“Not a great place to buy wine”

Enoteca La Dolce Vita
Ranked #24 of 101 Restaurants in Montepulciano
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Nice looking place, but we were basically ripped off on our wine purchase. The gentleman, who was nice to us when we arrived, quoted me a price for a local Montepulciano wine that we could drink with our dinner that evening. Then he proceeded to withhold 2 euros from the change he gave me, even t.hough the receipt he handed me quoted the original price. I'm sure he noticed I was a tourist, and basically thought I wouldn't notice the difference. I don't know about you, but I basically do my best to never support these type of businesses. Even though 2 euros is no big deal, to me this is not a great way to run a business.

6  Thank MichaelDTC
There are newer reviews for Enoteca La Dolce Vita

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stopped by here a couple of times during the week for a glass or two of white wine and were impressed with the choice per glass of reds available. One evening we popped back to try a glass of biondi santi @ 19 euros for a small glass.
The wine was not good, and extremely acidic, either corked or not well kept and oxidated. I approached the owner and explained that I felt that the glass was not good. He went in to a 10 minute discussion trying to persuade me they this was how it was meant to taste! He was Extremely arrogant stating he had been passionate about wine for all of 15 years and (was obviously) therefore an expert. Luckily there are enough people in montepulciano who do have an understanding of wine and are not just out for commercial gain unfortunately this place is not one of them. Wine in the shop is overpriced and can be bought a little further up the street for less. Shame because the female waitress was very friendly and helpfull, she looked almost embarrassed when the owner let me pay for the bad wine. Although he succeeded in selling a glass of vinegar for 19 euros once he therefore ensured that we did not revisit for the remainder of our holiday, commercially not the best decision in my opinion.

5  Thank N W
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Food was great, very reasonable, good service, good ambiance, not expensive. Had appetizers, pasta, and a great wine selection.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We had a stop there for a glass of wine before we head to another place for dinner.
Since we had a bit of time to go, we also decided to try their beef tartar....
That was absolutely DELICIOUS!!!
If it hadn't been for our reservation at the other place, we would have spent the evening there.
Wine list is impressive, as for the enoteca itself.
Service was great and bill, while not exactly cheap, was still decent.
Higly recommended stop!

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We only had time for a snack here - incredible olive oil kissed bruschetta, but the setting itself and kind staff made you want to stay for an hour or two savoring a couple glasses of the local wine. Only wish we had more time!