“Superb and welcoming!”

Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Montepulciano
Charleston, South Carolina
“Superb and welcoming!”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed at Villa Poggiano with my brother and parents last week, and our experience could not have been better. The property itself is gorgeous, but as other people have commented, it's Stefania and her staff that really made our trip worthwhile.

It didn't hurt that Stefania reminded us all of my Aunt Lisa, whom we adore!

We took a cooking class our first day, and that was a really fun way to start off that segment of our trip. Stefania sent a list of 5 menu choices, and we made our selection before we arrived. Assunta, the chef, was very patient and warm, and Stefania stayed for our class in case we needed any assistance in translation. Not to mention, with Assunta's guidance, the food turned out wonderfully and we enjoyed our dinner later that evening.

We also overplanned our trip to Tuscany a bit, and when it poured down rain on our last day, Stefania was great in helping us restructure our schedule.

I just want to go back for pool weather (as the pool is GORGEOUS)!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
72sfn, Owner at Villa Poggiano, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear CarolineC,

thank you very much for your fantastic review. I really enjoyed to have you and your family at the villa, what a lovely family you are.
I am happy that you liked our cooking class, you were so interested to lear, so now you know how to prepare pasta .

I am looking forward to see you during the summer time so you could enjoy the pool

stefania

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Marion, CT
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I can't say enough good things about Villa Poggiano and its hostess/owner Stefania and her staff. Rather than repeat all the great things that have been said on Tripadvisor, I would just say that it is excellent in every category, and I would not hesitate to go back and recommend this place to anyone contemplating a luxourious stay in Tuscany. The Villa itself is gorgeous and the views from its grounds are breathtaking. The rooms are large and very well appointed with antiques and fine furnishings. The bathrooms are large for Europe. Stefania was very helpful with reservations and planning trips from the Villa. The breakfast was outstanding with made to order omelets and a very nice selection of breads, meats, pastries and fruit. From the Villa, we made trips to Florence, Montalcino, Orvieto, Perugia and Assisi. While its location was advantageous for traveling by car, I would have been just as happy staying in the comfort and luxury of the Villa. We were there in mid October and appreciated the quietness of the place. If planning a trip to Tuscany, you will love your stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
72sfn, Proprietario at Villa Poggiano, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Mr WpMarionCt,

it has been a real pleasure to guest you and thank you to have choosen villa Poggiano as a base to discover the south of Tuscany and a bit of Umbria, you were busy during those days but I am happy that you enjoy to came back here and relax
Thank you for your compliment to our breakfast buffet , wich we particullary take care made different thinks every day.
Thank you for sharing lovely photos of the villa .
I hope to guest you again
Looking forward to see you again
Stefania
Reno, NV
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The mediocre rating I’m giving to this highly rated property is based not on a comparison of it to other’s in the area, but to other similar villa-style properties in region with which we have had direct experience. We are not new to Italy, having owned and lived at several properties in the coastal Ligurian area for a number of years.

As you will gather from other reviews, the property is quite nice, well-maintained, and quite charming. Staff provided solid information regarding directions, restaurants, and areas to visit. But it was a number of “little things” that detract from the whole experience.

For example, when my wife asked for an extra bath towel, she was directly told “No, you don’t need one!” and was informed how to dry her towel.

We had a junior suite in the Annex (rooms 14-17?). The in-room safe was not particularly attached to anything and could be put under ones arm and carried off. The suite, while relatively large, was not special and the cheap shower fixtures made the point. Use of the mini-bar contents does not imply that they will be replenished.

The villa is initially approached by accessing a gated cypress-lined driveway, however that well may be the last time one uses it as you are directed to always use a dirt farm road for further ingress and exit. This rutted farm road, which your car may bottom out on, makes you feel like you’re one of the staff rather than a “guest”. When asked why the main driveway can’t be used, we were told that our car would not gain enough traction from the parking area to access it (rubbish!).

The parking is 50 meters from the main house, and several hundred meters from the annex. In a decent rainstorm, you will not be impressed.

Breakfast was below average for comparable properties, and there was always a shortage of (frozen) brioche and fresh yoghurt, regardless of what time we appeared for breakfast, as if rationing was in effect.

As you might imagine, small changes in the administration could make this villa a true Tuscan destination. Absent some compelling reason, we will stay at other villa-style properties on our future visits to the region.

Room Tip: avoid the annex if possible
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gone-frequently
72sfn, Proprietario at Villa Poggiano, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
dear Mr Gone-frequently,

as already written in previous answer , I take care of all reviews and different point of view wich can be a base to always be better but please let me answer at " your little things" for wich you gave to us 3 stars

- towels: when you asked for extra towel we didn't say no. your questions was: the bathroom heating is not working and how can we warm up the towel? since you arrived the first day it turn cold (middle of October)and we phisically had not the time to swich the heater we told you that we will immediately provide, wich I personally did in 30 minutes from your request

- minibar is daily replenished

- use of the gate: I will try to be as much as I can clear for you but mostly for the future guestes
in 12 years we are open as an hotel you have been the first client who pushed constantly to use the main gate
We have a main entrance gate wich is really impressive and magnificient. then we have a parking area ( is a parking with view) , 50 metres from the house and from there a perfect well mantain gravel road in the middle of our olive trees wich bring to a lower gate that open automatically on the way to go out and we provide each guest a remote control to came in

Why we use that gate:
n.1 ; this is not a poor gate and it is only for the client no for the staff. The staff have a third entrance.
we have realized a parking and a gate wich is pratical and easy for every body because I personally realized that when guest get a rental car with manual transmission they found difficult to do ramps or go up hill wich we solve the problem with our lower gate.

n.2 : you insistently ask the staff to drive with your car in front the room. we kindly aswer the reason why not, wich is: if we will give to every body the possibility to do what they want ,means they could drive the car all around the house where we have rooms, at any hours, BUT my aim is to preserve all my guestes . Can you imagine people coming at nigth and drive just under a room? sorry I can't do that.
BUt if there are real reasons , as phisical problems, then we have always managed that , with no problem

Sorry, I am more than sure that you have owned many wonderful properties in Italy and for sure nicer that Villa Poggiano , but Villa Poggiano is not your property where you can do what you want, this is a small hotel where I have to garantee the same service and quality stay to everybody.

BREAKFAST: well this is your point of view, but it is not correct to say that was rationating. YOu have always been early at breakfast and then you enjoyed twice later with the rest of your group, so you have seen the buffet at least twice during our breakfast hours

I apologize with all the reader if I have been a little hard in my aswer , but I find your observation are not based. Onestly I think the reason you gave a poor rate was more personal , than based on objectivity.
My only apologize in this circumstance is that I had not the time to give my personal time to you , as I should do or as you was waiting from me, but I had other 26 guestes on a maximum capacity of 28 to take care.

Anyway that you to have choosen Villa Poggiano and to find the time to write a review
stefania savini
Boston, Mass
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Where to start? My husband and I stayed here in early Oct for 5 nights, and our stay proved to be everything the past reviews have raved about. Our suite #302 was spacious and elegantly furnished. The numerous tall windows looked out to the most amazing views. When I opened the shutters each morning, I had to catch my breath. There is almost no way to describe the beauty of the Tuscan landscape, and it is all there to enjoy from multiple vantage points at the Villa Poggiano. The warm hosptiality of Stephania and her staff envelope you from her first greeting to the last hug and arriverderci. The breakfasts in the lovely room provided were always a treat, from the home made yogurt and fruit, to the made to order delicious omelets, and pastries galore. It was a setting we were grateful to come "home" to after touring the countryside, always following Stefania's excellent recommendations for restaurants and itineraries. Montepulciano, the town itself, was as I imagined- a courtly walled city high on a hill, with winding narrow stone alleys, and charming shops. And the gelato, did I mention the gelato?
We highly recommend staying at Villa Poggiano on your next trip to Tuscany, we would not consider staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Suite 302 was elegant, spacious. Had juliette balcony overlooking the most beautiful views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

72sfn, Proprietario at Villa Poggiano, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear MrsJBiss,

I am very deligh that your stay exceeded your expectations, it is not easy if you have already hight expectations, really thank you

I have just to precise the number of the room you stayed , in case other guest that would like to have that. The one with a french balcony you stayed is our best superior suite n. 3 and it is really unique.

Thank you to share your experience at Villa Poggiano with the large Trip advisor community and I wish to guest you again if you will be back to Montepulciano

Stefania Savini and Villa Poggiano's staff
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights of our honeymoon in Italy. We somehow received an incredible room (#10) which had an AMAZING view of the countryside and was quite private. Breakfast was superb even though I probably ate too many pastries each morning. :)
The staff was really friendly and helpful, and helped us set up dinner reservations and even gave us a box to take some wine home in!
We will be staying here the next time we visit Tuscany!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
72sfn, Proprietario at Villa Poggiano, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Mrs BrittanyDPT,

thank to have choosen Villa Poggiano during your honey moon in Tuscany , it has been a pleasure to have you and you wife at the villa and I am pleased that you liked our classic room with view.

I hope to see you again in the future

I wish you all my best
stefania
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is the ideal way to stay in Tuscany. The accomodations, the views, the breakfast, even the internet connection has been honed to simple elegance. Stefania works to satisfy your every need; since we were leaving before breakfast in the morning, she brought us some cake and yogurt the night before. We definitely recommend the Villa if you are visiting this area.

1 Thank Thomas D
72sfn, Proprietario at Villa Poggiano, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Mr THomas D,

it was my pleasure to have you and your wife at Villa Poggiano, even if a short stay I am happy that you liked our kind of hospitality.

I really hope that if you will be back to MOntepulciano you will chiie again Villa Poggiano

Stefania and Villa POggiano's Staff
Morristown, Tennessee
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is absolutely the best place to stay in Tuscany! Where do I start...First and foremost is the warm hospitality of Stefania and her staff. They go out of their way to ensure you have a pleasurable stay at their Villa. The rooms are beautiful, with just the right combination of historic elegance and modern convenience. The grounds are expansive and beautiful, well tended and very peaceful. And the view of the Tuscan countryside was just incredible! I wanted to stay here the rest of our vacation instead of traveling to Florence! It is the perfect place to stay for exploring Tuscany! We look forward to returning to Villa Poggiano during our next trip to Tuscany!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
72sfn, Proprietario at Villa Poggiano, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Mrs Kelly
you just left yestarday and this morning I had this fantastic surprise.

You and your husband have been so nice with me and the staff and I am very happy that you didn't want to live the Villa to go to the next place but stay here,

I really hope that one day you will be back at Villa Poggiano

I wish you all my best