“Outstanding”

Ranked #8 of 100 Restaurants in Montepulciano
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Opened till 1966, tuscan food, garden for summer time, romantic dinner.
Reviewed December 8, 2013

This is a fantastic find with really lovely staff. Some outdoor seating with great views of the Duomo. If you cannot get an outside table, I won't worry too much as there is a battle with bitting insects and the inside space is lovely too. Family run, attention to detail and a wide wine selection. Not to miss

1  Thank comfortfun

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have been in Italy on and off for years and especially in Tuscany. I have heard about La Grotta from a number of people who really like it and say it is amongst the best food in Tuscany. I have no idea why it has taken me this long to get there but on my latest trip I did manage to go there with two friends. Unfortunately I left rather unimpressed (apart from the bill which was rather impressive!). The service was very good but the food lacked style and flavor. I left feeling there is little substance to this restaurant. Granted there was no room for complaint as the food was edible but there are far better restaurants in Tuscany where you don't have to pay exorbitant prices and the food is much better. I am in absolutely no rush to go there again anytime soon. 'Try somewhere else' would be my review.

1  Thank John J
Reviewed November 29, 2013

A truly wonderful experience is to be had at this delightful restaurant opposite the church of San Biagio just outside Montepulciano's walls. My wife and I could not have had a better experience - impeccable service (good English), fabulous presentations and really excellent food - at our recent lunch there. We were offered a white wine aperitif soon after being seated and a great chef appetizer creation - porcini and baked pecorino. My wife had the artichoke and spinach tart starter, complete with a fabulously prepared thin slice of bacon, and couldn't pass up on the white tartufo tagliatelle, cooked to perfection. I tried the tasting menu - and was not disappointed - the artichoke/spinach tarte, pate crostini, white bean soup, pigeon ravioli, lamb cutlets and dessert selection. Amazingly good.

1  Thank Rocknrareair
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We have been living in Italy over a year and have had some pretty amazing meals. Lunch at La Grotta was one of the best we have had thus far. The location is just outside the village of Montepulciano right in front of a gorgeous church. It is tucked away but from the outside terrace you can see the top of the church. Quiet and unassuming, this restaurant was the perfect end to a lovely afternoon before heading back to Rome. The owner was attentive and friendly. The dishes were extraordinary. The pasta was cooked to perfection as was the secondi. Because the plates were simple (yet elegant), the flavors really came through. Just remember to save room for dessert! All I can say is that the two hour drive from Rome is worth it just for this amazing little place!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

La Grotta is located outside the medieval town wall, part of the 16th C ensemble facing the Renaissance jewel of San Biagio, and as his meal unfolds the diner feels he has discovered a culinary diamond. We savored every course, enjoying a leisurely lunch in the company of a relative who lives in the town. The dining room is appointed with understated elegance, and the owner was pleased to share time and observations with us at the end of the meal. He had accommodated our arrival a quarter-hour after the 2:15 close of La Grotta's lunch hours, which we certainly appreciated.