We stayed here for a few nights in the winter and enjoyed our visit. I think we were actually the only people in the hotel and it was very quiet in town. The hotel is located right inside the old town gate at the bottom of the (steep) hill and directly across from La Bottega del (Vino) Nobile, a TERRIFIC place to sample area wines and also to eat dinner. Hotel décor is old-fashioned and a bit worn with a mix of some beautiful and charming furniture and art. There are lots of common areas like a room with a billiard table and the landings are all furnished with antiques -- lots of nice books for travelers to browse. No elevator (I don't think).
Our room faced away from the square towards the east and Lago Trasimeno -- the small patio-balcony with a couple of chairs allowed us to appreciate the spectacular view. Noise was not a factor for us off-season, but it seems it can get noisy in the square at night in warmer weather -- so not a bad idea to ask for a room on this side, plus you get great views.
We had one large double and a single bed in a decent sized room with a wardrobe, large tv (good reception) and an electric kettle and small fridge. I found the beds in our room to be firm and pretty comfortable, maybe we just got lucky. The bathroom was small, with a shower stall and an outdated (and not very effective) hair dryer. The bathroom could definitely use an upgrade.
Breakfast was abundant and delicious. Espresso, cappuccino, etc and eggs made to order, fruit juices, fresh fruit, a wide variety of rolls, yogurt, cereals, pastries and -- best of all -- a selection of the most scrumptious cheeses. The fresh pecorino was truly out of this world! Also salami, ham, etc. Really excellent breakfast.
The staff was helpful and very attentive.
Montepulciano is truly a gem. The climb up through town is pretty strenuous but full of Renaissance palazzo, beautiful piazza, churches, and local family wine shops with tastings -- and terrific cheeses, cured meats, honey, etc for sale, many from the surrounding farms. San Biagio, just outside the town walls and downhill, is an amazingly compact Renaissance church and beautifully situated, though the interior was closed for renovations when we visited. It was still absolutely worth the walk and one of our favorite places in Italy.
Although every view in this town is wonderful, the views toward Pienza are jaw-droppingly gorgeous and the way sun and clouds shift color and light on the hills is my favorite memory of this part of Italy.
You gotta go!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Behind the Medicean column there is the Hotel Il Marzocco, the oldest in town. It was built in 1500 as a farm of the nearby convent. In 1860 it became a hotel and since the early 1900s it has been run by the same family. The hotel looks like a large house where the atmosphere of the old times is still kept. Its bedrooms open on wide lounges that, like the reading room and the sitting room, are furnished with genuine XIX century pieces. Some bedrooms have balconies or terraces with a view on the valleys, other ones have their windows over the Renaissance houses of the old town. The hotel has had important guests like actors, writers, politicians, all of whom are fond of the great view from its terraces. A free parking area is available, as well as comfortable relaxing spaces and a wide dining room where breakfast is served from a rich buffet with home-made bread and cakes, jams and pies. Among the roses of the garden, the Canada creeper climbs until the terraces and creates a pergola up to the roof, at first green in summer, than all red in September and yellow during the autumn. Red geraniums at the windows, together with the old lace curtains, add to the building a perfectly romantic touch. Wi-Fi Connection. We accept pets. Free Indoor garage for motorbikes and bicycles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Albergo Il Marzocco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Il Marzocco Montepulciano
- Il Marzocco Hotel Montepulciano