“Keeps Getting Better!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Montepulciano
Seattle
“Keeps Getting Better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

This is our third stay at the Villa. That says it all. We have stayed at 5 Star properties through out Europe at the United States. Villa Poggiano is on par with all of them! The room was expansive and up to date. The bathroom was larger than some hotel rooms I have stayed in. The breakfast was excellent and enjoyed it every day during our stay

The difference in the property was Stefania. She is effortless in her care of her clients (as are her staff). She provides support and guidance each day as if it was the first time she discussed restaurants in Montepulciano or how to visit a winery in Montalcino. A hug on our arrival and departure set the tone for the visit and why we will be back.

When we left Villa Poggiano my wife forgot to pack her “beloved pillow”. Stefania had it FedEx’ed to the next location without complaint or delay.

We will be back to Tuscany and to the Villa Poggiano!

• 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Los Gatos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

Location: Perfect
Room: Perfect
Breakfast: Perfect
Staff: Perfect

A beautifully restored villa in extensive and beautifully landscaped grounds. A five minute drive from Montepulciano but nicely off the main road providing a totally peaceful and relaxing hide-away. The staff are welcoming and friendly and the owner, Stefania, provided a personal and warm welcome and was helpful in every aspect of our five night stay (places to visit, places to hike, places to eat and places to hang out and do nothing).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
newport beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

I am a complete hotel snob, and I can't tell you enough about our stay at Villa Poggiano. We arrived from St. Regis Rome to this Villa, and it blew my mind away. The rooms are cozy and romantic. The view is breathless. They have faboulus breakfast. Upon your arrival, we were greated by the owner Stefani. She walked outside in the rain and greeted my husband and I, and recommended the best restaurants and guidance. She is remarkable and loves what she does, it shows.

Stefani, we had such an amazing time. Thank you for your 5 star hospitality during our stay – L & J

saratoga, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

My new wife and I selected a trip to Italy for our honeymoon, primarily Rome and Tuscany, in that order. This was my second trip to Italy, it was my bride's first. While newly wed, we are both in our 50's, so we have done a fair amount of travel in our past lives.

Our Rome experience turned out to be very poor as a result of being pick-pocketed (despite being on very high alert for just such an event). It's difficult to describe the despair of finding yourself in another country with no reliable financial resources to depend on.

After our adverse experience in Rome, we desparately needed a break. Which is exactly what Villa Poggiano very thankfully provided for us.

When we arrived, Maria didn't just hand us a key and point us in the direction of our room. Instead, she walked us over to a building that we had to ourselves, which is only a few years old and very, very nicely decorated. It included an amply sized bedroom and living room, and a large bathroom. The furnishings included some beautiful antiques. The bed was very comfortable to sleep in. The space was quite large, and our views of one of the Tuscan hills immediately began to calm the stress we experienced in Rome. The room included a TV, but who needed that, when you have Tuscany to stare at, just outside our window?!

After showing us the room we ultimately decided to take, Maria then told us we also had the option of staying in the main house, which (if I recall) is a 16th century mansion. The 'room' she showed us was really much more that of a very large apartment. It was also quite nicely decorated. If someone were looking for a different kind of experience, the 'apartment' would probably be of interest. We decided to stay at the first unit Maria showed us, because the view was better and, given we were honeymooning, having our own private space was more attractive to us.

Being a bit of a historic preservation affecionado, I was truly impressed with how the property has been restored. As I came to learn, after WWII the property quickly slipped into decline. The owner, Stephania, and her family purchased and restored the main house, the beautiful pool and outbuildings, and constructed the handful of new buildings. Clearly, much thought.....and much more work.....went into restoration of this remarkable property.

The grounds are also beautiful, although the unusual chilly weather prevented us from enjoying it to the extend we would have. The landscaping, statuatory, olive trees, perfectly kept pea gravel roads, pool, views, etc. are most appealing.

The area of new buildings also included a building for an excellent buffet breakfast. Omelets and a few other egg-based 'scratch' meals were also offered, but I was perfectly satisfied with the buffet offerings. The tables included linens, rather than paper, and breakfast always included nicely selected background music that provided just a wonderful start to our day.

Due to the pickpocketing in Rome, my new wife and I were doing a financial doggie paddle, waiting for a new credit card to be delivered to Villa Poggiano. Stephania could not have been more accomodating in trying to assist us. The 'human touch' was clearly evident from both Stephania and Maria. They were also very helpful in suggestions with places to eat, find wine, and other venues.

The location of Villa P in relation to some of the medieval walled villages is excellent. It is about centered between Montepuliciano and Cantino, which while similar, also have unique character. We found plenty of wonderful food, wine, art, architecture and other interests.

Unfortunately, the weather during our entire trip was very poor. Not much that we could do about that but make the best of it! But, having been in Italy previously, and earlier in the calendar (April) I can attest that the weather can be absolutely wonderful.

I should warn that, for some silly reason, my Garmin instructed me to drive about five miles past Villa P, turn around in a parking lot, and double back to my the Villa. At no point (other than turning around in the parking lot) did it 'recalculate'.

I was absolutely stunned by the beauty of Tuscany. I took more photos than I expected. A recurring thought was 'if Tuscany looks this beautiful in bad weather, I can't imagine how wonderful it must be in good weather'.

Having travelled to a moderate degree throughout my life, I have to consider Villa Poggiano one of the top five places that I have ever stayed.

My wife and I are talking about a return trip to Tuscany in the next year or two. When we do, we will most definitely be staying once again at Villa Poggiano!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

OK. Let me first say that I have traveled quite a bit in Europe, as well as lived there, but I reside in the states in Washington, DC. I have never been so happy with a stay in Europe than at this small hotel.

Stefania, the manager of the establishment, is simply incredible. She took the time to help us plan out a two day tour of the wine country for Brunello and Viino Nobile vinyards. She booked all of our appointments at each one. She then mapped out the small towns we should hit along the way to ensure we had the full experience. Oh, and that is not something they charge you for - they just do it to ensure you have a great experience.

The breakfast each morning is fantastic. A full spread of fresh local food and drink, with cappacino's and eggs made fresh upon request. Get the junior suite if you can, its a wonderful two room accomidation with a fantastic bathroom compared to other places you stay for the same rate.

The pool and the grounds are wonderful. The views are rediculous. As you drive out of their private and gated parking area tucked behind a vinyard you see the entire city of Montepulciano from the ridge. You almost slam your breaks and jump out with a camera.

When you arrive they will list 6 to 8 different restaruants in town that are not on the tourist map. They will set up reservations for any of them for you upon request, and suggest closer one's the at the bottom of the city on your first day if you arrive a bit tired. You MUST go to La Grotta and have them book it for you. One of the best meals I had on the trip - get the Pork crusted with coffee. Trust me on this one.

Oh, and for the show stopper, I was stupid enough to forget my wallet in the safe when we left like a rookie traveler. No problem. Stefania arranged for a courier to pick it up and deliver it to FedEx for me. She then emailed me the confirmation number and double checked with both the courier and Fedex the next day to ensure it shipped.

Let me conclude by saying that this trip was the 10th wedding anniversary for my wife and I, and thus we had high expectations. I am also a senior executive at a company in the states and I am accustomed to getting good service for a good value. Let me simply say that you are a fool if you dont book this hotel when you go. Oh, and when you go there, book a night at Osteria Aquacheta (http://www.acquacheta.eu/). The experience is incredible when you see the owner up their chopping your steak for you by the big brick ovens and brings it down to you for you to approve. Wow!!!

1 Thank MontysBox
Kildare I
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

Just returned from two weeks vacation in Ville Poggiano. What an exoerience! The most beautiful, relaxing and welcoming ville in Tuscany. It is only surpassed by the host Stefania's hospiality, advice and wonderful sense of humour. Definitely planning a return visit. John & Therese Hayes - Ireland

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed at Villa Poggiano on our honeymoon in June 2009 and it was beyond our epectations. Not only were the grounds and room beautiful and the views stunning, the staff was fantastic. Stefania is the most gracious and helpful host - there is nothing she can't help you with and she has some great ideas of what to see and do in the area. The pool area was quite relaxing and it felt like our own private oasis. I would stay here again in a heartbeat - it was a pleasure.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montepulciano
Villa Cicolina
Castello Banfi - Il Borgo
Castello Banfi - Il Borgo
#1 of 14 in Montalcino
5.0 of 5 stars 352 reviews

Been to Villa Poggiano? Share your experiences!