“Disappointed”

Hop Farm Family Park
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hop Farm Family Park is Kent's major visitor attraction. Open everyday (except on special event days). Pay/play rides/attractions and more.
Kent
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Since The Hop Farm has been taken over by new owners it has deteriorated.
The History of The Hops has disappeared in favour of video recordings (after all this was originally a large hop garden and is still called a Hop Farm). The history was originally housed in one of the original Oast Houses with all the equipment set out and a comprehensive description of the industry - alas, ALL gone.
The whole area is now devoted to lac-lustre entertainment for 3 - 12 year olds.
After paying a large amount amount of money to get in we were extremely surprised that there was a further charge of £3 for face painting - can you believe that?
Admission is £14.95 for adults ( but nothing for an adult to participate in), £12.95 for children.
The Carousel ride only operated at certain times, as did all the other attractions.
They had Sheep Racing where the sheep were only interested in eating the grass on the "track", they did not race - pathetic.
All-in-all this attraction is dramatically over-priced. People were leaving after it had only been open for a couple of hours.

2 Thank Frank_1Kent

London
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

It was the first visit to Hop Farm for my partner and I, our 2&half year old and my wheelchair bound Mum. We thought the word 'Farm' meant that it would feel like an actual farm, as we have visited excellent ones in Surrey, but instead it was a bizarre mix of attractions, with a small corner for the animals. There didn't appear to be a theme.

Issues I found:

1) there was a dog poop in one of the outdoor sandpits, attracting a lot of flies and making the sandpit area stink of poop. On one of the hottest days of the year.

2) the indoor sandpit was abandoned and a huge disappointment to my son

3) at least half of the access 'ramps' into attractions had a 'lip' on them which meant I had to tilt my rather heavy Mum in her wheelchair, very difficult

4) the sticker collecting sheet that is given to kids seemed hard to achieve as staff held events at times that were not clearly shown. For example, we just happened to arrive in the right place at the right time for the sheep race

5) the animal feed is very expensive for the amount you get, £1 for about a third of a bag.

6) one of the Shire horses appeared to be tethered with his face away from the open stable door, so basically you could only see his rear. The other three horses were able to look out of their door and interact with visitors etc. Perhaps the other horse is a 'biter' but surely if he's tethered up seven days a week he's going to get frustrated? Better that he was moved on to a more suitable home where he wouldn't be restricted like this...

7) the gift shop was very sad and tired

So all in all, it was handy for where my Mum lives but we won't ever be going again.

1 Thank em1980
UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great for younger kids”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Lots to see and do for younger kids. entertainers and giant inflatable cushions were fun. throw in soft play, games, tractor rides, face painting and so on. our 3 year old loved it. we'll be going back soon.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Deteriorated facilities”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We have visited the hop farm many times in recent years with our grandson but doubt very much if we'll bother to visit again after our recent experience. We were very disappointed with the eating facilities - the main restaurant which used to be very good is now closed so the only food available was burgers or tired sandwiches in the overcrowded and dirty cafe near the indoor play area. Several advertised attraction were not available, without any explanation. Our grandson was disappointed that the carousel shut down at 4.00pm which seems ridiculously early in the middle of the school holidays.

2 Thank Klaus G
Canterbury, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Disappointed this year”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Last year I took my kids twice to this and thought it one of the best value attractions ever. They loved it and have never stopped asking to go back. For the money it was full on fun for the kids all day - not so great for the adults (although I thought the waxworks one of the best laid out I've seen and having a decent pub nearby helped) but somewhere the children are constantly engaged is a godsend. I'm afraid that this year we were disappointed. Many of the things they loved have been removed and this hadnt been reflected in a lower admission. I felt a lot of the good things had been removed leaving a bigger animal area (which they liked but we can find anywhere) and there were some staffing issues which meant some attractions did not run properly. The big top had gone and there were less shows, but i MUST give a big thank you to the entertainment staff who, though small in number. worked tirelessly and hard all day. I would love to support this type of place but must end by saying that it has turned from a MUST-SEE place to a MIGHT NOT BOTHER NEXT YEAR.

1 Thank Rick186311