“Best meal in Italy ever? Very possible.”

Trattoria del Moro - Aronne
Ranked #5 of 170 Restaurants in Orvieto
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Ski Municipality, Norway
“Best meal in Italy ever? Very possible.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I discovered this restaurant almost as soon as I arrived town, but didn't realise just what I had discovered until I checked Tripadvisor. So I turned up just after they opened for lunch on a Sunday, and scored one of the very last tables available. And BOY was I in for a treat. I opted for a starter of various wild boar charcuterie, and it was so delicious I nearly passed out. Those delicate scents and tastes I have never come across before. For the main course I had salted cod (baccala) Orvieto style and again it nearly drove me crazy with pleasure. Subtle spices which I couldn't pinpoint perfected the dish, and even the Sage poatoes that I ordered on the side took on a finer shine. Hard to explain, but it was one of those food experiences that just lingers with you for a long time (and ruins any subsequent visits at other establishments!) Add to that cheerful and observant service and it don'tget much better. And the prices? Actually very affordable, so don't let that keep you away. If you turn up early for lunch you might be lucky like me, but definitely book ahead for dinner. Very highly recommended!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank DSS11

• Korean first
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Excellent food in a family run trattoria”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Our food was excellent, truly Italian and very high quality. This is a family run establishment and the service is not pretentious, but it was full of Italians, which says everything. There is a good selection of high quality wines at very reasonable prices.

Alberta
“Wonderful food but not so wonderful service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

This place was recommended to us by our accommodation. We tried to go one night but it was closed. We tried to go the next night and it was also closed. We sent an email which was not answered and left a note. We finally did get a reservation. The place was packed. We were seated right away and the man there said he would be back to help us with our order. Two blonde american ladies were at the table next to us and this other man helped them for a good 20 minutes. No one came back to us until this gruff lady showed up. All other tables were given there drinks and bread and we had none. We finally ordered and the waiter came back to help the 2 ladies. We had to ask for things. That aside the food was wonderful. We had this specialty dish with honey that was recommended and a variety of other pastas and desserts. It was really good. THE SERVICE WAS CONTINUALLY AWFUL THOUGH. Maybe the lady was mad that my husband sat in one seat in the 4 person table that we were given and she wanted him in another. She was very rude about it and he gladly moved. At the end we left a small tip and she ran to the table and made this awful face. i was so embarrassed. She did little for us yet wanted a huge tip. I hope that the owner reads this. We told the lady at our lodging and she loves the family and was so surprised. I told her that her other recommendation of La Palomba was better. This would have been a perfect evening but the stress caused by this awful waitress kinda ruined it for us. Do go though as the food is great. Steer clear of an older lady.

Bridge of Weir, United Kingdom
“Wish this restaurant was local.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Described as a small ‘almost spartan’ trattoria, this establishment excels in the quality of food – both regional and well loved general Italian dishes. It is served in a friendly and relaxed manner and although not expensive the experience was the best that we had on a recent Italian holiday. It was recommended to us by the telegraph travel section and how glad we were that we noticed it.
Booking is probably essential and can be done effectively by email before travel.

Hoboken, New Jersey
“Best meal in Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

If you want to find this gem, either turn on your trip advisor app and have them navigate you or simply walk down the main strip eyeballing each alley. The restaurant is a welcomed break from the "tourist" menu advertisements on random restaurants. We had 2 dishes which were both equally incredible.

First, we had the tagliatelle with porcino and truffle. The pasta was fresh and cooked perfectly. The sauce was light, but the flavor was so intense.

The other dish we had was the polpettine di Melanzane... I have never enjoyed eggplant as much as this meal. Three meatball shaped eggplant balls with cheese, breadcrumb, and a light tomato sauce.

It was so good that we considered driving out of the way to come back later in the week.

• Visited June 2013