“Bed bugs and terrible customer service”
Review of Colombo

Colombo
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Marghera
Tulsa, OK
“Bed bugs and terrible customer service”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The bed I was given was infested with bed bugs. I had over fifty bites on my person, fifteen of them on my face. When I went down to complain, the night receptionist told me they could move the following day and that they had no other vacancies that night. When I told him I'd be sleeping in the lobby, he magically found a room that was practically empty. After being moved, I was not bitten again. I asked to see the manager multiple times and was always told he'd be around at a different point in the day. Finally, on my last evening, I asked a different receptionist to please call the manager so I could discuss being refunded some of my stay. After this man was extremely unhelpful, he eventually rung the manager who seemed very apologetic on the phone and agreed to give me a refund for the two nights I was in the infested room as well as a meal voucher for my last night. Satisfied, I gave the phone back to the receptionist, who said something to the manager, hung up, and then told me there was nothing he could do for me. I protested that the manager had just said to refund me two nights, but he refused and told me I could wait to see the boss when he was there in an hour. Guess who was not there an hour later. I asked him to call again, he said he was talking to the manager online, and at that point I was so frustrated I started to cry. He must have told his boss I was making a scene (and you can bet I showed everyone who asked all of my marks) because he eventually slid me ONE night's refund and a meal voucher and said that's what his boss told him to do. While the receptionist's attitude wasn't the greatest, I think the management needs to get itself in line. This is absolutely unacceptable. The receptionist tried to compare my asking for money back to deciding mid-way through a meal at a restaurant that I didn't like what I was served and asking for my money back. Just so everyone knows what is included in your stay: BED BUGS.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sarah F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 20, 2012

It was an alright location for outside of Venice. We stayed due to the flooding in Venice and it was only a 10 minute bus ride from the hostel to get into Venice. Unfortunately, the walls were covered with dead bug smears and we had to kill a few spiders in the room. Another girl staying at the hostel explained that she found a cockroach in her breakfast. The beds were horrible, we woke up with bruises from the springs that were forcing themselves into us all night. Also, our bathroom door didn't have a lock on it so thank god the two girls we shared a room with were trustworthy and normal. Although the staff was very friendly and helpful, the next time I go to Venice, I will not be staying here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brian P

Travelers are raving about these Marghera hotels

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We (party of 3 female students) stayed here for one night in early December. NOT as bad as reviews suggest, rather it's a typical hostel. Our room had one big full bed and one twin, a TV, and an ensuite bathroom. Could have been cleaner, but not unhygienic--just a tired hostel, really. Shower was a little sketchy, so we didn't use it. Room was quiet and served our needs, which were really just a safe place to stay, reliable wifi, and close to the rail station while we explored the city of Venice.
We did not spend a lot of time in the hostel or surrounding area as we just wanted to explore the island of Venice (a 10-15 minute train ride away, tickets only 1.30 euro), and it worked fine for that. If you're not used to staying in hostels or want a hotel experience, avoid it, but if you're a traveler looking for a cheap, convenient place to stay, this is a good bet.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The only positive thing about this hotel is the close proximity to the train station (other than that there is NOTHING positive). When it comes to reading these posts from other travelers, I need to honestly take better care in the difference of opinions that are posted, because people really do tell the truth. I arrived to my room with smeared dead bugs and dried mucus on the walls - I don't know how housekeeping could have missed this. I am ashamed to say but I had to stay in the room for the first night. The next morning, I went to the reception and asked where were the rooms posted on the website picture gallery and if any were available? He replied, "That side (I assume the hotel side) was fully booked." When I booked my room, the website stated that hotel rooms will have private bathrooms, which mine did - I still don't know if I was on the hostel or hotel side. As I was questioning the receptionist my room was being cleaned, or lack thereof, by the maid service. When I returned to the room to gather my bags I found not one, not two, but five surprises:

The bed was made
Bugs and mucus still on walls
THREE roaches in my room (pics will follow)

I took pictures of everything and went back to the receptionist and demanded that I receive a refund for my non-refundable room. After some hassle, I left that PLACE with my refunded money in hand. PLEASE, do not waste your time or money staying in a place that will give you this much trouble. Remember to take heed and read these posts very carefully.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank J R
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed August 1, 2012

The hotel is very simple.
The hotel is near the train station and the bus station in Mestre. The connection to Venice is very simple and cheap. You can use Wifi in front of the reception. No Wifi in room.
The room is very basic but clean.

In this hotel I have only one problem: during the day they stop climatisation in the room! When you return to your room you must start climatisation and stand 30 min before you have a good temperature.

I can recommand this cheap and basic hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Talamona, Italy
Reviewed September 4, 2011

simply horrible. rooms full of dust. depressed and foreign staff. NO RESTAURANT!!!! dirty curtains. rusty shower and toilet. no tv in single rooms. mosquitos everywhere, it was impossible to sleep. they didn't give us new towels, we had to use those ones we brought from home. they didn't make our beds. shower curtain full of mold. the hotel was divided into 2 buldings. they accept only credit cards. everything was absolutely HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank 95miyu
Hannover
Reviewed January 5, 2009

Be careful - owner resists on cash payment but also debits credit card, that was used only to guarantee booking!!!

Rooms quiet OK, apart from dirty bathroom, not working a/c and no international TV

There are better places just 10 more minutes away from Venice

• Liked — a dry place for the night
  • Disliked — double charge of room price
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank HLX1973
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marghera
Nuova Aurora
#2 of 2 in Malcontenta
Hotel Villa Costanza
Hotel Villa Costanza
#2 of 58 in Mestre

Been to Colombo? Share your experiences!