“Lovely location but rude "lady" owner”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Bellavista

Hotel Bellavista
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Menaggio
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Lovely location but rude "lady" owner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a week's holiday at this Hotel. Location splendid and food as expected for a 3* hotel. We were blessed with lovely weather and had upgraded to a lakeside/balcony room although this was obviously a room which was awaiting refurbishment. However, as we were "package tour" clients we were very obviously treated as second class citizens. We were given tables (adjoining another couple's table) on arrival and no way would we be allowed on the outer terrace which was reserved for independent travellers or customers arriving for just a meal.
The female owner was not there on our arrival but after a couple of days she arrived like the Queen of Sheba and the atmosphere changed. She was very rude, blatantly ignoring all package tour clients and had no qualms about admonishing members of staff in front of everyone creating a very uncomfortable ambience.
Over the weekend when the front terrace was busy all dining room staff had to wait on the terrace tables and we were just "abandoned" for a couple of nights with regard to service.
This is all such a shame as the Hotel could be so nice but unfortunately, whilst she is still there, we will not return :-(

Room Tip: choose a lakeside room with a balcony - stunning views and quieter (apart from the builders next doo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lizieann

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Greek first
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

I have just returned from traveling Italy mainly on my own. (June 2013) In my travels I rely a lot on reviews of other travelers but have learned to take them with a grain of salt as peoples expectations vary. I'm not a tremendously picky person but I enjoy luxuries and firm needs when it comes to hotel rooms...cleanliness being the main thing. I very much recommend Hotel Bellavista. The hotel is very conveniently located just an easy few minutes walk from the Ferry dock on Menaggio. You'll want to ditch your car (if you have one) and just take the ferries to visit the various lakefront villages, very easy to use but if you have a car there is parking nearby. I booked last minute so no lake view rooms were left but I still had a lovely view (see photo) the room was immaculate, very comfortable, the bathroom spacious and newly renovated. There was free wifi, and a flat screen tv, the linens were fresh and clean and the bed comfortable. I found the breakfast to be very nice with a good selection of meats, croissants, juice, cereals, fruits and yogurts and a beautiful lakefront view. The staff at the front desk weren't overly friendly but absolutely pleasant and helpful. No big deal to me I'm going on holiday to relax not make best friends with the person at the front desk. The manageress was able to provide me with everything I needed and that was fine. Aside from breakfasts I had one meal at the hotel restaurant and again the views are outstanding. My dinner however was not very good I had the peppercorn filet and found the meat to be poor quality and fatty and the potatoes seemed of the powdered variety so I don't recommend eating there. Again no big deal as there are a number of restaurants a few moments walk away. All in all for the price the location and the amenities I absolutely recommend Hotel Bella Vista.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank SpaghettiCP
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Service for me is very important and I think that's what they need to improve on. Front Office & F&B did not reach our expectations of Italian Hospitality. The staff didn't seem so happy with what they're doing.

Location is great. Our room was overlooking lake como which was gorgeous! At night and in the morning. .

Breakfast? Another aspect they should work on! I remembered just having yogurt and some fruits. Ending my trip in italy this way was not how i was expecting it to be. They can do better.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bunnchen
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

This was our second visit to the Bellavista Hotel, both times for two weeks, our first visit was in September 2012, we enjoyed the Holiday so much we again booked it For May this year, returning home on the 29th May.
Everything was as we enjoyed on our first visit, management and all people who worked at Hotel could not have been any more accomodating and friendly.
The Hotel is situated right on the Lake with the most scenic views of the Mountains, ferry Boats plying their buisness and of course the Ducks and Swans.
Waking up to this in the Morning just sets you up for the Day.

Room Tip: A Lakeview room is a must.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We've just returned from a 5 night stay at Hotel Bellavista in Menaggio. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the hotel. There were no lake rooms left when we booked so we had a room facing out onto the street. The room itself was nice- a bit small but very comfy- the bathroom was recently refurbished and was very modern. We werent too disappointed about not having a sea view as we were hardly in the bedrooms at all. Most of the time anyway you're out and about viewing the lake! Breakfast was standard continental fare- cereal, breads etc. We ate in the restautant on our last night and it was fine. It was actually really nice to have dinner on our last night directly on the lake. There are some nice restaurants in Menaggio as well. Menaggio itself is one of the quieter towns on the lake but is still beautiful. The staff were friendly and one of the girls in particular on reception was very helpful to it. All in all I would recommend Hotel Bellavista and if we were ever going back to Menaggio I would stay there -and upgrade to a sea view!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Missimo
Cebu City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Loved this hotel - vintage building with modern decor and furnishings inside. They even had a heated towel rack and a bidet in the bathroom - details which made this hotel more "value for money." We had a beautiful panoramic lakeview room and I could even hear the waves lapping when I left the balcony window/door partly open at night time.
The Bellavista was walking distance from the ferry dock and a small supermarket on one side and to the shops and restaurants on the other side. And, if you're arriving by bus, the stop is right outside the hotel entrance - very convenient!
Nicole and and another your lady (sorry forgot her name) were always very helpful with info on where to go, what to do and how to get there. Nicole was especially helpful with adjustments on our room bookings.
The gentleman who was at the reception with Nicole when we arrived was very accomodating, especially since we arrived with 2 kids who were not originally booked with us. He promptly offered us a very spacious room which was quickly set-up with a double-decker bunk bed, to the delight of the kids=)

Room Tip: Pick a room with a panoramic lakeview - you won't regret it!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Mamma not to be messed with, but all the staff have been there for years, and will look after you very well.
Treat the staff with respect and they are very friendly.
The best location you could wish for.
Look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: you must get a lake view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 1loyalcustomer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Menaggio
Hotel Garni Corona
#2 of 10 in Menaggio
Hotel La Perla
Hotel La Perla
#1 of 8 in Tremezzina

Been to Hotel Bellavista? Share your experiences!