“Delicious food, charismatic owner”

Il Giardino di Epicuro
Ranked #1 of 59 Restaurants in Maratea
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Having read ravishing reviews about Giardino di Epicuro on tripadvisor, we decided to give it a try and never regretted it for a minute. The restaurant quickly became our favourite place in the area, to which we returned four times. It is family run and has a unique homey atmosphere where you are made feel truly cherished.
On our first visit we were given a menu, however, the owner was quick to recommend some freshly made dishes not on the menu. After a bad experience in the old town of Maratea where a waiter wanted to charge us 50 Euro for a bottle of wine instead of 15 as initially told (not listed in the menu, this wine was recommended by the waiter, who quoted a price of 15 Euro (repeating "one-five" several times)), we were a bit wary of ordering off the menu. But when the bill arrived, prices were exactly the same as told by the owner.
The food is typical of the region and cooked from fresh seasonal produce, which makes it so delicious. At that time it was mushroom season, when porcini and cantarelli were in abundance, so we could not miss a chance to try various types of pasta with these mushrooms. That was beyond description... The only thought of that pasta still makes my mouth water. We also had succulent steaks of an enormous size served with home-grown tomatoes of an equally big size, and fish soup a-la bouillabaisse served in a bowl that occupied almost half of our table. Everything we ate there was fabulous and I am struggling to pick a highlight of the menu.
A definite highlight of the restaurant in terms of atmosphere is the owner himself – a charismatic Italian man promising to give his guests the freshest and the best and delivering on this.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I really was not expecting such good food in a remote location. All of the products are locally sourced and perfectly prepared. Many of the products are actually produced by the family that owns the restaurant. Antonio and his sister run the front end while mama is in the kitchen. I'm not a big mushroom fan but here I loved the mushrooms. We had mushrooms and the house ham with the best ricotta cheese for an appetizer. The pasta course was a mushroom pasta and ravioli. The entree was a simple grilled shrimp and grilled mushrooms that tasted incredible. Desert was a homemade cake. The service was friendly and professional. They really knew how to make you feel at home. The house wine was so good I asked them to sell me a couple of bottles so I can give some to my Italian friends that were also quite impressed by it. If your anywhere near this restaurant do visit it worth the trip.

1  Thank ThePhotoGourmet
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Food local and incredibly fresh - all cooked from scratch - great atmosphere with all the family being involved in the cooking, serving and presnetation. Weel worth a visit

Reviewed September 27, 2012

While spending the week in Maratea IL Giardino di Epicuro was recommended to us by some people we had met that were staying at the same resort. We made the short drive to Massa from Maratea. To our pleasure there was ample parking. We were greated at the door by the owner and were promptly seated. The service was friendly and prompt. The food was excellant. The owner made me a special plate of Gnochi with a truffle sauce that was fantastic. A great place to go if you are looking for a real authentic home like italian dining experience.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

A lovely location with an enthusiastic owner who makes sure that you get the best available.
Ask for local everything and that's what you'll get , mostly from his own farm it seems.
Beware of the huge portions of meat however !
I'm not American so struggled with the biggest T-Bone steak that I've ever seen.

Local vino rossi is great , pasta is home made and gorgeous.

All in all , magnificent !