“Superb food and fabulous location ...”

Restaurant Il Cantuccio
Ranked #48 of 106 Restaurants in Massa Lubrense
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Having chartered a speed boat trip around Capri during our holiday we were advised that we should stop for lunch at Il Cantuccio and I am glad we did. As one of the other reviewers mentioned we moored up offshore in our boat and the restaurant's row boat picked us up and deposited us in the restaurant which extends into the sea.
The interior is just a raised covered terrace effectively but the view and atmosphere is fabulous! The restaurant was packed with Italians which is always positive and the staff are friendly. Oysters and antipasti were so fresh and delicious and for mains we had grilled red snapper which was also excellent. With local Campania white wine and dessert and coffee the bill for 3 came to 170 euro which I think is good value for the amount and quality etc
I have a feeling some of the other reviewers are confusing this place with other establishments as Il Cantuciio is a popular restaurant name - especially the burnt pizza review!
I cannot think of a better lunch that I have had previously!

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Us 4 (2 couples) went because our Captain Antonello, with Amalfi Sails that we had hired with a private boat tour that day, recommended it. He drove us up into the small Nerano Bay and a very small boat loaded us in and took us right up to the little restaurant dock. Honestly we were not hungry because we had just had a "snack" in Capri about an hour before (mind you, a "snack" in Italy is a pizza, bread, salad, etc. or what we would in the States call "lunch"). However, we thought we should try it anyway. Besides my BF was a little sea sick from the rather choppy ride up and down the coast at this point and was certainly NOT interested in eating, but did want to get on steady land for a while. The restaurant was PACKED with Italian families eating their Sunday afternoon dinner (this was around 2pm), which is typical. I think we may have been the only English speakers in the place, which was a good sign. The waitress really pushed an "antipasti" platter on us which at first we refused (she wanted us to order 2!), but after seeing what looked like fried dough and rice balls we ordered the antipasti thinking that's what it was. It wasn't. What she brought us was a selection of mozzarella, roasted peppers/eggplant/tomatoes, tuna, and sardines. My BF wasn't feeling well enough to eat anything but bread and our other friend does not eat anything remotely exotic, so it was up to me and one other person in our party to dig in. It...Was...DELICIOUS! The sardines, which I would have normally never thought I’d like since I don’t like anchovies, were so good and fresh with a fantastic flavor. The roasted veggies were good, too and we pretty much finished it all off. The miscellaneous fried balls we saw and thought we were ordering didn’t come with, so we asked again and finally did get some. Okay, they were even BETTER! The dough and rice was very fresh, soft, and so well made. This is all basic Italian food, mind you, and doesn’t take a lot of effort to make, which is why it’s still so baffling to me that we cannot get this kind of pure goodness in the US (and we’re in the NYC area, mind you!). We only ordered 2 plates of Gnocchi, but ended up with 3 (again, there was a definite language barrier we were working with here), but it was some of the best, most simple gnocchi I’ve ever had and nearly ate until I was sick. We did also order the fresh calamari (they have 2 options: frozen and fresh at a slightly higher price) which wasn’t good. I’ve had much better calamari in like a Chili’s restaurant or something, so this was a miss for us. Didn’t even eat half of it.

There were a few downsides to this meal: It was quite hot and stuffy in this place which is an open-air restaurant right on the water. There was no breeze at this time and I think only maybe 1-2 ceiling fans, but on the other side of the restaurant. They need to put in more fans. It was very loud and crowded at the time we went, which is to be expected, because all Italian families eat Sunday dinner in the mid-afternoon, so service was spotty and slow, but we knew this so it wasn’t too concerning. The last thing, which is not completely the fault of the restaurant was a lady at a nearby table (with, like 15 Italians in a single family all eating together) had some kind of medical problem, which could have been a heart attack, but more likely she just got overheated – we were not sure what was wrong. The EMS, or whatever they are called in Italy, came and basically all they did was fan her off, get her water, and take her to the bathroom. It was a scene for sure with the family members all crowded around her crying, yelling, fanning her off to no avail. I do think that she could have had a reaction to the heat and lack of fresh air flow in the restaurant. It was giving us a little bit of a headache at the end of it, so I can only imagine the effect it would have on an overweight, older woman who just stuffed down a pound of pasta and many glasses of warm wine (which she was). If I’m ever on the Amalfi Coast again I will go to this restaurant for sure! It was incredibly affordable, too (again, by NYC standards). All of the heat and commotion aside it was one of the best dining experiences I’ve had in Europe!

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Best restaurant we ate at on our one week trip to Italy in July 2012! They fed us plates and plates of antipasto - so much that we could barely eat our meals! It was fantastic and I'd highly recommend to any future travelers.

1  Thank rachel_sings
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We found Restaurant Il Cantuccio by accident having taken a green fun bus tour from Sorrento to Massa Lubrenese, while we tried to kill some time waiting for our transfer to Naples Airport. Delighted we made the effort. The food was wonderful, the service friendly, the waiter recommended a great wine and the view was superb. We'll defintiely be back. And might even stay - the rooms look huge and airy and while it is a 10 minute ride from Sorrento, there is a really wonderful feeling to the place - it seems like a million miles away from the hurley-burley of Sorrento.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

We had lunch here while hiring a boat for the day from sorrento to see the coast.
The lunch at il Cantuccio was one of the highlights of the day.
We had a table right on the waters edge and felt like we were in paradise! The food was fantastic, lots of fresh seafood and great wine too!
After lunch you're whine to use the restaurants deck chairs on the beach to relax.