“Fantastic food and ambiance in Orvieto”

Le Grotte del Funaro
Ranked #35 of 181 Restaurants in Orvieto
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: In the historic center and medieval heart of Orvieto, 10 meters from the elevator to the Campo della Fiera parking lot, there is a cave in the cliff that was carved out by hand. This atmospheric place witnessed the craft of rope making over many centuries. Today this cave is a distinctive and one of a kind restaurant where one can taste traditional flavours made new in unique and harmonious combinations, such as: Truffles, porcini mushrooms, wild game. Or, if you prefer, you can enjoy a variety of seafood, skillfully prepared, or take in the smokey aromas of our pizza baking in wood, brick ovens. We serve the highest quality products and excellent wines from our well, stocked "cantina". The rooms are made up of the original stone walls and vaulted ceilings of the cave and which fancifully meander onto different floors. It's winding, welcoming, rich in charm and history. In addition, we have a summer veranda which offers eating outside where you can enjoy the beauty of the landscape that surrounds the cliff.
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This restaurant was one of my two favorites in Orvieto and is definitely worth dining at for one of your meals. The interior of the restaurant is built into ancient Etruscan caves, giving it a really fun, historic atmosphere (in spite of being in a cave, it is not dark or claustrophobic). Additionally, there is a small patio outside that is perfect at sunset, because you can walk to the edge of the city walls and enjoy one of my favorite places in Orvieto to watch the sun set!

The food here was incredible. During my two-week stay, we ended up returning here three times because of the vegetables and how they were prepared. The bruschetta with the shaved zucchini, tomatoes and cheese was to die for, the grilled veggies were amazing, as were the pizzas and pasta dishes. Our group didn't seem to order a bad meal on any of the three occasions!

Highly, highly recommend this to anyone traveling to Orvieto for lunch or dinner.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Large restaurant in a typical Orvieto tufo cave, with windows with a spectacular view if you are near them.

There is also an outside dining area in the small Piazza where the restaurant is situated, but although we wanted to eat there we were told it was too windy! In fact it wasn't too windy, or even windy at all (although it had been the day before) and it seemed to me that the staff were perhaps avoiding the trouble of laying the tables and going up and down the stairs.

Service was a bit hit and miss. We were initially served by a young lady who apparently would have preferred to have been elsewhere doing something else, but eventually the Maitre D' took over and he was helpful and attentive.

We enjoyed very good pizzas which were both piping hot and fresh. Wine was a bottle of Antinori Tignanello for €80.00 which was opened elsewhere (i.e. not at the table).

I always prefer my wine to be uncorked (or unscrewed) at the table, and I was a little surprised that it wasn't. No matter - when it came it was without doubt the real McCoy so there was no problem.

1  Thank Intrepidity060
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Altough we normally don't do restaurants in Italy, but prefer trattorias or cantinas, this was very much recommended by Jude, the concierge at the hotel....he was right...beautiful setting, excellent food, and good prices for a restaurant ....we tasted a great Barberani wine, red, local, a grape we did not know before and it was worth it...highly recommended both for the food and the setting...

Reviewed May 5, 2014

My husband and I ate dinner in Le Grotte del Funaro on our last night in Orvieto. We had been walking past this restaurant every day as it was not too far from our B&B, and my husband kept saying 'we have to go there…it's in a cave'. Well, we're certainly happy we did! The best food so far on our Europe trip…my husband had fire roasted suckling pig with roasted potatoes and I had the potato gnocchi with truffles and garlic sauce. Amazing!!

Reviewed April 13, 2014

This is a great restaurant, as you walk down the stairs you are greeted with friendly waiters, the restaurant resembles being in a cave, the ambiance is romantic, as you walk through to your tables you observe the wood burning over, I ordered the Gnocci al Tartuffo, it was delightful, there is pizza for the kiddos, the house wine is great too, I recommend this place.