“Good Hotel needs some Modernisation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of San Marco Hotel

San Marco Hotel
Ranked #48 of 109 Hotels in Montecatini Terme
Ayrshire
“Good Hotel needs some Modernisation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is the second time I have been at this hotel in the last year.
The hotel is situated in a quiet side street a couple on minutes walk from the park and 5 minutes to the town centre. You couldn't ask for a better location.
Staff are friendly and very helpful. Bedrooms were clean, spacious and tidy. Balcony with 2 chairs and a table. However some parts of the hotel do need modernisation (i.e. locks on the bedroom doors need updating; some of the furniture is dated)
On my next trip to this area I would have no hesitation of staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front are better; view of Montecatini Alto
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KalexK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Let me start, by saying hello . .when you have driven from naples to montecatini the last thing you need are problems ... navigating montecatini terme 's maze like one way streets drove my gps into tilt, but it was well worth the effort to get to the combo of san marco and la pace ..!!!!!Arriving at the san marco where I had booked two nights ,,with only use of the 5 star facilities of grand hotel la pace ,a block away , I was greeted by a professional young lady who told me they were full , then quickly resolved the problem in an instant. now I was to have a room at the same rate at la pace the glorious 5.star, thanking her i arrived in 30 seconds by car .. it was lovely , high celings , ,chandeliers an atmosphere that was calming , caring and professionally driven ... was given a single ..room. with marble laid bathroom and semi balcony impressive .....later at the bar wifi calls ....very sharp bartender .and drinks,i was ready for a good nights sleep .....which I truly got comfortable bed and good AC !!!!..Next day the pool was perfect ....with great service and comfy chaise lounge de-stressed to no end !!!!!! never had time to explore spa .this trip ,I have no doubt. ,a 10 /10 experience to remember and return too cheers ... mr B. Maritato

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BMARITATO
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Family of 5; 5 day stay. The price/quality is excellent: the rooms were clean and comfortable. The personnel was very accommodating, professional and helpful: for example, one of my children and I are sensitive to gluten. We did not notify this to the personnel in advance. However, on the second day, at breakfast, we had a vast array of gluten-free options that the personnel did procure for us: unbelievably nice. The rooms had balcony with table and chairs. The hotel is 10 minutes walk to the train station, which is convenient for day trips to Florence. I will certainly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Fabio R
Brno
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I am a little bit confused of some reviews 'cause this hotel was a suprise for me. For your money you will get a perfect service, clean and cosy rooms and friendly and very helpfull staff. A very different experience from hotel services in bigger cities that are often overpriced and very poor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ragulin
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Before booking this hotel I read some quite negative comments on here, but decided to go for it anyway... and what a good choice! The Hotel was lovely, we asked for a high level room with Balcony and it still exceeded my expectations. The Balcony (front facing) had a wonderful view of the park and Montecatini Alto, the room was very spacious with a good bathroom (really good water pressure). The room had everything you needed and the staff at the hotel were very friendly and eager to help with any questions about the local area/attractions. I really recommend this Hotel. It has a perfect location in Montecatini with easy strolling distance into the main square and the access to the gorgeous park at the end of the road. What put the icing on the cake is that as guests at San Marco you can use the pool at the sister Spa Hotel free of charge (and get a discount on spa treatments there too) Perfect Holiday, thanks San Marco!

Room Tip: 5th floor front facing has wonderful views and is probably quieter than the ground floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Eleanor A
Troon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I have recently stayed in the San Marco (May 2013). I read TripAdvisor before going and was a bit apprehensive. My fears were needless. The hotel was more than decent. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room we had was spacious and clean. The situation of the hotel was convenient for shopping, transport and Montecatini Alto. The breakfast was a typical Continental breakfast. Some fresh fruit would have been welcome. Decor in corridors needs some attention.

We had evening meal at the Grand Hotel 3 minutes walk away. The food was very good and again the staff were friendly and helpful.

We went with a company called 'Mistral'. Special mention Must be given to our holiday guide Christina. She was more than helpful. She organised every step of our itinerary. We had visits to Pisa, Firenze, San Gimingiano, Lucca, Sienna, Montecatini Alto, Rada, Castelina and wine tastings and lunch in a hotel in the Tuscan countryside. These visits all went like clockwork thanks to the hard work Christina must have put in behind the scenes.

All in all a most enjoyable holiday.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annette P
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The reception staff were very friendly and helpful . The rooms were very dated and tired , very flimsy net curtains at the windows , no shower in our first room just an attachment on the tap . I was travelling with my 76yr old mother who struggled getting in and out if the bath. When other people in our group said they had showers with seats , I asked to change rooms . At first I was told there were no rooms ! We changed rooms on the second day of our trip . One of the couples in our group moved rooms 4 times . The bed linen and towels were clean and fresh . Now to the food !! It was absolutely awful . One evening we were served a chicken leg with smash (instant mash potatoe) which wasn't even made to look liked mashed potatoe ! It was just slop !!! Desert that evening was tinned fruit salad (no cream or ice cream) . I didn't see one veg all week ! Just wet awful salad . The food was so bad that 2 of the evenings mum and I couldnt face going down to dinner ! When you've had a long day seeing the fabulous sights of Tuscany it would have been so nice to think we were going to be served a fabulous Italian meal on our return . In my opinion I think the travel company are to blame . The travel company are Mistral Travel in Deeside . Do Not Book With This Company !!!!!

• Stayed September 2012