Hotel Bellavista
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hotel Garni Corona(Menaggio)(Great Value!)
$990
  • Breakfast included
Hotel du Lac(Menaggio)(Great Value!)
$150
$88
$80
Hotel Garden(Menaggio)
$122
Alberghetto La Marianna(Cadenabbia di Griante)(Great Value!)
$116
Hotel Royal(Menaggio)
  • Restaurant
All reviewslake comobreadlakeside roomdining roomcroissantshalf board basiscontinental breakfastbooked this hotelthird floorstreet viewrecommend hotelthree starextra costtea or coffeepool area ispastafantastic location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 28, 2013

What a mixed bag this hotel is. Great facilities eg swimming pool and lounge, excellent restaurant outlook across the lake, great location in a great resort, very good food. However. The owners come across as rude, when you get to know them better they are not so bad just have awful people skills, they also tend to give preference to people using the restaurant from the street rather than their guests. Now the really bad bit. On arrival we were given room 305. It was absolutely dreadful. It stank of stagnant water (from the leaky shower tray) which they fully knew about as it had been like it for a long time and they even tried to disguise it with air fresheners. The room has no air con. It was hot so we had to leave the large exterior door open, as a result we could not sleep due to street traffic noise even though we faced away over the lake. The room is too small, only suitable for a single, it is badly furnished with the wardrobe looking as it would collapse in the middle, decoration is dull and miserable mainly in "wood" brown. The bathroom was small with no outside window. It appears that as we arrived late in the day we were dumped here as someone earlier had complained and so were given our room. We sufferred this for three days until another room became available, it took a little tussle with the owner to make the change but worth it as the replacement room was really quite good. We were there one week during which three new arrivals were dumped in this room, all complained and were moved. Lovely hotel in a lovely resort spoilt by a dreadful room.

Steve M

Room Tip: I have shown the room as terrible to relate to my comments on room 305. The replacement was fine. Opt for lake view either with or without a balcony (balconies cost extra) to reduce street noise.
2  Thank Steve M
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I would not recommend this hotel if you expect a smiling and friendly reception on check in, because you've come to the wrong place. Or even if you want a smile at all during your stay from the owners, they look at you as if you just crawled out from under a stone, lovely........not!
I would suggest you pay a little bit more and go stay somewhere else!!
We are a couple in our forties and stayed four nights, we booked it direct. I'm now going to give you my opinion about the hotel its good and bad points.

GOOD

Great location on the lake and in Menaggio ( a short stroll from the square with restaurants etc)
Good pool on the lake with great views.
Bar and waitressing staff polite and not rude.
Clean rooms
Good tasty food in restaurant
If you like wine, then good variety and stock.

BAD

Absolutely appalling owners, downright miserable and rude
Take your own hairdryer (ours was rubbish only cold air expelled)
Bed hard
Pillows like rocks
Breakfast was limited, if you weren't early then you've had it! no yoghurt for you!
Sun Parasols (3 working), all others were broken! So take a hat.
No Vodka?

3rd Night.
We had an incident one night, were by accident we left our room card in the slot in the room, obviously not on PURPOSE! We arrived back at around 10.30pm and realised our mistake and mentioned it to the male owner. OOOOH my word !! Hands went up in the air!! Eyebrows couldn't of got any higher! He gave me a card to access the room where I found the card and gave him back the temporary as I came through reception he was gesturing to my other half sitting a table on the terrace and was swearing clearly and we understood it! It was appalling.

In general the hotel is tired looking but has a great location, when its sold or has different staff we might go back, but not before. Please don't put yourself through it!!

Room Tip: Room 101 and 102 have two huge terraces and are the best rooms in the hotel that look over the lake.
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and I went there for a 2 nights stay last October.
We choose this hotel online and booked because of the beautiful and stunning view and frankly ignored the very unflattering reviews on the website written about by guests who were staying there.
We arrived around 19:30 to the hotel reception of the "welcome" of the receptionist was impatient &rude – we disturbed him watching the TV's…
After putting our staff in the room we went to the hotel restaurant that had a poor but costly menu.
Room was clean but the bed mattress was very stiff and was impossible to sleep on.
My wife could not sleep on the hard mattress and she found in the closet a broken folding children bed and took out the mattress of this bed and slept on the floor (we said romantic place????)…
in the morning we have been accused by the hotel management of using the folding bed and breaking it… In short it was really humiliating and embarrassing.
At list they had the decency to apologies after they checked & understood that this folding bed was already broken.
Since we paid in advance for two nights (the most serious mistake) we stayed the second night.
In retrospect I think we made a mistake not to giving-up the money the and just went right away to a more convenient and more welcoming hotel.
This hotel is running for a second generation by a family that should have better chosen a different profession such as book-keeping or maybe even should considering to join the local police forces and sale this beautiful sites to a more welcoming kind and friendly people.
To summarize my insights: guys, you are going to holiday in the most beautiful and romantic sites in the world don't make a nightmare from it.
Just don't go there!

Room Tip: Just don't go there!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a week's holiday at this Hotel. Location splendid and food as expected for a 3* hotel. We were blessed with lovely weather and had upgraded to a lakeside/balcony room although this was obviously a room which was awaiting refurbishment. However, as we were "package tour" clients we were very obviously treated as second class citizens. We were given tables (adjoining another couple's table) on arrival and no way would we be allowed on the outer terrace which was reserved for independent travellers or customers arriving for just a meal.
The female owner was not there on our arrival but after a couple of days she arrived like the Queen of Sheba and the atmosphere changed. She was very rude, blatantly ignoring all package tour clients and had no qualms about admonishing members of staff in front of everyone creating a very uncomfortable ambience.
Over the weekend when the front terrace was busy all dining room staff had to wait on the terrace tables and we were just "abandoned" for a couple of nights with regard to service.
This is all such a shame as the Hotel could be so nice but unfortunately, whilst she is still there, we will not return :-(

Room Tip: choose a lakeside room with a balcony - stunning views and quieter (apart from the builders next door!)
2  Thank Ann N
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I have just returned from traveling Italy mainly on my own. (June 2013) In my travels I rely a lot on reviews of other travelers but have learned to take them with a grain of salt as peoples expectations vary. I'm not a tremendously picky person but I enjoy luxuries and firm needs when it comes to hotel rooms...cleanliness being the main thing. I very much recommend Hotel Bellavista. The hotel is very conveniently located just an easy few minutes walk from the Ferry dock on Menaggio. You'll want to ditch your car (if you have one) and just take the ferries to visit the various lakefront villages, very easy to use but if you have a car there is parking nearby. I booked last minute so no lake view rooms were left but I still had a lovely view (see photo) the room was immaculate, very comfortable, the bathroom spacious and newly renovated. There was free wifi, and a flat screen tv, the linens were fresh and clean and the bed comfortable. I found the breakfast to be very nice with a good selection of meats, croissants, juice, cereals, fruits and yogurts and a beautiful lakefront view. The staff at the front desk weren't overly friendly but absolutely pleasant and helpful. No big deal to me I'm going on holiday to relax not make best friends with the person at the front desk. The manageress was able to provide me with everything I needed and that was fine. Aside from breakfasts I had one meal at the hotel restaurant and again the views are outstanding. My dinner however was not very good I had the peppercorn filet and found the meat to be poor quality and fatty and the potatoes seemed of the powdered variety so I don't recommend eating there. Again no big deal as there are a number of restaurants a few moments walk away. All in all for the price the location and the amenities I absolutely recommend Hotel Bella Vista.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo