“Great Service”
Review of Hotel Alpino

Hotel Alpino
Ranked #11 of 71 Hotels in Malcesine
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Second time we've stayed here, and once again not disappointed. Although the rooms are slightly dated, this is a 2 star hotel that shines! rooms are very clean, we had a room at the front of the hotel, so noise from the restaurant below was unavoidable but didn't go on past 11pm, so our sleep was unaffected. We had a nice balcony that overlooked the car park in front. Breakfast was good, good choice of cereals, breads, yoghurt, meat and cheese, tea nd coffee and choice of fruit juice and water.
The beauty of this hotel is that although it is 2 star it is well run, clean and the owners are more than happy to help.
We ate at night in the hotel, as being a resident we got 10% off the evening meal which was reasonable priced and good typical italian fare. We also got a complimentary liquer after the meal - another nice touch.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who like to travel on a budget and expects clean accommodation and good service - the price is right!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank madmortons

Reviewed May 22, 2012

I stayed here in a single room for four nights in May. It was really good value for the price I paid but the single bed was uncomfortable and sloped down slightly on the right hand side. The shower was fantastic though and a good size for such a small bathroom. My room was situated at the front of the hotel and there was a lot of external noise very early in the morning from people working outside so you should take this in to consideration if you're a light sleeper. However the staff, without exception, were extremely helpful and polite and the breakfast was quite ample for me, the less choice I have the better so that I don't stuff myself first thing in the morning!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank BessMcB
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We stayed here as we were on a trip to look for a wedding location. After booking, we emailed ahead and requested a double rather than twin bed and received a swift response (within 24 hours) saying that they had reserved us a room with a double bed with mountain views. When we arrived at the hotel the manager, Domenico, was incredibly welcoming and although the hotel parking was full he directed us to a car park just a few minutes walk away which was half the price of the one in which we had parked. We stayed in room 202 - our balcony was sizey with a table and chairs and overlooked a beautiful church, Monte Baldo and the Municipio building (perfect for "people watching" in the evening). We would recommend asking for room 202 as it was high up and bigger than some of the other rooms. The room smelled fresh and was spotlessly clean as was the bathroom, with complimentary toiletries and a pretty good hair dryer. The hotel is centrally located (and I note someone has moaned about the noise of an evening) but the windows are double glazed (really thick actually) and there are shutters which not only block out all light but all noise as well, we both slept very well (8pm on one night!). The walls are fairly thin and we could hear laughter from another room on occasion but we experienced that in a hotel in Bellagio too so were not too disappointed by this and it didn't affect our ability to sleep. The room was a good size with the double bed larger than expected. Someone has mentioned the size of the shower which is on the small side but was perfectly usable and didn't cause us any trouble.

Breakfast was as you would expect in Italy, yoghurt, fruit, cheese, pastries but it was lovely that the croissants were kept warm and fresh in a little warmer which was a really nice touch and the chap on duty at breakfast was friendly and welcoming and the atmosphere generally was very good with nice background music and not at all stale as we have found in some hotels. We didn't eat in the restaurant as we wanted to check out lots of different places for our wedding but it was always busy and the staff seemed to work very hard.

You should definitely go up Monte Baldo - the views are spectacular (little pricey at 20 euro each but worth it) as are the views from Malcesine Castle - another must do (6 euro each).

We drove to Verona and Domenico gave us tips on parking (Arena Parking) and was more than happy for guests to use the internet on the computer in the hotel bar at no charge which was invaluable to us (as we were wedding planning). He really was a breath of fresh air and truly made us feel completely at home. The bar staff were very friendly and were only too happy to help as was the lady on reception who helped us out with directions to a couple of places we wanted to get to, she was always smiling and as Domenico, made us feel very welcome.

Only downside was that there was not a kettle in the room (we are English and can never have too much tea!) but we were able to buy hot drinks at the bar and take them to our room so no problem there. Also, we did get a little chilly a couple of times during the night but had it been a big enough issue to mention (which it wasn't), we are sure it would have been dealt with without hesitation.

We have decided to get married in Malcesine and we will definitely be staying at Hotel Alpino when we do and we will be recommending that our guests join us there - it really is a great little place, brought to life by Domenico and the rest of the staff. We feel that this hotel is of a standard far exceeding 2 stars and is great value for money.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 202, which is on the top floor to the front of the hotel with balcony and side win...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jo_0110
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Having read reviews on this site I decided to give Hotel Alpino a go,though a little nervous it being graded 2*. We arrived on a cold wet afternoon -April 11th 2012. Delighted to find the heating was on in the room. The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean, a large comfortable bed. We had a side room- 206 with a balcony. Wonderful close view of the church and mountain when looking left from the balcony, looking right, a charming alley with a glimpse of the lake and mountains the other side of the lake. All the staff were most helpful and worked extremely hard. We thought we would try the food in the hotel the first night then explore other ristorante on other nights. We found the restaurant was well used by locals - a good sign. We enjoyed the food so much we ate in every night, and the 'Boss' gave us a 10% discount each evening, he also offered us a complementary liquor after our meal each night. Do go on the cable car the views from the top of the mountain are spectacular, especially as we had snow up there from the day before. Malcesine has a good boat service to other towns on the lake. It was fairly straight forward to get to Malcesine by public bus from Verona, but it does take a little over two hours cost 11euros each. On our return journey to the airport the hotel reception arranged a cab for us at 18 euros each - a bargain! (normal price about 100euros) It took one hour, if you contact them they will arrange for pick up from the airport, well worth the money for the comfort and convenience.Good location family run hotel, would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Second floor side room we had room 206. (No one above you!) Lift available. Sorry No swimming pool...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank tedbandme
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Return visit to Malcesine to a great little hotel perfectly located for all attractions , restaurant well used by locals usually a good sign

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank kennyg47
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Very well located, easy and quick to get to the lake/ferry terminal, castle, cable car and bus station. Owners and staff were pleasant and helpful, though very busy and occasionally hard to get hold of. I had room 205 which was fairly small but perfectly fine for me staying on my own, the shower was rather small so be aware if you are of a larger build you may have problems. This was a corner room part facing an alley down which you could see a tiny glimpse of the lake and part facing the mountains and main road. I didn't feel the noise was too bad coming from the road at night (as others have complained of) but it was October and the nights were cool so I did not need to leave the window open. However that said the walls may as well have been curtains for all the noise that came through from the adjoining rooms and the corridor, which as a very light sleeper was my only real complaint. (I appreciate you will experience noise from adjoining rooms in most budget hotels but I found this to be one of the noisiest). Overall a good hotel for the money you pay. Oh, and I ate in the hotel one evening (not having gone half board) and I thought the meal I had was very tasty.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank WishfulThinking72
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Hotel Alpino is a charming family-run 2* hotel. I booked this hotel based on previous reviews and was not disappointed with my choice.

My single room was basic, comfortable, clean and practical. I had a single bed, good sized wardrobe, dressing table, free standing fan and flat screen television. The bathroom (shower only) was compact but my only complaint would be that there was not enough space to store my toiletries: being a woman I do have quite a few!

In front of the hotel is a car park. So yes during the night (until around 2am some nights) you do get a fair bit of noise as people tend to use the car park as a meeting point. Shutting my balcony door drowned out most of the noise and I managed to sleep OK, but I could see this being a problem especially during the hotter months. Perhaps requesting a room at the back of the hotel might solve this problem? Free WiFi was available in the reception area and sometimes in the bathroom!?

Breakfast was a self-service buffet. I would advise people to get there as early as possible, because although breakfast is served until 9.30am by 9am there is hardly anything left. On a couple of mornings I had to find staff and ask for the coffee and milk jugs to be refilled after waiting for quite some time.

Most nights I ate at the hotel's restaurant and really enjoyed the food and service there.

All the staff at Hotel Alpino were approachable, patient and invaluable sources of information.

Lake Garda is stunning. The views (whether you're sitting on the shore of the lake or standing on top of Monte Baldo) are breath taking. I would love to go back to Malcesine and I would stay at Hotel Alpino again - I would just get up a bit earlier for breakfast!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo