walk on uneven cobblestones with luggage on a day that felt like it was 120 degrees, we arrived to a very unwelcoming hostess at the front desk. We wondered what the heck did we do? They put my friend and I in separate buildings (mind you they say it is just down the street, but actually about three streets down) - where her room felt like a dungeon and could not keep one light on without keeping all lights on or off, and smelled of mildew, and had weird paintings of scary clowns all over the walls. My friend and I traveled from our main stop in Florence so we consolidated into one suitcase for the trip to Orvieto and then Rome. Had to bring the suitcase back down to my friend's building so she could get her belongings out. We asked the gentleman who showed her the room in the separate building to wait two minutes so he could help with my suitcase back up to the main hotel - he said, "of course" then disappeared and was nowhere to be seen when I came out literally two minutes later. Really?! So back I go up the main hotel again with my suitcase in tow (again) and to the very unfriendly woman who checked me in. My room was a little nicer than my friend's but double the price of course. It was quite noisy with activity from a concert in the main square so got no sleep. Wifi spotty and kept kicking us out. And the paintings of massacres above my bed didn't help. Out at the shops we found the same attitude - so maybe it's all of Orvieto. We had just come from a very welcoming and very friendly town called Cortona where we had a wonderful time, and to this dismal unfriendly town and hotel. I had spent one afternoon in Orvieto years ago and thought I'd like to come back to spend more time. I was very wrong. Did not enjoy Orvieto and will bypass in the future and go directly to Rome. We had a wonderful time in Italy overall and this town and hotel were the only downside of an otherwise superior trip. We felt the staff of this hotel (maybe the owners for all I know, a young couple) were grouchy, curt, and unhelpful. And the rooms overpriced for what you get. Skip Orvieto or at least this hotel.

1 Thank Kelly P
16555, Proprietario at Hotel Duomo, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Ms.Kelly, thank you very much for your review. I'm so sorry if you had a trouble with a bus or with a concert in Piazza Duomo,we are in the historical center and there is a bus every day,just maybe you didn't wait it or there is a taxi.
About the rooms, your reservation it was for two rooms one in the main hotel and one in our Annex at 50 metres from the hotel but you did know that,you made it ! And you did know the prices too,was on the reservation with all the descriptions of the rooms,your reservation was made by Booking.com
So, we are so sorry if you had all this troubles,I just would like to explain that you reserved a 3 stars hotel with simple people that working very hard every day for made all perferct for our guest,maybe was you already disappointed before the arrival for other things.
All the other review are very nice with us and with all the Orvieto people.I hope one day that you can change your mind and coming back to visit us.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel 3 now (2010, 2011, and 2014). The owners and their staff are very friendly and the customer service is great. Orvieto is a super 'gateway' city, and we typically stay here one night on our way to Tuscany or Umbria; it is a 90 minute drive from Rome. Their patio garden is lovely with many flowers and nice seating. They have umbrellas in the lobby for guests to use, and they will help park your car, if needed. Modern, updated rooms.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple