“My new homne in Italy: Excellent food in a family setting” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Il Giardino di Epicuro

Il Giardino di Epicuro
Ranked #1 of 52 Restaurants in Maratea
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New York City, New York
“My new homne in Italy: Excellent food in a family setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I really was not expecting such good food in a remote location. All of the products are locally sourced and perfectly prepared. Many of the products are actually produced by the family that owns the restaurant. Antonio and his sister run the front end while mama is in the kitchen. I'm not a big mushroom fan but here I loved the mushrooms. We had mushrooms and the house ham with the best ricotta cheese for an appetizer. The pasta course was a mushroom pasta and ravioli. The entree was a simple grilled shrimp and grilled mushrooms that tasted incredible. Desert was a homemade cake. The service was friendly and professional. They really knew how to make you feel at home. The house wine was so good I asked them to sell me a couple of bottles so I can give some to my Italian friends that were also quite impressed by it. If your anywhere near this restaurant do visit it worth the trip.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank ThePhotoGourmet

Great Missenden, null, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Food local and incredibly fresh - all cooked from scratch - great atmosphere with all the family being involved in the cooking, serving and presnetation. Weel worth a visit

Visited September 2012
Oldsmar, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

While spending the week in Maratea IL Giardino di Epicuro was recommended to us by some people we had met that were staying at the same resort. We made the short drive to Massa from Maratea. To our pleasure there was ample parking. We were greated at the door by the owner and were promptly seated. The service was friendly and prompt. The food was excellant. The owner made me a special plate of Gnochi with a truffle sauce that was fantastic. A great place to go if you are looking for a real authentic home like italian dining experience.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Alton, United Kingdom
“Yum Yum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

A lovely location with an enthusiastic owner who makes sure that you get the best available.
Ask for local everything and that's what you'll get , mostly from his own farm it seems.
Beware of the huge portions of meat however !
I'm not American so struggled with the biggest T-Bone steak that I've ever seen.

Local vino rossi is great , pasta is home made and gorgeous.

All in all , magnificent !

• Visited September 2012
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“What a find...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I recently attended a conference in Maratea with a colleague and his wife. We're from the Midwest and this was our first trip to this region of Italy. I tend to use Tripadvisor when I'm in an unknown area because it's almost always dead on. Once again, Trip advisor came through.

Our trip started in Rome (2 days), but after a long drive (~5 hours), we landed in Maratea. We had already eaten at some nice places in Rome, but Il Giardino di Epicuro instantly provided the best meal up to that point. The antipasti plate was filled with meats and cheeses that actually come from Antonio's (Owner) farm. I've never had Chorizo this fresh. Actually, it's worth mentioning that almost everything comes from their farm, which helps add to the freshness and quality of the food. The entire family (Mom, Sister, Dad, Antonio), along with a few helpers (probably family), run this restaurant. The locals frequent this establishment from what I could see, but Antonio said that they get a few folks from England and Australia, which is why they keep one english menu on hand. This is always a plus for an American with only a few Italian words at his disposal. :) Thankfully, Antonio and his sister both speak good english. Back to the food....We kept it simple during our first visit because I think we were all a bit tired after the drive. The Ravoli was spot on. I'm not a huge dessert guy, but the chocolate cake was also delicious.

We were so excited with the service and food that we decided to invite some business colleagues from the conference for another dinner at Il Giardino di Epicuro a few nights later. We made reservations this time around, which provided Antonio the necessary time to prepare some fresh fish/shellfish from the sea that was caught earlier in the day . I didn't think it was possible to outdue our first experience, but Antonio managed to dazzle everyone at the table. The fresh seafood (fish/prawns) and spagehtti with clams were simply amazing. I hate anchovys and somehow Antonio managed to make them taste realy good. I guess I'd never had fresh anchovys that were caught that very same day. Essentially, the food was so good during the first night that we simply let Antonio create a customized assortment of fresh dishes for the group and he didn't let us down. The family lives on this farm, thus it had a very homestyle feel. I normally just read the reviews on Tripadvisor and don't provide a lot of my own feedback, but this restaurant deserved a lengthy review so you can gain a better understanding of just how good it was. We ate at a lot of nice places during this week long trip, but Antonio and his family provided my two favorite meals during the entire trip. I had one meal in Rome that was a close to these two, but it was third on my list and still worthy of a nice review...

Thank you again for the fantastic meals and family atmosphere. I've been lucky enough to eat at a fair number of good restaurants around the globe, but the Il Giardino di Epicuro experience if definately in my top 5 of all-time.

Thanks Antonio/family!