“Tiny bar with character”
Review of Sax Wine Bar

Sax Wine Bar
Ranked #51 of 101 Restaurants in Montepulciano
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stopped by for an early evening drink while walking through the town. The beer was fine, service ok and the place has more character than comfort!

There are newer reviews for Sax Wine Bar

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stop in for a drink and definitely order the meat plate antipasti. The meats are from the owners' private farm. Very different from what you'll find at the supermarket or even the open air market. High quality meats people! The drinks are normal. The pizza and calzone are ok but not great. Caprese salad was excellent. Good last resort place because it is open quite often.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

In was early afternoon and we were keen to get out of the cold weather the day we visited Montepulciano in early Feb. and nothing was really open except for Sax.
I am always reluctant to go into places that have westernized their name as this often leads to westernized menu choices but we didn't have much option available to us and I was pleasantly surprised.
At first glance the decor is quite dinghy but dont let that stop you from taking a seat in this small cafe/bar. We ordered local house wine and pizzas to share and they were all tasty and freshly made, mine was with mushrooms and had a selection of whole mushrooms of various varieties on top.
I am not sure what else there is on offer in this town but don't overlook this place for a quick, hearty and quick meal.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

The first and most important thing to note about this restaurant is that they are always open. Seriously, I think I saw the neon OPEN sign dark only twice during my entire 6 week stay in Montepulciano. This may not seem like a big deal, but just wait until you're hungry outside the normal lunch and dinner hours when all the other restaurants are closed!

The menu is surprisingly extensive for such a small place especially when you realize that everything is prepared in a tiny oven behind the bar! All the meals I had here were delicious and filling. I especially enjoyed their pici dishes (al ragu and al cinghiale). The owners were very kind and accommodating and always made me feel like I was a guest in their home.

1  Thank Kimberly H
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We came and got great service and a smile to go with it. For what Sax is trying to accomplish, it more than meets expectations. The lady that waited on us was more than polite and we wished we could have stayed longer.