“GREAT ROOMS AND BREAKFAST!!!”

Agriturismo le Caggiole
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Me and my wife stayed at Le Caggiole for 3 nights and we had a great experience, no doubt!

Location: approximately 5 minutes drive from Montepulciano entrance. When you are near the Agriturismo, attention: there is only a small sign indicating the entrance and on the road you see no other indications.

Rooms: exactly what you see on internet. Spacious, clean, well decorated with antique furniture, quality linen and, depending on your choice (we booked the "Lo Stalliere" room), amazing tuscan views! IMPORTANT: there is no hand or shower soup and no shampoo too. As we unfortunately were not aware about that by Giacomo, we had to buy those things in the city centre. There is also no safe box, but we felt very safe to leave our things in the room.

Breakfast: we love it! Good quality coffe, yougurt, cereals, bread, juice (not natural), some kind of fresh fruits and what we enjoy the most: the cakes and pies made by Mama Ornela! Hummmm....

Service: this is a family business managed by Giacomo, who is a host quite thoughtful and kind, always willing to give you good tips about the region. But, as you already know, this is not a five star hotel and, for example, you have internet access only when Giacomo is in the place by using his computer.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A COMFORT ROOM, A GREAT LOCATION TO EXPLORE THE TUSCAN COUNTRYSIDE, A DECENT BREAKFAST AND GOOD HOSTS, LOOK NO FURTHER: AGRITURISMO LE CAGGIOLE IS DEFINITELY THE PLACE!!!

1  Thank Gustavo P

Reviewed June 7, 2010

Le Caggiole is an agricultural B & B operated by Giacomo & his mother Ornella. The pictures you see on their web site (www.agriturismolecaggiole.it) are exactly what you see upon arrival. The rooms (we had the Stableman's room & the Wine Maker's room) were very spacious, nicely appointed with beautiful antique furniture, with a good mattress & a large, sparkling bathroom. The view from our window was a breathtaking expanse of small vineyards & olive groves. We were a short 10 minute drive to Old Town Montepulciano with all it's great restaurants, beautiful views, good wine, & ancient history. Momma Ornella baked fresh coffee-cakes, tarts, etc. every morning for breakfast along with cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, juices, coffee, tea, etc. There is a large stone picnic table available to guests overlooking the picturesque countryside & a terrace over the kitchen doing the same. Giacomo speaks excellent English & was most helpful; Momma Ornella keeps an English dictionary at hand when sign language & my almost non-existent Italian failed. It was a great base from which to explore the hill towns of Tuscany.

1  Thank Barbara_Flagstaff
Reviewed June 5, 2010

We spent one week at le Caggiole in Montepulciano.
The rooms was wonderful and cozy. And the view of the Tuscan countryside just outside was breathtaking.
Giacomo was helpful in offering suggested itineraries through nearby towns and sites. He was also very helpful in recommending the best restaurants in Montepulciano.
Giacomo's mother, Ornella, prepared an amazing and delicious homemade breakfast daily. Be prepared for a sweet breakfast with granola, cakes, and breads.
We also had the opportunity to enjoy one of her Tuscan dinners, again all homemade. It was delicious. If you opt for this go hungry as it is a full 5 course Tuscan supper. We even had the opportunity to help her make pasta in the kitchen!
Will definitely stay there again.

Reviewed June 2, 2010

My husband and I booked this place in Tuscany for two nights of our honeymoon. We were intrigued by the website which advertised a real cultural experience with Giacomo and his mother- citing tours of the family vineyards and home-cooked dinners. We booked this agriturismo because we thought it would provide a unique cultural experience rather than just a pretty b and b. Unfortunately, that experience didn't materialize for us. Giacomo was very nice and came to find us at the Montepulciano tourist office. After that, he answered our questions about the area when we asked, but to be honest wasn't particularly engaging and simply wasn't around very much (only in the mornings.) Although his mother's breakfasts were great, she didn't cook dinner while we were there, which was a disappointment. Our room was very pretty and clean and the place has a great shared terrace overlooking a very Tuscan vineyard. However, it ended up just being a pretty b and b, not much more. If we had known this, we would have stayed at a B and B in a more convenient location, probably closer to Siena.

Reviewed May 24, 2010

My wife and I and 5 other family members stayed here May 9 - 14, 2010 during a 2 week vacation in Tuscany & Umbria, and this was where we stayed the longest.

It was difficult for us to find this place, even though we had 2 gps units, 1 for each of 2 cars. We couldn't find the address he gave us on either gps unit, and the latitude and longitude figures that he gave us were wrong by about 1/2 mile which put is on a narrow dirt road, which got us really lost. When we called him to help us find the place, he would only tell us to go to a plaza in Montepulciano, which was not much help since he wouldn't give us an address to put into the gps and he wouldn't come to us to guide us to le Caggiole. We got some assistance from a local to find our way to a main road, and by luck found the plaza he told us to go to, then called him and he met us there to guide us to le Caggiole.

In his confirmation email he said they have internet service, but found out when we arrived that it is only in the office, which is only open 8:30 am - 10 am. It was important for me to be able to access the internet with my netbook, and I would have preferred to be able to use it later in the day when I was resting rather than in the morning when we wanted to get out the door to go sight seeing.

His confirmation email also said that it had a laundry, which we were looking forward to since we had booked it for 5 nights. When we asked about laundry when checking in, Giacomo said they didn't have any laundry.

Bring your own soap and shampoo because they only provide 4 little single use packets of soap, and didn't replenish them each day, so we had to buy our own soap from town.

Although Giacomo would answer questions if asked, he was only available in the morning from 8:30 am - 10 am.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank RSTravelingforFood
leCaggiole, Proprietario at Agriturismo le Caggiole, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2011

First I apologize to everyone for the mistakes to write this answer, with my little English...

Regarding the first claim of the review, I must say that it is useless to have 2 GPS units, but it would be useful to know how to use these: the coordinates provided are correct and correspond to the parking lot of the Agriturismo.

As I said in my confirmation email, we have internet wi-fi service and it is free for all our guests (usually they ask to check e-mails).
If the gentleman had told me that his was a business trip, or had special needs, I should have specified that the wi-fi system always works, except when there is a chance of thunderstorms (the server is burned three times in the past a lightning strike) in that case, it works only in the morning or when someone of our staff are in the office.

Claiming that in my e-mail confirmation I write that I have a laundry room, and say that soap and shampoo are not replenish every day, for me (and especially for my mother who takes care of the rooms!), is a defamatory statement that even deserve a response.

I want to clarify that in the morning, during breakfast time, I'm always in the office or living room, with (and for) my guests.
In the afternoon, when I do not expect new guests at the reception, usually, and as has happened in those days, I am engaged in farm work: The farm is around the Agriturismo and you can just call me (with your voice) for any kind of need.

I regret that a lack of dynamism can create a discomfort that has an impact on my work: I am convinced that if these gentlemans had not lost before their arrival, this review would not exist.

Reviewed May 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed at le Caggiole for five days in April of this year. The farmhouse is located in a lovely setting with views of Tuscany outside your door. We stayed in the suite which included a kitchen/living room, a spacious bedroom and bath. The food was simply delicious, homemade by Giacomo's mother, Ornella. The hosts are gracious and look after your every need. Giacomo helped plan our daily excursions and helped us find beautiful views not listed in the guide books. We had a problem with our camera and he was able to direct us to an electronic store, which solved our problem. It was a full house when we were there and we were able to sample a homemade dinner that was absolutely delicious. I definitely would recommend le Caggiole.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2010

We stayed at Le Caggiole with another couple in April 2010 for 4 nights. The rooms are big; very clean with a most comfortable bed with beautiful linens. The breakfast every morning was homemade baked goods, yogurt, cereal, juice, coffee and fresh fruit. The hosts (mother and son) were very cordial and accomodating; making suggestions and helping with directions for day trips. The farm and surrounding area is gorgeous. It was our first trip to Tuscany and we couldn't have picked a nicer place to stay. I would suggest you bring your own washcloth and some soap but otherwise it was perfecto!

Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple