“Venice Marathon: Perfect place to stay”

Best Western Plus Hotel Bologna
Ranked #6 of 58 Hotels in Mestre
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Even better than last year.
Runner-friendly, they've brought breakfast forward on race day.
Straight across the road from the buses to the Start/shuttle bus to Expo.
Straight across the road from train to Venice Santa Lucia...5 mins.
Train/airport bus tickets available at Reception.
Great in-house bistro, open all hours, and bar, free wifi etc and lovely baths... for post-race recovery and reporting.
Fantastic staff.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank atm2010
Write a ReviewReviews (2,353)

Reviewed October 23, 2011

What a pleasure - huge rooms - with a bath - best hotel of our trip - proper breakfast cater for gluten allergy - helpful staff /- stay here!

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Adelemp
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We stayed at Bologna during our Honey moon trip for 2 nights. It was very convenient for visiting Venice, since hotel has parking lot and it costs 10eur per day so you don't have to think about that and the train station is in front of the Hotel so it takes 10mins to get to the Venice.
Room was huge with great bed and very big bathroom with shower and bath tub.
Food in the restaurant was very delicious ad i can recommend a chocolate cake :)
Service was very helpful and friendly!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Milessy
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Stayed 3 nights at this hotel in October 2011. Easy to get here from Marco Polo airport by shuttle bus, I bought tickets on-line for the bus before leaving home (4.5 euros each) and found the bus stop very easily at the airport. Had to wait about 10mins. for bus and took app. 25mins. into Mestre, stops very near to railway station which is across the road from this hotel. Check in was easy and the room excellent, very clean and comfortable plus a full size hairdryer provided, which pleased my wife! Breakfast was excellent with good choice and service plus proper linen tablecloths and napkins.
Reception staff were charming and very helpful with good tips for travel to and around Venice. Bought train tickets at reception each morning and found trains into Venice were frequently available and quick, about 5 mins journey time. Return jouney easy as well since all trains pass through and stop in Mestre.
Local 'Ali supermarket' (left out of hotel entrance) is very handy for food and drinks to take with you to Venice and much cheaper.
Water buses are easy to find outside railway station in Venice and worth doing one good trip along the Grand Canal. Walking is best way to see Venice and not too difficult to find your way around. St. Mark's square is extremely busy with hundreds of visitors, but streets away from here are much quieter and enjoyable.
We have nothing but praise for this hotel and would certainly use it again. Its' location makes it ideal for visiting Venice.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cymro33
Reviewed October 16, 2011

I chose this hotel due to the great reviews I read on tripadvisor and I was so happy when I arrived.
It was across the station as expected. This was a huge life saver compared to the other hotels we got lost looking for on our European trip.

My husband and I didn't experience Venice as expected, but we both agreed this hotel was perfect for us. The location at night isn't ideal, as we couldn't find anything to eat in Venice and he was starving and he said he only had two choices. He picked up a cold pizza that reminded me of something I made with playdough in grade school. He took a while to get to the room after purchasing this pizza. He told me he was harassed by some scary characters asking him for money and women asking him if he needed a date.
Therefore, I wouldn't recommend late night eating near the station.

As for the inside of the hotel. Its very well organized. The front desk staff was very helpful. There were tables with laptops that are free to use. The internet didn't work in our room.
I was impressed with the size of our room. We had arrived from Amsterdam, London, Paris and Rome so the size of this room was impressive.
It was one of the least expensive hotels on our trip. $99 on hotels.com
The bed was large and comfortable.
There was a separate bathroom. I truly enjoyed my bath. They supply you with this awesome bubble bath that suds up like crazy.
I wish we were staying for two nights but we were done with Venice and wanted to move out of Italy.
The only thing that drove my husband nuts, but we never complained to the front desk, was that when he was watching TV. The TV audio was broadcasting in the bathroom. I found this amusing as I was taking my bath. I can see the speaker in the ceiling. We looked everywhere to see if we could change that but we didn't have any luck finding a switch.
The front desk sells passes, so we bought some off them.

The breakfast was incredible. I went there twice since my husband decided to sleep in.
There was a good selection of food. He wasn't fond of the eggs since he said they were too watery.
I loved the pastries they had available.

I would return to this hotel if I were to ever go back to Venice. It was one of my top favorites hotels that I stayed at in Europe.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mimimoura
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We - a married couple - have been several times in Venice. This time we choose Venice Mestre, because we wanted to stay four nights before a cruise. And it is easier to get to the port of Venice from Mestre than from Venice itself.
The location of the Hotel is excellent just across the street from the railwaystation from where every few minutes one can take the train to Venezia St. Lucia, We took the train to the nearby town of Treviso (return ticket € 5.60.) and spent there a wonderful day. You can also visit from there Padua and Vicenza and Chioggia (we visited those towns from Venezia St. Lucia in the past)
The spacious room and the separate shower and bath gives the tourist the feeling of being at home.
We asked for information how to spend a day in Venice and got the good advice to buy a 12 hour ticket for € 16. We went with the ticket by bus Nr.2 (station a few yards from the Hotel)
to Piazzale Roma in Venezia and took the vaporetto to the Lido and later to Murano and came back again to the Hotel by bus.
Only a minute from the Hotel we bought mineral water at the supermarket Ali and we found also the excellent restaurant Columbus.
The breakfast is for Italian standards very good. What was extraordinary was the quality of the eggs. On the evening before leaving we asked for a transport to the ship (€ 25). Next morning we were taken by a friendly Englishspeaking driver in a big black car to the ship.
We were staying at the Hotel from September 29 until October 3, 2011.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karl P
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Excelent location. Across from the train station, rooms were super clean, breakfast was good.
Convenient choice to make day trips to venice and not have to carry all luggage along with you. Bus stop that took you to Venice would gopass by every 20 min. or you had the option of taking the train to Venice.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family