“Mostly great”

Punta Campanella Resort & Spa
Ranked #29 of 47 Hotels in Massa Lubrense
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed here on half board. The dinner menu was very good and food well presented and tasty with fabulous waiting staff. Hotel staff were all good. Room was comfortable except for the air conditioning being turned off during the night so it got very warm. Opening the doors isn't a good option because there are midges and mosquitos that like to come in the rooms and are hard to get out. It would be really good if the hotel supplied towels for the beach because otherwise you have to buy them from a shop.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 1, 2014

I was stranded in this dump for one week as I had prepaid the bill.
The hotel manager was rude and not friendly. And wanted to charge me for everything including $50.00 an hour for using the hot tub. Paper cups in the room no glasses,I asked for wine glasses and the manger refused. The hotel is not on the beach and it costs $25.00 to get two beach chairs and an umbrella. The hotel will not give you towels for the beach. Internet is terrible and the bathroom smells of sewerage. It takes two hours of mountain road driving to get to Sorrento where the shopping and restaurants are.
Would not go back there for FREE!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
11  Thank Henryc9182004
Alessandro_SalesDPT, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Punta Campanella Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Hell is a place you go to when you have been a bad person when you have died. Our beautiful hotel is situated alongside the beach on the Amalfi Coast. We have 52 rooms with ensuite facilities, a spa with pool, restaurant with a bar and lounge area. The place you described does not have these facilities. I feel that the term you have used is not justified or neither correct.!!!

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Just returned from a ten day stay at Punta Campenella Resort Hotel, on arrival was a bit surprised at the distance from Sorrento but after a day spent in Sorrento this tuned out to be the biggest advantage. We had a lovely 10 days in this hotel, the staff were really friendly especially the young girl on reception I think she is a sister of the owner, she had a pleasant greeting and was very helpful at all times, the night Manager was also extremely pleasant and helpful with a great sense of humour. Our room was to the back it was a little bit dark but was a nice room, we did enquire about changing for a sea view but it would have been€35 a night extra, we used the beautiful roof terrace instead in the evening. We had breakfast in hotel which was fine cereals, fruit, eggs, bacon, breads and cakes. We only had dinner on the last night, the restaurant manager went to a lot of trouble and even cooked jacket potatoes for us,the meal was lovely, the hotel however didn't always have the menu in English. The beach across the road is just perfect and we were able to hire two sun beds and shade for €10 a day because we were residents of hotel. We took the boat to Capri from the jetty and had a wonderful day with a super guide who made sure we got to see all the sites. The local bus stops in front of hotel and we used it to travel into Sorrento, the only problem is the last bus back from Sorrento leaves at 6pm so if you want to spend an evening there it would cost €80 back in a taxi, the bus is €2.20. The bus stops at train station in Sorrento and we took the train from here to Pompeii, a wonderful place to visit. The local restaurants had a good choice some a little expensive I would check the menu prices before taking a seat. The bar on the beach serves snacks and delicious ice cream and is run by lovely girl called Monica we spent many a good night here. I would recommend this hotel and area for a lovely relaxing holiday.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jackie G
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I visit Italy ever year with my family as it is beautiful country which we have fallen in love. It has given us so many fantastic memories however I wish I could forget my time at Punta Campanella, it was a truly awful experience on so many levels.

Firstly at every opportunity additional costs are added as they try to fleece you out of all your holiday money. 20 Euros a day to park your car, a bar with rip-off prices, costs to use the swimming pool (which is grubby), additional taxes and a bill on your departure that has multiple items you never ordered/received – oh the joy of staying at the Punta Campanella!! This is where I guess the staff bonuses must come from, but it leaves a very sour taste in my mouth. The only reason I picked up on the creative billing was because the couple checking out before us were arguing about the bill, so I double checked ours and it was double what it should have been– can’t believe they think they can get away with it. Looking back at previous comments now on trip advisor, this doesn’t seem to be a new practice on their behalf.

Furthermore, one thing that makes Italy so special is the service we receive everywhere we go, always professional, smiling and keen to please, I love the Italians they are wonderful hosts. The service industry is a true career and the quality reflects that everywhere you go. However this is not the case at Punta Campanella where waiter/waitresses were always rude during service, the wine waiter was a horrible aggressive man who disliked me asking for a price list (who smirked at my wife and laughed as if to imply my lack of wealth) and a young inexperienced manager that is obnoxious and blasé when I raised any issues, and trust me there were many.

Other issues which are not as serious but all add up to a poorly run hotel include very noisy air con, dirty rooms (my daughter spotted a cockroach in the bathroom), doors that don’t lock properly, safe didn’t work, lights no working, awful breakfast and the lack of basics i.e. no iron or ironing board (they can iron for you but at a cost – see earlier comment!),

It is a real shame because Marina del Cantone is a lovely bay, and our time spent outside the hotel was great – the drive along the Amalfi coast is incredible, it was just we all dreaded coming back to the hotel each evening.

My family go on holiday once a year, and the staff at the hotel did there best to ruin it for me a my family- thanks for nothing!!!

16  Thank Peter_TBM
Alessandro_SalesDPT, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Punta Campanella Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

We are very upset and disappointed with your views. We try everything possible to make sure everyone is happy with their stay in our hotel. During the summer, we have around 120 persons stay here every week and nobody has made such accusations, which are indeed not true, hurtful and are written without substance or proof. Whilst you were staying at the hotel, we did have a conversation and I believe this is the reason why you have written such a comment, which is without foundation. Should you wish to communicate with me further please contact me at info@puntacampanellaresort.it and I will be pleased to answer all the issues you have raised

Reviewed June 1, 2014

We had a very relaxing time at this Hotel, we stayed in a junior suite (204) on a B & B basis which had plenty of room for us and our two boys. The balcony had recliners and a table set and was well used by us. The WiFi was reliable if a little slow. The breakfast was enjoyable. The aircon was a little noisy and we alternated between using it and keeping the windows open. We had a few problems with the room but these were sorted as soon as we reported them. The reception staff were helpful. The resort was ideal for a relaxing family holiday and we found plenty of great family restaurants for pizza and pasta. The swimming was great bring a snorkel and mask, however we were stung by jellyfish on a couple of occasions. We found the beds and umbrella hire expensive if you weren't going to stay the whole day on the beach.

1  Thank Comfy70
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Having taken my firm booking for 7 days bed and breakfast and my substantial deposit weeks in advance, the hotel announced a few days before I went that unless I paid the full cost of the stay in advance and upgraded to half board they would relet the rooms to others. For that reason alone I must warn against using this hotel.
Apart from that, the hotel is pleasant, quite adequate rooms, not luxurious but pleasant, clean and well kept, many with nice balconies overlooking beautiful sea views. It is situated in a small village with a number of very good reasonably priced bars and restaurants in easy walking distance. The staff were friendly and helpful. Prices generally were reasonable. The large restaurant has very good sea views and tables both inside and outside. On one very busy evening the service was erratic due to there being too few staff. The food was generally good, fresh, local produce, well cooked, attractively served, fish predominating. There were some problems with the orders, we did not all always get what we ordered and some dishes were barely warm when they arrived.
The breakfast selection is very limited, and heavy geared to the German market, mainly cheese, cold meats and sweet cakes. The bakery items, rolls, croissants etc were not fresh and were unappetising. Coffee was tepid. At the end of our stay we discovered that fresh toast was available on demand but this was not advertised.
The general area is very attractive, rocky cliffs, small villages, views to Vesuvius but remote and hard to get around, the roads are very narrow and winding, even in May the whole area was crowded and driving is hard and stressful work. There is some public transport but it is limited, The hotel offered little in the way of trips and excursions but was good at getting taxis and minibuses when asked. Parking in the village is very limited and expensive, the hotel will provide for €20 a day, the going rate. The beaches are small and stony, water crystal clear but when we were there in May jellyfish much in evidence.

4  Thank Stephen T
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Watch what they do with your credit card they left a pre- auth of $653 on my card that was tied up until I returned home and filed a complaint. Mold in bathrooms. No air in the rooms. Wifi hit or miss in reception area after I learned they gave us a wrong access location to sign on. No cell service at all in the area. Terrace not set up at all. Fitness equipment in the picture had to be photo shopped. There were three pieces of rusted equipment under plastic covers. Not near anything to do. Cost us $240 for a cab to Sorrento for something to do

• Stayed: May 2014
6  Thank caracad
Alessandro_SalesDPT, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Punta Campanella Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear Sir/Madame, at Check-in we make a pre-authorization of the total booking.
And payment at check-out.
If paying with a different credit card we unlock to check out the amount of the reservation. Nothing so strange!.
Our fitness area, is only open in the summer, becouse is outside sea view terrace.
You've never been able to see the machines for fitness because they are in our deposit
The taxi if you asked at reception costs about € 80 and not $ 240 as you said.
The WI-FI is working perfectly throughout the property, and each area has its own repeater.

Thank you and best regards.