“A revelation!”

Trattoria La Palomba
Ranked #10 of 183 Restaurants in Orvieto
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I never had fresh truffles before I came here in October and what an introduction! Everything we had was fantastic, and the staff was as excited about the food and wine as we were! Meanwhile it was a lively and unpretentious atmosphere made it one of the best meals we had in our 3 weeks in Italy. It's not expensive, but it should be!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,493)

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We had eaten at La Palomba three times previously and we knew how busy it gets. We had made a dinner reservation, but decided to see if we could be seated for lunch. Fortunately, they had room for us and we were seated at a corner table in their second dining room. Under the table was a glass floor which looked on to their cave wine cellar. It was really interesting.

For lunch we had bruschetta and umbrichelli (a local pasta). One of us had it with tartufi (truffles) and the other had a spicy arrabiata sauce. With wine, our bill was 47 euros.

For dinner, I had a repeat of the ubrichelli with tartufi and my husband had tagliatelli with cinghiale (wild boar) sauce. With bruschetta and wine, our bill was 42 euros.

The food was excellent and the service was very good. This is a family run trattoria and this is the same staff who waited on us several years ago. Reservations are recommended.

4  Thank luvroma2
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I asked a local jeweler to make a recommendation for my friends and I to eat and he quickly gave me this trattoria's name. A lovely gem, hidden from the main area, clearly popular with locals, made for a most pleasant surprise. We ordered their antipasti house-selection plate (a little of everything) and it was delicious. I had the wild boar - excellent. My friends have more traditional plates (veal, cacio pepe) and enjoyed their meals. Nice wine selection. Very friendly staff.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Restaurant seemed nice, busy and cozy. Only wanted a light meal and 2 simple spaghetti meals without drinks but with all the add-ons came to Euro23 which is a quite a lot. Spag with tomato sauce fine but who could get that wrong. Tagliatelli with mushrooms was dry, probably due to a lack of mushrooms! All in all can't recommend this restaurant - we certainly would avoid as there are much better quality and value places to eat.

3  Thank Ian E
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Went there on a recommendation from a local barista, and we had a great evening at La Palomba. Umbrichelli al tartuffo starters were cooked perfectly, and very tasty. Salsicce and wild boar main courses were great, the salsicce were so good it wasn't even funny. Panna cotta and caldo-freddo desserts were very competent. Service was very nice, and the prices were well-judged and fair. Really a good experience.