“Great hotel, clean and good for Venice”
Review of Hotel Martello

Hotel Martello
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Marghera
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Stayed here with my wife for two nights. Very clean hotel and room, looks newly decorated. Room was a little small, bathroom was a shower room so you had to close the door or water could splash the bed. Breakfast was fine: some bread rolls, croissant and jam/cheese/chocolate spread. Choice of tea or ground coffee (we had coffee which was lovely and strong).
Location is good, short walk to either the bus (number 6 or 6/) to Pl. Roma, Venice or to Mestre Station. Nice and quiet sort of residential area, so if you want to have a nice meal out or do something else you should do that in Venice itself.
Would stay here again if returning.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robbo_Traveller

Reviewed November 7, 2011

Though it's on the mainland, the hotel has a decent location, being a 5-7 minute walk away from the bus stop where you can take the very frequently running 6 or 6/ to Venizia St Lucia. It's also about the same distance from the Mestre train station where pretty much every train to or from Venezia st lucia stop. The breakfast is quite good and reasonably priced. And there's a little cafe + restaurant called Cafe Verra a couple of minutes away with some great food.
What we were most impressed with, however, was the excellent service and advice provided to us by our hostess. My first impression of her was that of my high school headmistress. It was further reinforced a minute later when she sat us down, pulled up a map and proceeded to give us the most thorough understanding of the city, Martello's location, the attractions, transport facilities and dining places I have ever had in 15 minutes. She speaks French, Italian and English with great fluency, so communication shouldn't be an issue. We got to know her better over the next couple of days and built a wonderful acquaintance with a lovely lady. Great place. Will DEFINITELY stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HariniIyengar
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I was happy with hotel its self and room. The location is good as you're close enough to the main part of Venice by taking a bus for 15 mins and it's a 5 minute walk from the train station. Make sure to print out the map and directions to get there. The only issue I had was with the woman who was running the place. Although I am from a city with a reputation from rudeness and I am living in another city with a reputation for bad service I found her to be quite off putting even for my low service standards. Initially she almost turned me away and kept having me wait for her so she could go off to do something else. When I asked for directions she gave a stern and gruffy response. I almost started to laugh on the bus when I read about how they strive to be great hosts etc... I wish I stayed at a less expensive hostel. It was really not so bad though and honestly more amusing than anything else. She could have been having a bad day. If you want to stay at a hotel in Venice this is honestly still quite a good deal, esp for two people. Another tip is that the bus is 2.50 EUR if you buy the ticket on board. She said that the tobacco shop sells them for 1 EUR but they did not when I was there. The unlimited venice pass for boats and buses should cover your ride from the hotel to the islands and back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank thetravelerfromnyc
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Don't be fooled by what it looks like from the outside. Amazing location. Amazing rooms. Amazing service. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Jfhull
Reviewed May 24, 2011

Horrible and rude is what I remember of this hotel. The room itself was not that bad. I have been to worst. It was the service and rudeness that absolutely made me feel disgusted and wish no one to experience it.

My friend and I are most usually very polite and well mannered. We were traveling around Europe for a month and never had a problem communicating with other people in other hotels even when they did not speak English. But we were yelled at here when we tried to reason with them! I would never imagined to be yelled at by someone who works at a hotel, especially since the hotel is "family run" and prides itself in being friends of the guests.

I picked to stay at this place after reading good reviews on here but I guess the reviews are outdated. They were just mean people and I would never go back.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank jiajiamei
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Wife and I spent four nights at the Hotel Martello. We have previously stayed inside Venice at several different B & B's at twice the price and half the value. This hotel is also located in a quiet residential area with no buses or busy street traffic in the area. The staff at Martello is very friendly and English speaking. They provide lots of good information on how to easily get into Venice. We did not take the 5 euro breakfast special because we had just arrived for the US and slept late past the breakfast times. There is a small cafe a block away that we would get our morning cafe, etc, on the way to the bus stop. The Martello is located on the mainland, one 10 min train stop from Venice. Or the bus stop is actually closer, a 5 min walk, train, 10 to 15 min walk. Cost 1 euro each way to Venice, buses run every 15 to 20 min, even on Sundays. We took the bus most times. We also eat in a local restaurant two blocks away called Pizza Capri. Great selection of Pizzas, more than 80 + selections. Also had great selection of other Italian foods. We ate there several times. I would get there around 7 or before, they open for dinner at 5 pm. The place starts to get packed from about 7:30 and on with the local population. Another indication that it is a great place to eat. Prices are also half of what you will pay in Venice. Don't miss this place!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank baci84
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I can't complement this hotel enough.Five minute walk from Mestre station (Use the back exit of the station) to the hotel,and a two minute walk to the bus stop from the hotel for the number 6 or 6/ bus which run to and from Venice every ten minutes.
The owner is very polite and very helpful,giving you a short briefing of how to get to and from Venice by marking the bus stops on a map she gives to you on arrival.
The rooms are very clean,the bathroom and shower are gleaming.
Breakfast is well worth having at 5 euros per couple,but make sure you make your reservation the day before.
Make sure you take a trip to Burano,it is absolutely beautiful.Board boat number 41 or 42 from Venice,you won't regret it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends