“Classy fish restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Trattoria Dall'Amelia

Trattoria Dall'Amelia
Ranked #61 of 336 Restaurants in Mestre
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
South London
“Classy fish restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2008

Having got back to the hotel in Mestre, we didn't fancy a trip back into Venice, and the generally poor value for money restaurants. Tom Waits says you can normally pick any two from Good, Fast, and Cheap. If it is good and fast it won't be cheap. If it is Fast and Cheap it won't be good, and if it is Good and Cheap it won't be fast. While this normally applies to cars, it has some similarities with other aspects of life, like restaurants in Venice. While the Dall 'Amelia wasn't particularly cheap it was certainly good. We weren't bothered by the speed which was just fine.
I had Venetian style Cod with Polenta for E20 and it was a revelation. I can't wait to get back home and google the recipe and try it at a dinner party. It was excellent. Mum had the Tenderloin of pork with rosemary, and this too was wonderful. The meat was delicious and had that crispy edge to it and was still slightly red on the inside. Lovely. We had steamed vegetables E8 as a side dish, which included carrots, courgettes, spinach and chicory.
Mum finished off with a fresh berry desert while I finished off the 1\2 litre of house white (E6.50) which was a fine accompaniment to the the fish. We were given a small glass of Curve (sparkling white) which my Mum really enjoyed and I thought was a nice start to the evening. The total bill came to E51 which I thought was good value for money given the surroundings, the spotless windows (mum noticed this) and the overall ambiance.
The only downer for the evening came with a very expensive taxi trip home E13 for just over a miles journey, the meter had started at E5, finished at about E9 and then had another E4 added for some reason. I was just glad to be back at the hotel, as the walk t there (yes we walked there which shows how short the journey home was) wasn't a pleasant one past an industrial estate. I forgot to ask for a receipt so will have to write this taxi trip off to experience, and so far our only bad one.
But if you're in the area, and want to go somewhere classy, try the dall'amelia.

3 Thank Kiwi_Colin