“Incredible meal at great price”

Trattoria del Moro - Aronne
Ranked #6 of 176 Restaurants in Orvieto
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had a great lunch for four people with wine for about $60. Considering it was one of the best meals we have had in Italy and Orvieto is a tourist destination, $60 is very reasonable. The house wine was descent.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,018)

Reviewed July 9, 2013

As good as it gets.---One of our best meals in Italy. The restaurant seemed to have more locals than visitors both times we were there, a good sign of the food quality and value. The menu is complete and the food delicious. You must try the 'nidi' - folds of fresh pasta enveloping warm, gooey Pecorino cheese, sweetened with honey. It's phenominal, as is the creme brulee.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I discovered this restaurant almost as soon as I arrived town, but didn't realise just what I had discovered until I checked Tripadvisor. So I turned up just after they opened for lunch on a Sunday, and scored one of the very last tables available. And BOY was I in for a treat. I opted for a starter of various wild boar charcuterie, and it was so delicious I nearly passed out. Those delicate scents and tastes I have never come across before. For the main course I had salted cod (baccala) Orvieto style and again it nearly drove me crazy with pleasure. Subtle spices which I couldn't pinpoint perfected the dish, and even the Sage poatoes that I ordered on the side took on a finer shine. Hard to explain, but it was one of those food experiences that just lingers with you for a long time (and ruins any subsequent visits at other establishments!) Add to that cheerful and observant service and it don'tget much better. And the prices? Actually very affordable, so don't let that keep you away. If you turn up early for lunch you might be lucky like me, but definitely book ahead for dinner. Very highly recommended!

1  Thank DSS11
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Our food was excellent, truly Italian and very high quality. This is a family run establishment and the service is not pretentious, but it was full of Italians, which says everything. There is a good selection of high quality wines at very reasonable prices.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

This place was recommended to us by our accommodation. We tried to go one night but it was closed. We tried to go the next night and it was also closed. We sent an email which was not answered and left a note. We finally did get a reservation. The place was packed. We were seated right away and the man there said he would be back to help us with our order. Two blonde american ladies were at the table next to us and this other man helped them for a good 20 minutes. No one came back to us until this gruff lady showed up. All other tables were given there drinks and bread and we had none. We finally ordered and the waiter came back to help the 2 ladies. We had to ask for things. That aside the food was wonderful. We had this specialty dish with honey that was recommended and a variety of other pastas and desserts. It was really good. THE SERVICE WAS CONTINUALLY AWFUL THOUGH. Maybe the lady was mad that my husband sat in one seat in the 4 person table that we were given and she wanted him in another. She was very rude about it and he gladly moved. At the end we left a small tip and she ran to the table and made this awful face. i was so embarrassed. She did little for us yet wanted a huge tip. I hope that the owner reads this. We told the lady at our lodging and she loves the family and was so surprised. I told her that her other recommendation of La Palomba was better. This would have been a perfect evening but the stress caused by this awful waitress kinda ruined it for us. Do go though as the food is great. Steer clear of an older lady.