“Amazing meal that I still dream of”

Trattoria La Palomba
Ranked #7 of 176 Restaurants in Orvieto
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
San Francisco, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing meal that I still dream of”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I was in Italy for three weeks, constantly looking for good food and wine, and the carbonara al tartufo from La Palomba is one of the most amazing things I found. Delightful service, good prices, cheerful ambiance and an unforgettable meal served by wonderful people. Hope I live long enough to go back.

• Visited May 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
“Everything on average but the price”
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

It seems to me the same tourist trap, even if that restaurant was suggested by a local hotel owner.
Food edible, an expensive wine just drinkable, the starter of local cold cuts well under average (poor portion), too crowdy in a small place, price very high for what they offer.
My boar pasta was nothing spectacular, on the contrary it tasted just of tomato sauce. The meat was not of the finest quality and didn't taste good (even with the truffle). Even the dessert (cantucci and vin santo) disappointed me.
Why should you go to eat there? The answer is easy. Just don't.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Gildor1503
Boston, Massachusetts
“A Lovely Local Trattoria”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This place was recommended by our hotel just around the corner and we were glad we took their advice. Luckily, we were early for lunch as it got fairly busy. We were enjoying our choices very much when we saw some guests at the adjacent table get shaved truffles and olive oil on slices of bread (we hadn't noticed that on the menu) and we inquired. We couldn't resist -- where else can you get this at these prices? Delicious.

Everything was very good. Go there if you are near the Piazza della Republica.

• Visited September 2013
Greensboro, North Carolina
“As good as Rick Steves says...”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

But don't get there as soon as they open (I know we were starving by 8pm too), otherwise you are dining with other tourists. And yes, they do have pigeon (piccione) on the menu. I got a very basic pasta dish, freshmade, and they brought a BOWL FULL OF TRUFFLES to the table to grate over my pasta... mmm!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Harmons531
Padua, Italy
“GREAT LUNCH”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This place appealed to us due to the write-ups on trip advisor so we decided to give it a try.
My Darling and I shared an antipasto plate dedicated to the salumi of the region , all excellent samples of local produce .
We followed that by a plate of pasta with truffles , and another pasta dish made with wild boar.
The clientele were all tourists , Italian tourists as well . A lot of Japanese or maybe Korean people were enjoying themselves.
The pasta with truffles , arrived undressed at the table , whereupon the lovely waitress shaved the fresh truffle on top under our eyes. This was an impressive sight for me.
My pasta with wild boar sauce had a tomato base , so it was very similar to bolognese sauce in flavour . The flavour was good , but not distinctively wild boar . I have had wild boar sauce before that has been more flavoursome and distinct , so might recommend to the cooks to perhaps rethink the recipe for the wild boar sauce. Just a suggestion and just my taste.
I was particularly impressed by the all female staff in the dining room of this restaurant , they were all very efficient , friendly , beautifully mannered and caring . Not always what one gets in a very touristic place . We really noticed how well this team worked together and the respectful attitude held by all of them , they were young, enthusiastic and their professionalism was extraordinary.
I would recommend this restaurant , and I will return for other seasonal local offerings in future.

• Visited September 2013