San Marco Hotel
Metropole Hotel(Montecatini Terme)
Ambasciatori Palace(Montecatini Terme)
Le Fonti(Montecatini Terme)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Francia e Quirinale(Montecatini Terme)
Hotel Biondi(Montecatini Terme)
Hotel Maestoso(Montecatini Terme)
  • Pool
Hotel Montecatini Palace(Montecatini Terme)
Suisse Hotel(Montecatini Terme)
View Hotel
All reviewsmontecatini altola pacequiet sectionbigger citiescontrol the temperaturetrain stationroom was cleanyogurtsister hoteltravel packageboiled eggshome baseminute walknice hotelold worldrecommend this hotelthe main square
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The San Marco Hotel is ideally placed - It is situated in a quiet street next to the park and it’s only a 5 minute walk into the town centre.

To gain access to the hotel you have to walk up approx 10 steps to get to the verandah leading to the main door. The reception area is well presented. Off the reception is the bar with a sitting area and the dining room

There is one lift next to the reception desk - which holds 4 people comfortably (notice in lift says 6) - and an open plan staircase to all floors.

The twin/double rooms are a good size as is the en suite bathroom but I did hear some of the group we were with complain about the size of the single rooms as they were too small. Our bedroom, which was to the front of the hotel, had a balcony which offered a view towards Montecatini Alto.

The bed was comfortable and the bedding changed frequently. Fresh towels were provided in the bathroom every day.

Because we were travelling as part of a package tour meals were provided and were typical of the 3 star hotel market in this area. There was however an ‘a la carte’ menu which was far superior to the meals provided to us. You would have to pay extra for this menu. Saying that the meals we had were good enough and we were offered second helpings for some dishes.
The dining room staff were friendly and were ‘game for a laugh’ with some of the customers.

There are some areas of the hotel which could do with sprucing up a bit (flaking paint on the ceilings, carpets cleaned properly) but overall the hotel was clean and tidy.

I’ve visited Montecatini Terme several times in recent years as it’s a good base for trips to Pisa, Lucca, Florence, etc and I would have no problem with staying at the San Marco hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KalexK
Reviewed September 28, 2012

As previous review stayed at this appalling establishment for 7 nights courtesy of MISTRAL HOLIDAYS, DEESIDE. (remember this name and book with them at your own risk). This company do not allocate your hotel until just before your departure, and this accommodation bears no resemblance to the one in the brochure. Was rated as 3 star, actually is more like 1 star. First impressions good, nice reception area, well appointed. Outdoor seating area. Reception staff very helpful, although check in slightly chaotic. Six storey hotel, one lift, this stops at 5th floor and anyone allocated top floor has 2 further flights of stairs to climb. Lift goes up and down randomly. occupants may press ground floor, but if someone else presses call button on a different floor it will go up and down until no one else can fit it! As previous review there is no fire escape to this hotel.Evacuation instructions inform you not to use the lift but exit via stairs....this would be fine providing there is no fire/smoke on a lower floor.No smoke alarms or sprinklers. This may not be the required standard for Italian hotels but remember that this hotel is being used by a British tour operator putting British guests at risk.
Rooms of very varying quality.Some have balcony,shower and decent furnishings. others are tired and dated. others are apparently quite luxurious. Some members of our party moved rooms three times due to poor rooms. Not all rooms have hairdyers.
On a positive side bedding and bathroom linens spotlessly clean, although furniture very tired and dated. Defective light in room fixed the following day after being reported although electricity went on and off several times. Air conditioning unit pumped out warm air. Room safe locked closed and was then removed completely after being reported. Only one plug in room which was loaded with adaptors to accommodate all room plugs.
Can't add much to previous review re food. I've put better salad in the composter.Waiter service surly at best, positively rude at worst, and they have the cheek to put a basket out for tips!!Award for rudeness has to go to Parrucchiere ( young waiter with semi shaved head) who treated guests with absolute contempt!
Generally this hotel is of dubious star rating, potentially a fire trap, and past its use by date. Local area in noisy as area appears to be used by coach tours with coaches arriving and departing early morning and evening. Photos on this website which show a pool and a spa are not of this hotel, but the 5 star sister hotel next door. Save your money, book a hotel not a disaster zone and above all DO NOT BOOK A HOLIDAY WITH MISTRAL TRAVEL, DEESIDE,UK.

Room Tip: Rooms at front have view of Montecatini Alto
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank tripsrme
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Returned from a weeks holiday with my sister and unfortunately were allocated this hotel by Mistral travel company- the worst experience ever. We were lucky as our room had a lovely shower and a balcony.furniture is ancient. Shame about the plaster hanging down from the ceiling.Very noisy several nights when guests arrived at 2.30am. Reception staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for us.Dining room was noisy as there was a large party of Danish guests in at the same time. The food we were served in the dining room was appalling and one waiter in particular was downright rude. I asked for a pepper mill and got it thrust at me with a surly face.Breakfast was a meagre affair with an allocated croissant and small bread roll. Cereal was like sawdust, Coffee out of a machine served in big jugs was undrinkable and water not hot enough to make tea. Table was not cleared until all guests had gone so if we came down for breakfast at 8.45 we had to search for a croissant and roll among a table of debris but waiters were not interested. Breakfast was from 7.45 - 9am. Ham and cheese were poor quality and cut so thin they deserve a prize. Breakfast same every day.
Evening meals were a disgrace. One night as the main course we were served cold omelette with parsley and instant mash, followed by tinned fruit cocktail! Pasta course tended to be ok. Salad was limp and inedible. I returned turkey and roast potatoes one night as in was stone cold. Waiter scraped the food from my plate on to the serving dishes and took it back to the kitchen to warm it up! Never have I been served soup with the spoon in the soup in the bowl or been told to save my knife from the pasta course to use for the main course. The most serious complaint is the hotel has no fire escape. If there was a fire on a lower floor in the stairwell there would be no means of escape. The hotel marred what apart from this was a lovely holiday in a beautiful area of the country.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank NannyLiverpool
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I just came back from my trip to Italy last weekend and I must say San Marco hotel exceeded my expectations. As soon as my sister and I entered the premise we were warmly greeted by the receptionist (and they all spoke some form of English which was very helpful). They gave us great suggestions of inexpensive places we can eat. We had free complimentary breakfast every morning and had access to the pool which I must say was beautiful. The room was big enough for my sister and I, great balcony view and the room was regularly cleaned (great A/C). Another great thing is that the hotel was not far from all of the attractions, I would say it was like 5 to 10 minutes away. You might be wondering if there were any negatives but to be honest, there were none. I would definitely recommend this hotel to just about anyone.

Room Tip: I don't know about the other rooms but I stayed in room 516 and I had no complaints what's so ever.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com