“Food, Wine, and Friends”
Review of Poggio Etrusco

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montepulciano
Poggio Etrusco
Reviewed November 25, 2012

- (extremely) prompt response to reservation request. We received detailed directions and information regarding our cooking class and stay.
- very reasonable rate. In addition, we were upgraded without even asking.
- received daily breakfast of coffee with steamed milk, pastries, yogurt, and fresh fruits.
- the Johns are friendly, fun, respectful, and interesting people.
- pasta class was informative, interactive, and relaxed. Perfection is not expected (thank goodness) Pamela has the patience of a saint!
- villa was clean, decorated with beautiful artwork - felt like a home away from home with a warm fireplace.
- surroundings were beautiful - we vacationed at the end of the season (November) - fall folliage was breathtaking.
- We had a delicious meal and enjoyed spending time with the Johns family.
I highly recommend a visit -- we plan on returning.

Room Tip: If you have a question or concern before-hand, just email Pamela. If you have a problem during your...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank T U

Reviewed November 9, 2012

On the numerous previous trips to Tuscany, we always visited the major cities --Florence, Arezzo, Sienna, Pisa. This trip was wonderful in that we spent our time in the smaller villiages around Montepulciano (Pienza, Chianciano, Montalcino, Sinelunga, etc.). Our base was the Poggio Etrusco -- and, what a wonderful it was.

The hosts Pamela and Johnny Johns were like family -- very friendly, accomodating and extremely knowledgeable about the local areas of interest, restaurants and food.

The accomodations were very pleasant, roomy and clean. No TV, but who needs TV when you're on the go or just relaxing with your wife? Wi-fi is available and works outside of your room as 3 foot thick walls don't allow signals to pass through.

The Johns deservedly take great pride in their olive oil and their vineyards. Pamela, is a renowned cookbook author, a wonderful cook and educator and Johnny an accomplished artist . The Johns went out of their way to insure that we felt at home .

We only hope we can reciprocate their hospitality when they visit family in KY.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul C
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We spent 4 nights at Poggio Etrusco (10/11 -16) and had a wonderful experience. The farm Is outside of Montepulciano, down a 2 lane road and onto a small country lane. The apartments are very private and we never felt that we were intruding on Pamela and Johnny nor they on us. In fact, Pamela and Johnnny could not have been more gracious. Pam was conducting a tour for part of our stay so Johnny took over to make sure we had great touring and eating plans each day. The dogs were fabulous.....NO FLEAS!!!! Breakfasts were perfect with good company.

I was taken aback by the comments from the Texas group. I think that you should go into these experiences knowing that you are not going to a hotel....you are in a home! And, you've chosen an agrotourismo BECAUSE it is not a generic hotel.

This was really a very magical setting with rainbows over the countryside each day. I'm really glad that we did not overlap with the sour group from Texas!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank forgap
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Johhny and Pamela were gorgeous. Johhny was so informative about places to go and things to do. The accommodation was so relaxing and family friendly. Say hi to Bella for us. Thank you so much for your patience in answering all our questions. Pisconeri family Waroona Western Australia.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Nanna6215
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I just returned from Poggio Etrusco. We shared a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment with friends. The apartment was dark with minimal lighting, not even enough to read. We told Johnny that a bulb had burnt out in our bedroom and it was never replaced. The kitchen had a rotten food odor coming from under the sink and the kitchen drawers disgustingly dirty. There was no attempt to make the accommodations even minimally charming. The general grounds of the property were unkempt and flea infested. Given that Pamela is a published Italian cookbook author we hoped to experience something better than day old pastries, cartoned yogurt and do it yourself soft boiled eggs for breakfast. In order to use wi-fi we had to be outside. There was no television available. One morning we asked about some sightseeing and she didn't have the time to help us because she had a cooking class coming in. Our last morning while packing up our van we were "scolded" for leaving the gate open because the dogs may have gotten out. All of this for $340.00 per night!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
47  Thank Nancy64houston
Poggio-Etrusco, Owner at Poggio Etrusco, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

We are quite sad about your review on TripAdvisor. It is rare for us to have this kind of reaction. I believe that all of this could have been resolved if you had spoken to us when you were here.

For the sake of future possible guests, I feel I should respond how we might have handled your complaints if you had let us know:

About the WiFi… I just returned from a hotel stay in Milan. I paid 10 Euros a day for WiFi, and it was not a consistent signal. Welcome to life in Italy! At Poggio Etrusco the WiFi is free. Thanks to the lovely 400-year old (very thick) walls, the signal doesn’t reach all of the apartments, but each apartment has a covered terrace that does get a strong and pretty consistent signal. I know you had difficulty connecting due to the incorrect settings on your laptop, but once you worked that out, I saw that you found several HotSpots on the property, even on your own front porch. If you had mentioned that it was an inconvenience, I would have given you a portable repeater that would have increased the signal. There are no TVs in the apartments as all channels are in Italian. However, if you had requested a TV, we have a small portable one we could have hooked up for you.

As for the darkness, the lights are energy-saver bulbs and take a while to warm up. I would've gladly brought you more lamps if you had only said something. I do apologize that we apparently didn't get a light bulb in to replace one that was burned out. Also, I noticed that you kept the wooden shutters closed even in the daylight. That would certainly make the room quite dark.

The guest information booklet has info about where to take your trash, however if you had asked, we could have emptied your trash can under the sink, which was probably what caused the odor. I did check the drawers after I read your review, and will agree that there was disorder. I would have happily organized and sanitized them for you if you had mentioned it to me.

Most agriturismos don't even offer breakfast, and when they do, the typical Italian breakfast is quite simple. We try to offer a variety of primarily organic and seasonal products. Most people are tickled to cook their own farm fresh egg in the little egg cooker. The yogurt we buy is top quality and delicious, and is of course ‘packaged.’ The pastries come from the local pastry shop, fresh every morning, supplemented with my homemade jam tart and/or olive oil cake. Fresh fruit, cereals, bakery bread (Tuscan unsalted bread, which the uninitiated often misunderstand) and American style bread for toast, and my homemade jams. There is good roasted Italian coffee, hot milk, hot water and teas, organic juices (yes, ‘packaged’), and our healthy spring water. If there was something missing from that breakfast, we would have been happy to provide it.

We have no fleas. I know this for a fact as I am highly allergic and make sure the animals are flea-free. We were in the mosquito season when you were here, and offered you citronella candles and repellant as we noticed you spent a lot of time in the garden. As for providing sightseeing info, I was available every afternoon, and offered my help several times. My husband was on hand in the mornings when I was teaching. It may be that you also didn't see the informational books in the room...

I have written to all of the other guests that week (and have heard back from all but one), and they had a completely different experience than yours. All found the property charming inside and out, the breakfasts abundant and fresh, and had great sleep.

As for the price, we haven't changed our prices in 11 years. Euro 65/person/night is what you paid. Above all, I am very sorry that you were so unhappy. We take pride in making our guests feel at home and try to make their stay pleasant and memorable. I wish we could have known the problems at the moment and would have either resolved them, or helped you find another accommodation that would have suited you better.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I spent two weeks in Europe celebrating a milestone birthday (for me). This was our first European adventure so we entrusted the planning to a travel agent. Knowing that we are foodies, she recommended Poggio Etrusco, and we are so grateful for this recommendation. Of the five places we stayed, this was absolutely our favorite. The reviews written before this one do a wonderful job of describing the rustic farm house overlooking a vineyard and olive trees with an organic garden inside the fence and a swimming pool, as well (closed at the time of our visit at the end of September). To our surprise, our large "apartment" had a small kitchen with all we needed to prepare a meal, should we desire to do so (we did--using some herbs and veggies from their garden!). The rooms were comfortable and, again, accommodated every need, and the view from just outside our door was breathtaking. The grounds provided several places to sit and just be, which is what we were looking for on this leg of our trip. What really pulls this whole paradise together, however, is the people. Pamela was away on business until the night before we left, so Johnny single-handedly managed every need, answered every question, provided recommendations for restaurants and areas of interest... and sat and chatted with us throughout our time there. We met their cats and dogs, and chickens and just absolutely fell in love with this place. We were so glad we were able to meet Pamela before we left and have a chance to chat about our next visit... oh yes, we will be back--we need to get in on one of Pamela's cooking classes we've read and heard so much about! We were only there for three nights, but we were sad to leave (and, in retrospect, wish we had stayed there our last two nights in Italy). Pamela, Johnny--thank you so much for a spectacular experience at Poggio Etrusco!

Room Tip: We didn't see the other rooms, but can't imagine they aren't all as fabulous as ours was...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SandyandDave
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights. This B & B agriturismo organic farm is charming with a wonderful breakfast, very comfortable beds.and friendly hosts. Owners Pamela and John are always ready to provide suggestions, recommendations and concierge-like services. Poggio Etrusco is truly a gem.

Room Tip: All the rooms are appealing, and each has their own entrances.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple