“Beautiful view but........”

Hotel & Spa Francischiello Bellavista
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in Massa Lubrense
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The address we had for this hotel showed Sorrento but it is actually in Massa Labrense. We were surprised to find it 10km or so from town. There is free parking and the bus stop is in front of the property. I believe all rooms face the sea with a view of Capri. Ours had a balcony and even though we were on the first floor did not have an issue with the traffic or noise. The rooms were clean and comforatable. The internet was at times spotty but servicable. The hotel sells bus tickets and you would best buy there or from the bus depot in Sorrento. The stand in the train station sold us bus tickets at twice the hotel and when asking at the hotel was told they were tourist prices! Alexander at the hotel was helpful as he could be. The restaurant serves an adequate breakfast and the service was good. We ate in the hotel a couple of nights and enjoyed the meal quality, service and varied menu. The only issue was a lack of wine by the glass! Their response was to bring a bottle and then charge for what was consumed. No problem just inconvenient as far as I was concerned. All in all a good place to spend a few days relaxing.

Room Tip: Higher is better
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 5, 2012

It was my first time to Italy and was on the mend from an illness, so I needed to take a couple days to re-coup before meeting up with one of my friends for the walking holiday of a lifetime. I searched around for a good deal on a place in/near Sorrento that had everything I needed (spa/pool/restaurant/wifi) to just kick back and stay put, but still experience Italia. I can honestly say I have absolutely zero regrets on my choice. From the warm welcome, family type of atmosphere to the hand painted tiles, brilliant views, clean pool, dry sauna and spa, on the ready massage therapist (Grazie Maria) to the meals cooked and served with love and great attention. If you want to wander, there's a bus that stops right out front and within ten minutes you're in the middle of the hubbub of Sorrento and just below that is the boat launch to Naples and Capri (my next stop). Oh, and take note, this is one of the few hotels we stayed in that had a l'ascensore (elevator) which after schlepping up and down three flights at the rest of the hotels and around the towns it is a sight for sore eyes/feet. Know before you go that in most of the places we stayed on the Amalfi coast, English wasn't fluently spoken by the staff and I did a lame job of learning Italian which made for some comedic moments. I wish I'd learned more and carried a little pocket translator with me. Was the place perfect? Well, no. When I arrived the Jacuzzi was dry and then next day it was full, but cold. The internet stopped working for me after the first few hours, but he fixed it when I brought my ipad to him straight away the next morning. If you're looking for precision timing then you picked the wrong destination/country to visit. This is Italy. This is where you go to savor life, brilliant food/wine and decompress. Let the little stuff roll off your shoulders, do your best to speak the language, go for the recommended dishes/wines and you will have an amazing time.
In all, we stayed in five hotels on our holiday and this one by far had the best breakfast spread. Most places offered just coffee, juices and pastries, but the Bella Vista had hard boiled eggs, cereal, meats, cheeses and even some vegetable mixes that I wasn't familiar with, but they were beautiful. I tried to take pictures of the food at my table, but Joseph gently reminded me that it was time to set aside technology and enjoy/experience the meal and he was so right. OMG I love Italy. I can't wait to go back~

Room Tip: Pay more for the ocean view room if you plan to stay in. Otherwise, there are two large terraces on...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Arranging a last minute trip to the Amalfi Coast in September turned out to be not such a great idea as most of the hotels we wanted to stay in were fully booked. The Francischiello had a room available and we stayed for 5 nights.
On the plus side, the view from our room was lovely; the staff generally very helpful (although we would have appreciated some help with our baggage when we arrived - the man at reception watched me as I went back and forth to the car carrying bags); the food in the restaurant was excellent and everywhere was clean. The family clearly take a pride in the hotel. On the down side, the hotel is right on the main road in to Sorrento so although every room has a balcony it is hideously noisy to sit outside (not noisy in the room when the windows are closed); there is no bar - the lounge area to the side of reception does have comfortable seating and you can ask for a drink, but there is absolutely no atmosphere - it reminded me of sitting in a residential home; the decor is very old fashioned - avocado bathroom suites etc and we thought that breakfast was poor quality which was surprising bearing in mind the restaurant food (puddings from last night's dessert trolley looked so unappetising!).
Taking the bus in to Sorrento is easy but it would have helped to know that the road where you are dropped off on arrival in Sorrento becomes pedestrianised in the evening - we went back to get the bus and then spent 15 minutes trying to find where the alternative bus stop was! This was compounded by the fact that the winter timetable had come into effect so the last bus was at 10 p.m (or similar) - we had to get a taxi back and were charged Euros 40!
A good trip but we would have preferred to have been in Sorrento itself.

Room Tip: Maybe it would be less noisy if you have a room on one of the top floors.
Reviewed September 18, 2012

from many rooms.
I like this hotel- comfortable, unassuming,- we stayed for 4 nights and felt at home.
Our room was recently decorated, and whilst there are a few older parts of the hotel which need a repaint, the place is kept clean.
Good airconditioning but noisy. Well kept bathroom.
Parking is free and outside the hotel.
Wifi connection is variable.
The restaurant is inviting and the staff helpful.
We ate 'in' most nights because the menu had a good selection of meals at reasonable prices.
The pool area could do with modernisation, but it is a special spot on the 3rd floor and with a view of the sea and Capri. There is also an indoor, large spa pool, which we used on our one rainy day.
definitely recommend this hotel for relaxation and comfort.
A 10 minute drive to Sorrento by car, but there are buses to Sorrento and Amalfi which stop outside the hotel.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed in a triple classic room, this was beautifully decorated, very clean, they changed out towels daily they smelt so fresh and clean! the room had a nice small balcony with beatiful views of the sea and capri, a great spot to sit and watch the sun go down, the room was better than expected. The food in the restaurant was the best that we had eaten whilst in Sorrento, the pasta dishes were the best I have ever tasted, all ingredients were so fresh and everything was homemade, fantastic value for money! The spa area was lovely and relaxing, and the pool area was relaxing with amazing views, however they could make more of the area! Staff were always friendly and welcoming. The hotel is surrounded by lovely countryside and is a great area for relaxation, one thing we were slightly worried about was the buses, however during our 4 days staying at the hotel we had absolutely no issue with the bus service into Sorrento or massa lubrense, the bus stop is directly outside the hotel and the buses run from very early in the morning until around 12 or 1am so we were suprised as to why people were complaining about the buses as they were also very regular and only cost €2.40 for a return, much cheaper than the €30 euros quoted for a 10 minute drive into the centre of sorrento.There were only a couple of negatives such as the beds not being very comfortable but overall the experience was very good and excellent value for money.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The hotel is located about 10 mins from Sorrento. There is a regular & cheap bus (buy tickets in reception) or by car (way too far/dangerous windy road to walk into Sorrento). We stayed in a standard room on the 2nd floor which had fabulous views out over Capri. Lovely balcony to sit on to watch the sunsets. Looks as if there are renovations going on - our room was lovely VERY clean only slight disappointment was the shower pressure and the air conditioning unit was noisy so couldnt really leave it on overnight but apart from that we were very comfortable. We ate in the restaurant on the first night and one other time during our stay we were made to feel very welcome by all the staff but especially Joseph and Salvatore! the food was wonderful lot of choice fresh and tasty! and dont miss breakfast either they lay on a super spread and Nonna - the family matriarch is always hard at work ensuring everything is spick and span! Our only recommendation would be for the hotel to provide some written information about the hotel its facilities etc in the room especially about the spa - usually I am the first to be booking but it looked deserted and felt awkward asking about what was available. That said if you ask any of the staff on reception they are friendly and will always try to help. They have a wonderful special event space too both indoor and outdoor which anyone looking for a wedding venue would be delighted with I'm sure! Highly recommend you try this hotel out and stay away from the tourist choked (but still very pretty and great to pop to in the evening) Sorrento! We hired a car from Europcar in Sorrento which was very reasonable and after much debate about perhaps hiring a classic car....dont! you dont get out of second/third gear much and some of the tight spaces and other less reserved Italian drives dont bat an eye lid if they knock or scrape another car! also take out FULL insurance the extra 20 or so euros per day just gives peace of mind! We also used Sorrento Cars owned by Ugo to transfer us from airport and back - very efficient and good price E70 each way.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Away from the crowd of Sorrento this is a cute little hotel with very pleasant staff. The hotel is very old, could do with a scrub here and there but mainly it is ok. The sea view is impeccable and the balconies are spacious... you can also take food and drinks up to your rooms so enjoying the balcony becomes even more pleasant.

One weird thing was the ants that emerged from out of nowhere in our room. They came out in the morning, hung about all day then vanished at night... Cleaning services could be a bit better, the hairs that kept popping up in the bathroom were a bit annoying.

The restaurant is humble but very good. We arrived very late and had dinner at the hotel & it was pretty good. Breakfast was also tasteful and tasty.

The pool: I think it was not good at all but having seen the other reviews, I suppose ı don't have a normal understanding of pools!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Hotel Aminta
Grand Hotel Aminta
#25 of 100 in Sorrento
Best Western Hotel La Solara Sorrento

Been to Hotel & Spa Francischiello Bellavista? Share your experiences!