“Yummy and delicious food.”

Trattoria di Cagnano
Reserve with
Trattoria di Cagnano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 101 Restaurants in Montepulciano
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Reviewed June 11, 2014

We ate here 1st night in Montepulciano and returned the following night as other dishes being served looked too good to pass up. The pizza makers work magic with melt in your mouth crust and toppings. The artichoke side dish and their risotto sublime. Do not hesitate to eat here. The building has rustic and inviting atmosphere. Can get very loud and hot in the back room so I recommend either patio or front dining room.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,353)

Reviewed June 10, 2014

I visited Cagnano on several occasions, mostly for lunch with a small group of friends from the Italian language school (il Sasso) I was attending in Montepulciano. We quickly got to know the staff, and they us. The place was generally bustling over the lunch period and into the afternoon. We always chose to eat at the outside tables so we could watch life go by.
The food was generally of a high standard, tasty and well prepared. A favourite was the Carpaccio of Pear. I enjoyed several pizzas, and plates of pasta (the local pici, and some gnocchi). The house wine was well priced and very drinkable. Coffees were also good, but hey, this IS Italy :-)

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Arrived late in Montepulciano. We're shown a table instantly. Greeted cordially. Small wine list but decent selections. Fantastic mussels in tomato broth with pizza dough bread bowl. Then an excellent pizza Toscana. The grappa went down hard as grappa often does ;)
Excellent casual place for pizza and wine

Reviewed May 27, 2014

This is a restaurant that you relax into. It's one I've been visiting for many years and is relaxing and as comfortable as your favourite joggers.
Without doubt the best pizza in town but an all over great menu.
Inexpensive and great. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

One of our first evenings in Montepulciano was a raw rainy one, and the menu and promise of wood fire pizza beckoned us into di Cagnano, hoping for a table. The first surprise is that there is so much seating, in front, upstairs and a lovely old barrel roofed wine cellar where we were seated. The young waiter was an immediate hit with us, he spoke enough English to work with my limited Italian (the menu has English subtitles also). He was very patient explaining the various pizzas we asked about. First, they were enormous, we could have split one! Mine was the grilled vegies, my husband's had prosciutto and sausage (I wish I wrote this sooner so I could remember the specifics) and both were heavenly! We returned another night and when the waiter saw us, he had us seated in his area again. That evening we shared an antipasti with cheese toast, wild boar and salami that was amazing! I had a pasta with rabbit and aubergine that was rich and flavorful, and my husband claimed that his lasagna was the creamiest he ever eaten. We followed our meal with the homemade Limoncello that was as warm and wonderful as our experience there! They have one of the most varied menus (and reasonably priced) we saw in our travels and if we stayed longer we would have tried everything!